Dominator KFm3 wing, Beta release

whackflyer

Master member
A few months ago, I sketched up some plans for a wing much like the FT Mini Arrow in size and purpose, but with a KFm3 airfoil and a wider center pod. I personally did not like how the mini arrow flew, and wanted a similar sized plane, but with better flight characteristics. So here's what I came up with.

Dominator KFm3 flying wing

Wingspan- 28"
Recommended power system- Flite Test Power Pack F
Recommended battery- 850 mAh 3s
Channels- 3
Build difficulty- 2
Pilot skill level- 2

Before you begin the build, you should have these pieces-

1x main wing plate
2x middle wing plate
2x top wing plate
2x electronics pod doubler
2x winglets
1x electronics pod
1x electronics pod cover
1x mini power pod (not on plans)

To start off the build, take your main plate, and open up and bevel the elevon hinges. Glue seal the hinges so they don't delaminate. Next, take the two middle plates, and glue them to the main plate. Do the same with the top plates. Now, put your servos in and do your linkages. I'm not going to elaborate on this because people do linkages so many different ways, so do it the way you want. Just make sure you dial in about 5mm of reflex. Now, do a 45 degree double bevel on the leading edge. You can also use an iron to create the same effect. Next, take the electronics pod, and perform a B fold on both sides. Use the tabs in the main wing section to align and glue it in. Now, take the electronics pod cover and install it. If you don't have an idea what you're doing, just take a look at the pod section of the mini arrow build, it is much the same. Install the rest of your electronics, and do your TX setup. Lastly, glue the winglets on. Feel free to make your own winglets if you don't like the size or look of these. Now install your battery and make sure your aircrafts CG is right. There is a small mark on the plans, but for those of you who didn't mark it or just need the measurement, it's two inches from the front of the motor cutout. It is also even with the front of the tab slots for the electronics pod. Now, check your CRAP and go fly!

I'd love to see your builds! Or at least I hope a couple of you build one. ;) Feel free to post your build or flying tips and please post plenty of pics for others to see!

Last edited:

Michael9865

Elite member
I do like your where you're going with this design.
I do have a question, the title says "KFm4," but the plans say "KFm3" and your instructions describe "KFm3," so am I misunderstanding that the title should be "KFm3?"
In the attached, is the yellow arrow pointing to the aft of the top plate line and is the red arrow pointing to the aft of the middle plate line?

Attachments

• Dominator KFm4 Wing Beta By whackflyer Line Question.jpg
    Dominator KFm4 Wing Beta By whackflyer Line Question.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 0

whackflyer

Master member
Thanks for the catch, I’ll change it, and yes, you are correct. The yellow arrow points to the back of the top plate, and the red arrow points to the back of the middle plate.

whackflyer

Master member
Warning: shameless self promotion inbound...

This evening was very quiet here in western Kansas, a rare thing in the fall. Guess what I flew... my Dominator KFm3! It was so silky smooth I didn't ever want to quit. Flew 5 batteries through it. First, I finished off my brothers beat up 120% pun jet in combat and came out of the hit flying with only minor prop scars, while he fell to the earth with a smashed nose and tore up v-stabs. After that, 4 batteries of pure bliss... If someone could build one of these and post your build and flying experience, I would be very grateful, I want to introduce people to this wing!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Ok, so I'm going to be building one of these next week! Anyone else going to be build this along with me?

Edit -
Here are the plans for the C pack sized wing:

Attachments

• kfm3 wing right half (C pack version).pdf
    360.1 KB · Views: 0
  • kfm3 wing left half (C pack version).pdf
    525.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Make sure you take some pics, i am not sure what the wing is supposed to look like unfolded, or if the plan is showing the plane all folded up.
The plans show the wing as a complete unit but the black cut marks spanning mid wing are the different plates to be cut, largest on the bottom, middle is the next black line forward from the elevons, and top being the smallest and most forward section. It is stepped to create the airfoil.

@whackflyer I have a question... what the max size of prop that fits the plans at original size?

whackflyer

Master member
The plans show the wing as a complete unit but the black cut marks spanning mid wing are the different plates to be cut, largest on the bottom, middle is the next black line forward from the elevons, and top being the smallest and most forward section. It is stepped to create the airfoil.

@whackflyer I have a question... what the max size of prop that fits the plans at original size?
That's exactly how the plans work. No one says you can't scale it up! Max prop size 6". The actual slot is 7" wide. If you're willing to relocate the servos you can cut it out for a 7 or 8".

Last edited:

whackflyer

Master member
Here's an idea if you don't like the look of the winglets. Cut them and the small flat piece off at the edge of the elevon, then cut flat spots on the wingtip like on the CrashTestHobby Assassin. This will create drag on each wingtip and have a stabilizing effect. I haven't tried it myself, but I think it would work. I'll attach a pic to help you visualize it.
Screenshot_20200115-075311.jpg
Screenshot (55).png

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
That's exactly how the plans work. No one says you can't scale it up! Max prop size 6". The actual slot is 7" wide. If you're willing to relocate the servos you can cut it out for a 7 or 8".
A 8" prop would be my minimum, could be another 130% scale up.

Have you built one yet, do you have any pics or video of the maiden?

dayve

I might take a shot at building one in the next couple months. Is that link to download the plans broken, or is it just me? Could you point me toward the most current version of the plans? Thanks!

whackflyer

Master member
I might take a shot at building one in the next couple months. Is that link to download the plans broken, or is it just me? Could you point me toward the most current version of the plans? Thanks!
Here is the latest version of the plans. @The Hangar is currently working on reformatting them and polishing them up. They should be done in the next couple weeks hopefully, I'll update the opening post when they're done.

Attachments

• Dominator KFm3 v1.3.pdf
    10 KB · Views: 0