Dominator KFm3 wing, Beta release

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Great maiden - good job! That thing does have some speed to it. Btw, I picked up an 8x8 prop today - should be good on the racer with 4s!
I used a 9x7 on mine, mind you the nose intakes are large like the Edge so it need the larger prop to get the wash around it. I will use the same prop on 4s to see the difference. If you keep the fuse slim the 8x8 will work awesome.

I was gonna try the 8x8 on the Dominator today but went 8x6 instead. It was enough for this wing. If it was a Goblin. which I might do again, but at 115%, the 8x8 would make sense

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I used a 9x7 on mine, mind you the nose intakes are large like the Edge so it need the larger prop to get the wash around it. I will use the same prop on 4s to see the difference. If you keep the fuse slim the 8x8 will work awesome.

I was gonna try the 8x8 on the Dominator today but went 8x6 instead. It was enough for this wing. If it was a Goblin. which I might do again, but at 115%, the 8x8 would make sense
Yeah, I’m going to narrow the fuse to touch the power pod on either side. It’s too fat IMO. I get they were modeling it after a plane, but I’m not building it because of that - it’s gonna be a speed plane. :devilish:

danskis

Master member
I should be starting mine soon....looking forward to testing it with Hai Lee's bungee launcher.

Hai Lee - I'm really interested in finding out about mix rates. I just bought a Jumper T8 but haven't been able to get elevons set up on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Dan

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I should be starting mine soon....looking forward to testing it with Hai Lee's bungee launcher.

Hai Lee - I'm really interested in finding out about mix rates. I just bought a Jumper T8 but haven't been able to get elevons set up on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Dan
The launcher will work so well as long as you remember to not apply throttle until after the bungee has detached from the plane and is clear of the propeller.

I do not have anything that uses open Tx or deviation as yet! I will look into the deviation manual but perhaps someone who uses one could step in and answer your question!

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT

Dan
This might help with elevons basic setup!

Have fun!

danskis

Master member
The Hanger - thanks for updating the plans. I'll probably be able to build this without the updated plans (but I've said that before ;<)

Hai Lee - thanks for doing the web search for the Jumper. I started with that video and made some progress but still no working elevons....it will just take a little time. We'll see if its worth it.

I've got a FlySky I6 - can you change the mix ratios for the aileron/elevator with that radio?

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The Hanger - thanks for updating the plans. I'll probably be able to build this without the updated plans (but I've said that before ;<)

Hai Lee - thanks for doing the web search for the Jumper. I started with that video and made some progress but still no working elevons....it will just take a little time. We'll see if its worth it.

I've got a FlySky I6 - can you change the mix ratios for the aileron/elevator with that radio?
I use and teach on the flysky iA6 and changing the mix ratio on the flysky is very easy

To find out the current elevon ratio go to the "Functions setup menu"
next select "elevon"
You will see "CH1 50%, CH2 50%".
CH1 is roll and CH2 is pitch!
From there you can access the percentages by hitting the "OK" button and adjust the percentages up or down. Press and hold the "Cancel" button to enter the new ratios.

Have fun!

danskis

Master member
My version....thanks for the plans!! This is my first post with pics. Plane.jpg

I tried some new things on this plane. Before putting the Velcro in the battery box I put down a coat of hot glue and spread it thin to coat the bottom of the box. Hopefully this will keep the velcro attached and not pull the paper off. I also made a hold down with gift cards and rubber band. Hold down 1.jpg hold down.jpg

Since wings are really sensitive to balance....especially those with all the weight close to the balance point, I put some skewers on the wing edges to help balance the plane. I'll take them off once it flys. Balance.jpg

The red board is Elmers from Micheal's....it doesn't iron very well. This is the first plane I've ironed the edges and I'll be doing that from now on.

I made some different linkages, straight from "Old Guy" on RCGRoups. BBQ skewers and shrink tape. linkage.jpg

I'm also going to maiden it with Hai Lee's bungee launcher. Not sure when that will be as its snowing now.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
My version....thanks for the plans!! This is my first post with pics. View attachment 157627

I tried some new things on this plane. Before putting the Velcro in the battery box I put down a coat of hot glue and spread it thin to coat the bottom of the box. Hopefully this will keep the velcro attached and not pull the paper off. I also made a hold down with gift cards and rubber band. View attachment 157628 View attachment 157629

Since wings are really sensitive to balance....especially those with all the weight close to the balance point, I put some skewers on the wing edges to help balance the plane. I'll take them off once it flys. View attachment 157630

The red board is Elmers from Micheal's....it doesn't iron very well. This is the first plane I've ironed the edges and I'll be doing that from now on.

I made some different linkages, straight from "Old Guy" on RCGRoups. BBQ skewers and shrink tape. View attachment 157631

I'm also going to maiden it with Hai Lee's bungee launcher. Not sure when that will be as its snowing now.
That's awesome. I like the red. That's weird the red FB didn't iron out so well, was the iron not hot enough?

danskis

Master member
It's an old iron that I've had for over 20 years so maybe not hot enough even though it was turned up as far as it would go. The Elmers is a much different animal than DTFB - much denser (and heavier) with much thicker paper. It will iron but it only compresses about half as much as the DTFB.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It's an old iron that I've had for over 20 years so maybe not hot enough even though it was turned up as far as it would go. The Elmers is a much different animal than DTFB - much denser (and heavier) with much thicker paper. It will iron but it only compresses about half as much as the DTFB.
Just the material is made of then. I try to stick to the Adams as much as possible

whackflyer

Master member
New plans are added to the first post! Big thanks to @The Hangar for redoing them! This is pretty much the final version, there will be some small changes yet that won't effect how it builds or flies, they'll be added shortly...

Last edited:

danskis

Master member
Maiden flight impressions:
Disclaimer: I haven't flown in a while and it was 35 degrees out.

The good news is that it flew on the second hand launch, I then lost orientation and deadsticked it in with minimal damage. The third hand launch I lowered the rates and had a great flight despite the 10-15mph winds. The guy who launched it said "wow its fast" and that wasn't full throttle.

It is true to form for KF wings in that it doesn't glide. Deadstick landings are full up elevator.

I'll have to get some more flights on it for a better review but if you're used to flying wings then this is a good one to add to the quiver. Plus its a really easy low stress build. If you want to learn how to fly wings the Versa Wing in tractor orientation is the way to go (or a slow epp wing that you can't break)

What I did different: I tend to build pretty heavy as a trade off for durability (such as it is with foam). That said my middle layer is almost the same shape as the bottom layer - it goes all the way to the motor and across the electronics bay/fuselage. I really liked the bbq skewers I put in the leading edge of the wings as a pivot for the balance point - they made it really easy to balance this wing. I also used some Elmers foam board - the red stuff in the above pics. Next time I think I would put it on the bottom to help protect the plane in landings. I also put some skewers on the wing tips next to the elevator slot where the vertical rudders attach.

Motor: 2204 2400rpm w/5X4.5BN prop (http://rctimer.com/?product-1573.html) - I think I'd upgrade this to a stronger one about the same size - I was just being cheap when I bought this one.
About 5-8mm of up elevon to launch
The CG was spot on (thanks for that!!!)
Rate 50% Expo 30 (once I get used to the plane I'll be able to make this a bit more radical but this was a good place to start for me)

Last edited:

whackflyer

Master member
Maiden flight impressions:
Disclaimer: I haven't flown in a while and it was 35 degrees out.

The good news is that it flew on the second hand launch, I then lost orientation and deadsticked it in with minimal damage. The third hand launch I lowered the rates and had a great flight despite the 10-15mph winds. The guy who launched it said "wow its fast" and that wasn't full throttle.

It is true to form for KF wings in that it doesn't glide. Deadstick landings are full up elevator.

I'll have to get some more flights on it for a better review but if you're used to flying wings then this is a good one to add to the quiver. Plus its a really easy low stress build. If you want to learn how to fly wings the Versa Wing in tractor orientation is the way to go (or a slow epp wing that you can't break)

What I did different: I tend to build pretty heavy as a trade off for durability (such as it is with foam). That said my middle layer is almost the same shape as the bottom layer - it goes all the way to the motor and across the electronics bay/fuselage. I really liked the bbq skewers I put in the leading edge of the wings as a pivot for the balance point - they made it really easy to balance this wing. I also used some Elmers foam board - the red stuff in the above pics. Next time I think I would put it on the bottom to help protect the plane in landings. I also put some skewers on the wing tips next to the elevator slot where the vertical rudders attach.

Motor: 2204 2400rpm w/5X4.5BN prop (http://rctimer.com/?product-1573.html) - I think I'd upgrade this to a stronger one about the same size - I was just being cheap when I bought this one.
About 5-8mm of up elevon to launch
The CG was spot on (thanks for that!!!)
Rate 50% Expo 30 (once I get used to the plane I'll be able to make this a bit more radical but this was a good place to start for me)
Great! Glad you like it!