Dose anyone know how to make a plan for your own scratch build? i want to make my own ww1 fighter but don't know where to start

I would like to make a Fokker d.viii ww1 German plane, but I couldn't find any plans on how to make one. how should i go about making this plane? *note i have never scratch built before

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I would like to make a Fokker d.viii ww1 German plane, but I couldn't find any plans on how to make one. how should i go about making this plane? *note i have never scratch built before
go to outerzone.co.uk, and find a balsa plan, then by hand you can trace it over and make a solid fuselage from foamboard. (feel free to scale it) Another option is to import that balsa plan into something like doublecad or librecad, which are free, trace it out, make your adjustments,and then export it and tile. There is a good tutorial on youtube consisting of many parts, here is the first part:
nerdnic has designed many amazing planes himself so feel free to trust the tutorial. (made some good planes from that)

Yordle

Im gonna try to make one. Somone on a discord steered me to inkscape and you can put a picture in there and trace the plans. i have got as far as getting a picture on one layer and tracing it but i know ill figure it out

Inq

Elite member

Are you asking for pre-made plans or are wanting to learn how to make your own from images from the Internet? Former - I don't know of any plans available. Probably are some. Depending on how scale you want, you could simply start with the FT MM DR-1 and just add the top wing only. The fuselage/radial engine type were pretty close to the same. You'd probably have to beef up the connection some. If the latter... it depends on what pieces of software you already know how to use (or are willing to learn). - https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/ftfc23-build-ruary-by-inq-inqd-fokker-d-viii.71702/

squishevolve

Im gonna try to make one. Somone on a discord steered me to inkscape and you can put a picture in there and trace the plans. i have got as far as getting a picture on one layer and tracing it but i know ill figure it out funny shooter 2
Are you looking for blueprints that have already been created, or do you want to learn how to create your own plans using pictures found on the internet? Former – I am unaware of any available plans at this time.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Im gonna try to make one. Somone on a discord steered me to inkscape and you can put a picture in there and trace the plans. i have got as far as getting a picture on one layer and tracing it but i know ill figure it out
INckscape isnt good as you cant get acurate measurements in. you can do the same thing but better in something like freecad, a free 2d cad.

mastermalpass

Elite member
Someone recently DM'd me the same question, so I'll just copy/paste my response to them.

I will begin with how I designed the planes that have been successful; all of which actually started with the model first and then plans were designed afterwards. The Halfpipe began as a cardboard concept glider that I just kinda eye-balled into existence based on what seemed about right and used a ruler to keep things symmetrical. After successful glide tests, that concept was taken apart and its cardboard pieces used to figure out how I'd shape the foamboard pieces. Then the first foam model was made and luckily, it worked really well. Plans were then reverse-engineered from its measurements and tweaked it from there.

The BipePipe was even more loosely made at first; I just made a foamboard plane that looked about right and luckily, it worked really well. The 'BipePipe Pro' was this Bipe's measurements used as a base and quite heavily adjusted, resulting a plane that was okay, but hands on to fly.

As for designs that I've modelled around real planes; I've only completed one. It was a 3D plane that turned out far too heavy and the rest have yet to be made, so I can't say this method will garuantee success. But anyway, here's what I do:

I start by finding a 3 view drawing of the plane I want to make on https://www.the-blueprints.com/.

I pull the drawing into Adobe Illustrator - Illustrator is the program I'm used to and one handy thing I like about it is that it's really good for getting measurements for how long the lines will be when printed out. So, I start by drawing a circle with the diametre of the propeller I plan to use and then resize the blue prints to that.

Sometimes blueprints are made with their views out of scale. For example, your top view might be longer than your side view, or your top view might have a winder wingspan than your front view. If you design around it like that then it'll be all out of proportion. Easiest way to test is to draw a line from nose-to-tail on the top view and see if the side view is the same length as your line. Repeat this trick for the wingspan and height. You may find you need to cut your blue print apart and resize each view to get them all matched up.

With your blueprints set to the size, you can start measuring pieces out. The blue prints may be a bit pixilated, so I like to draw over them in Illustrator. With a fine line established, I then stick a bunch of lines 6mm long, perpendicular to my line. 6mm is the thickness of my foam board. Those lines help me draw inner outlines that represent the space inside the fuselage. You can use these inner outlines to find the widths and heights of formers and inside structural bits. It will also let you know if you have enough space inside the model for your electronics. More than once, I've planned to build a plane with a certain prop and the design process tells me I'll need to make the plane bigger in order to fit the ESC and battery inside (where I usually choose a larger prop, accordingly).

You can use a similar process to see if your wings will need any internal formers as well. Tail pieces can usually be a flat piece.

From there, I just kinda suss out how I'd like to put it together. When it comes to making skins, I have so far only had real success by using a rollation method with my formers, cutting the piece with a lot of extra foam, then trimming it down bit by bit as I try to wrap it around, eventually finding a point that it slots in. This can cost you a bit of foam, but it's the only way I know... Maybe I should get Fusion 360! 😂