Dollar Tree foam Substitute?

synesis

Hello, I live in Norway and can't get hold on Dollar tree foam boards.
Would kapaline boards work? Their like foam covered with paper I think.
Any other suggestions?

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Those would probably work fine. There's an article around here somewhere that one of the guys used that stuff for a foam board build.
The Dollar Tree stuff is polystyrene that has paper on both sides.

There are plenty of alternatives.
The reason so many of us (here in the states) use the Dollar Tree stuff is because it's so cheap and available.

lonewolf7717

The kapaline type material i have used held up very well. Hobby Lobby here in the United States sells some of what appears to be kapaline although pretty pricey for us. It seems to cut a little cleaner making for a crisper looking build and a bit more resilient in crashes or rough landings. Used the kapaline material on a few models that were belly landers (no gear) just on the belly were it would hold up well to all the bumps and scrapes of landing. Kapaline I used though paper backing is not removable, will destroy foam if you try and the paper used is more like a heavy laminate so will result in a heavier build. I thought in Norway you guys had access to depron for very little cost as it is a popular floor insulator in Europe?

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Depron is the stuff if you can get it. Here in Australia it is still pretty pricey, though I managed to stock up at 0.50 to $1 per sheet (A1 size) in 3mm depron from an art shop which has since changed hands (and no longer stocks depron).

In fact the depron was likely packaging for (expensive) foam-board, and so sold cheap!

robschonk

I think almost any craft or office supply store sells the equivalent. It's used for mounting pictures, school projects etc. Try a teachers supply store too.

origamipilot

I thought in Norway you guys had access to depron for very little cost as it is a popular floor insulator in Europe?[/QUOTE said:
you need to look hard to find it. some people use depron but most people use something different. wherever I looked the only reason they still sold depron was because hobbyists bought it. Also depron is like 10 dollars a sheet

Dr.Waffles

Where do you get depron or kapaline? i can't seem to find it anywhere in Norway. Probably searching in the wrong stores. Also what thickness is the standard for scratch building? EDIT I found something called Expofoam and wondering if it will work. For anyone in Norway it's athttp://www.luth.no/grafisk/skumplaterkartong?acr=1

Last edited:

origamipilot

Where do you get depron or kapaline? i can't seem to find it anywhere in Norway. Probably searching in the wrong stores. Also what thickness is the standard for scratch building? EDIT I found something called Expofoam and wondering if it will work. For anyone in Norway it's athttp://www.luth.no/grafisk/skumplaterkartong?acr=1
do not buy expofoam! it is reinforced with aluminium. instead buy kapaline. luth.no also sells this.

Dr.Waffles

Thanks. Luth.no sells packages of 24 sheets for something like $12! but is the paper covering removable? and would depron be a better alternative?

origamipilot

Tar dette på norsk (sorry this is in Norwegian)."Luth.no sells packages of 24 sheets for something like $12!" desverre er det ikke sånn. 95kr pr plate og man må kjøpe minst 24. det betyr at man må minst betale 2280kr. Jeg kontaktet dem selv for mer informasjon men ble skuffet med dette svaret.
holder meg til depron jeg.
veldig hjelpsom video https://youtu.be/iGwZX77Fjgg