Double Knockoff - Grifflyer GrunJet/ Ben Harber BDF.

chris398mx

Master member
I wanted to try a BDF, but they are not released yet, so I thought I would try my hand at making my own with a little inspiration from other forum members.

IMG_5449.jpg

So here is my first attempt at a BDF style power plant ready for maiden hopefully tomorrow morning.
IMG_5454.jpg

IMG_5453.jpg

IMG_5455.jpg

chris398mx

Master member
It Lives. I flew it this morning. Cruises at about 40% throttle Should have about 7 minute flight time cruising with short bursts of full throttle. Sorry no video. I didn't have anyone to film and it was a last minute decision to take it up before I left for work. It was pretty windy to get a feel for the stability, but it did slow down pretty nicely for landing. I will try to get some video next time I take it up.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
It Lives. I flew it this morning. Cruises at about 40% throttle Should have about 7 minute flight time cruising with short bursts of full throttle. Sorry no video. I didn't have anyone to film and it was a last minute decision to take it up before I left for work. It was pretty windy to get a feel for the stability, but it did slow down pretty nicely for landing. I will try to get some video next time I take it up.
Sweeet! What size is the fan - 50 mm??

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
@Grifflyer Here is some video of your GrunJet with my version of the BDF.
Flew for about 3 minutes total and had 51% battery left. It really slows down nicely for landing.

Video1 take off
Video 2
Video 3. My son caught the plane for me during landing so it didn't even see any snow.
Wow, that was flying really nice! It looked like it had tons of power!!

chris398mx

Master member
I think I am going to put my BDF in a Viggen and see how she does. I will have to do some scaling to get it to fit, but let see if she has enough power to be a good flyer. Does anybody see why it shouldn't work?