Dont even have a plane yet...

Shintoryu1

Hey everyone,

I am looking to get into the hobby this spring. winter is coming and I was thinking of getting the phoenix pro sim/dx5i transmitter. I can practice on the sim while it snow and 15 degrees out. Is the dx5i a transmitter that will last me a good while before I need to upgrade? I want to get the swappables and versa-wing come spring. Any advice would be welcomed!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
If yo're wanting to go with a combo sim/tx pack, really consider stepping up to the one with the DX6i -- of Spekrum's radios, it's their *lowest* resueable radio, IMO.

The dx5's are a nice perk for a RTF kit (better than their toy 4-channel radios), but they're not programmable. The consiquences are it needs to be re-setup each time you swap between airframes and it *can't* perform in-radio mixing like Elevons, Flaperons, V-tail, or Delta contrl mixes.

No experince with the Tactic radios, so I can't speak to the RF package deals.

If you *want* to go cheaper, consider getting an orange T-six, Turnigy 9x or 9xr, or Taranis (if you can find one), then buying an adaptor cable and running Clearview. Clearview costs ~$30, isn't astetically horrible, and the physics are good enough to teach basic flight controls and orentation. It's by far not as full featured as the $150-200 sims, but it'll teach what sims are good at teaching, and with less invested in the sim's cost, you can spend more on a much nicer radio.

BTW, welcome to the Forum!

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
The Dx5e is an excellent Tx for many of the swappables, but you will quickly out grow it if you stay in the hobby. The Dx6i is a more expensive Tx that will last you years. If you are open to a hobbyking radio, the turnigy 9x is excellent, and the Fr sky taranis is one of the best.
Edit: tactic is rock solid to around 3000 feet or 1000 meters with instant signal reacquisition. I can't say that about spektrum...

rockets4kids

The DX5 was a great transmitter option before the days of cheap computerized radios. If you get a DX5, you will *very* quickly find yourself wishing for a computerized radio. That said, there is very little difference in price between Phoenix bundled with the DX5 and other simulators bundled with a simulator-only controller, so you're not *really* losing out if you only ever use the DX5 with your simulator.

Shintoryu1

Awesome guys, thanks so much. I'm out and about and will look into the turnigy 9x when I get home. I'm trying to get into the hobby as cheap as possible right now. And yes the GAU-8 invalidates all argiments..... ;)

DDSFlyer

I have a DX6i and love it so far. I'm keeping an eye out for a used DX7s or DX8 now that the new DX9 is out and if you want to get the package for the DX6i and Phoenix Sim it's a great buy. Check out RCGroups Classified section for the Phoenix sim, it comes up occasionally and sells quick though.

As far as the DX5i, it isn't computer based but can still do a lot of functions and fly a lot of planes and multirotors. and it can do Elevons for wings, Flite Test has a video on it. Just everything is controlled with switches and has to be rebound and resetup with each plane...kinda tedious if you have multiple planes

RoyBro

Mentor
I'm out and about and will look into the turnigy 9x when I get home. I'm trying to get into the hobby as cheap as possible right now.

What is your location? The only place to buy a Turnigy 9x new is from HobbyKing. The links below are for the US warehouse.
Turnigy 9x without module, Turnigy 9x with module and receiver.

It does cost a bit more to buy the 9x without a module, and then buy the transmitter module and receiver separately, but in the end you get a better transmitter.

Also, if you buy the 9x, you should do the following modifications. http://flitetest.com/articles/turnigy-9x-replacement-six-mods and http://flitetest.com/articles/turnigy-9x-frsky-djt-module-mod

If you're not into DIY, you may want to consider the Turnigy 9xr, which is only available from HobbyKing's Hong Kong warehouse.

As for the module, the FrSky DJT and XJT would be good choices. But there are several options available that would only confuse you at this point. Regardless, you will also need to buy a receiver for your plane that matches your module.

Maybe this is too much information at this point, but we're here for questions.

Shintoryu1

I appreciate all the advice, I'm pretty handy so modding stuff is NP. before degenerative arthritis and a pinched nerve, I was working as an electronics technician. So small jobs are not bad. I'm on disability hence the budget. I grew up in San Diego and was spending a lot of time at the flighline fence at NAS Miramar. Aircraft be in my genes!! I got a parrot ar drone for my birthday and I caught the bug from it. Was always interested in RC aircraft but now I'm hooked :p

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__28297__Turnigy_9XR_Transmitter_Mode_1_No_Module_.html what about this Tx?

Last edited:

lonewolf7717

Shin: the radio you linked in the last post is the 9xr Roybro mentioned in his post. It's is HK answer for a out of box TX with all the bells and whistles that DIY guys were adding to the basic 9x. It should be noted since you are new to the hobby, the link you posted is of a mode 1 system. That means your throttle is on the right rather than left. Here state side by far the most common setup is a mode 2 with throttle on the left. That same radio can be bought either way and you can learn to fly which ever way you wish. Just know you may get some odd looks from American flyers when you break out a mode 1. That being said also know hobbyking is not the only place to buy a 9x. The turnigy system is really no more than a rebranded Flysky radio, the fs-th9x. Flysky 9x radios can be bought from other venders here state side like Hobbyparts.com, Valuehobby.com and I believe Aloft hobbies.

Last edited:

rockets4kids

I was working as an electronics technician.

The 9XR is an "updated" version of the 9X. Either one is a great entry radio for park fliers. Here's the deal:

Turnigy came out with the 9X -- their version of the DX6i -- a few years ago, and while the firmware wasn't the greatest, the devices turned out to be very hackable. Several replacement firmwares became available that make the device more useful than computerized radios costing several times as much.

Not to long ago, Turnigy released the 9XR, which is essentially the same radio, but with many the "hacks" implemented, and it ships with a firmware that is derived from one of the open-source projects. Unfortunately, the build quality on the 9XR is not as good as the 9X, which was a cheap chinese radio to begin with. If you are comfortable hacking it yourself, you may prefer the 9X over the 9XR.

Personally, I am in the middle of hacking my dx5e to get it to run the open source firmwares. I'm tapping all the pots and switches and then generating PPM which I feed back in through the trainer port. That's only so I can use the built-in DSM TX to take advantage of cheap orange/lemon RXs. Next project is to convert to the HopeRF modules used by OpenLRS. When I get all that working, I'll pop for some quality joysticks and I'll have my own full custom controller.

RoyBro

Mentor
So if you're comfortable with soldering electronics, and it seems that you are, go with the 9x. I'm sure you'll have fun with it. I did.
If you'd rather not, go with the 9xr. That about sums it up.

The first mod you'll want to do is the addition of the programming port. And while you have it open, you might as well install the LCD backlight. You can order it when you get the 9x, and choose white, blue, or green.

Shintoryu1

Sounds like the best choice is the 9x and mod it myself. Have some car repairs to take care of first then I will order it! thanks guys, you all rock.