Don't Keep Your Lipos in an Ammo Box...

Ricci

Posted a thousand or more times
Ok, i use this one. Should be bullet proof :eek:

IMG_4542.JPG

LitterBug

Techno Nut
And let's not forget, TOXIC gas when they burn! Not very responsible hobbyists here. :mad:

I'm doing the "Resposible hobbyist" thing and googled for other videos. This has been done many many times before.

Ventilated box

Non-vented box

VENTILATE YOUR BOXES!!!!!!

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Be sure it has a vent hole. More then likely if you make a hole to feed wires thru for charging you can make it a bit larger and that will be enough to keep pressure from building in a bad moment. The wires are guaranteed to be useless after a fire anyway.

Those old metal style ammo cans are useful for so many things. Its always nice to keep a few on hand. If you encase one in cement you can make a fire proof safe for documents and not have to pay hundreds for a manufactured one for example.

Snowblind

Propeller Balancer
I kinda also misunderstood that this was all about storage, not at all charging. I refuse to charge my batteries with my stored ones. For charging, I now put everything on my very heavy steel table in the well-ventilated smithing shop, but I used to use a mailbox with charge leads grommetted through the side. To use, I would set the box on two red bricks outdoors.

I really don't trust the bat-safe video due to the simulated voice, and the fact that the person or people who released the video are using it to promote their KickStarter fund. Neither video shows what's inside he box, one can only speculate.

This video however, while the can contents are again not actually shown, and the audio was removed, they run through several ammo can tests, as well as 2 battery bags. To me it appears as though a moderate amount of gas containment is better than none, as well as too much being bad seeing how the open lid can shows proof that the gasses do react with atmosphere while testing poorly. The seal removed can seems best after watching it, but still add a good layer of tile or fiberglass fabric inside it, and the floor won't scorch the way it did for the seal-less can in the following:

-One conclusion I've made from all 4 of the vidjyos so far is that if drilling is to be done, do it in one location, do not spread out your holes, it will make a draft path. You don't want draft through the storage container, because you want the remaining fire in the box to starve. Better yet, leave the seal, drill a big hole, and use one screw to hold a piece of steel shipping strap over it.
-Needless to say, bigger battery = bigger reaction..

I'll also add that I haven't actually done any searching, the video I posted here was in the related area on YouTube.

Last edited:

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
FTs recent Bat Safe video made me start double thinking my lipos and take an inventory. I have fifty-nine 1S-4S lipos that make up an equalavent of 57 amp hours. :eek:

megabotz

TWO DOLLARS!
I currently charge my batteries on top of my smoker (irony) because the thing is built to withstand heat. This sprouted from an idea that your standard charcoal grill is probably the best suited off-the-shelf solution to charging lipos. This one is small & only $14 at Walmart.

charcoal grill.jpeg

As it sits off the ground, unlike the ammo can, flammability of what you set it on is much less of a worry.

megabotz

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I think its great everyone is on about safety of lipos. GOOD JOB!!!

Now will all you idiots STOP burning toxic batteries for the sake of a few views. There are plenty of examples now. No more need to be burning toxic materials out in the open in uncontrolled and un enclosed spaces releasing toxic elements into the air.. Its bad enough we kill the environment in so many other ways. Our hobbies do not have to contribute unnecessarily.

Pass the word.. burning lipos is teh SUCK. We cant pass the hobby down to our kids if we killed em all with toxic smoke from burnt batteries.....