Help! Does this Prop work with This?

Qwenther

I scratch built the FT Alpha and am using the FT power pack F kit for minis with the emax 2205 motor. I had to replace the original 6x3 prop that came with the power pack kit after a few hard landings and I'm using an APC 6x4 prop I got from a local hobby store. The last 3 times I tried to fly it, about a minute and a half after take off the motor did a major down shift in power without me moving the throttle. I got it on the ground safely and found that the esc was hot. Is it possible that the 6x4 prop is causing the motor to draw too much current the esc forcing it into a self protection fail safe mode? If so, would swapping the 6x4 prop for a 6x3 prop similar to the original one that came with the kit fix this issue?

FastCrash45

Elite member
I scratch built the FT Alpha and am using the FT power pack F kit for minis with the emax 2205 motor. I had to replace the original 6x3 prop that came with the power pack kit after a few hard landings and I'm using an APC 6x4 prop I got from a local hobby store. The last 3 times I tried to fly it, about a minute and a half after take off the motor did a major down shift in power without me moving the throttle. I got it on the ground safely and found that the esc was hot. Is it possible that the 6x4 prop is causing the motor to draw too much current the esc forcing it into a self protection fail safe mode? If so, would swapping the 6x4 prop for a 6x3 prop similar to the original one that came with the kit fix this issue?
I would say you need to go back to the 6x3. The 6x4 is too much for it causing a brown out condition of the motor. Or you need to run 2s which I think would be a bit under powered.

Qwenther

I would say you need to go back to the 6x3. The 6x4 is too much for it causing a brown out condition of the motor. Or you need to run 2s which I think would be a bit under powered.
So if going back to a 6x3 prop is ideal, does it matter if the prop is an apc or does it need to be a standard prop?