DOUGLAS 312

leaded50

Legendary member
Experimental pusher fighter. Project. V-1710 liquid-cooled engine, rated at 1,100 hp at 30,000ft, driving contra-rotating propellers via extension shaft
Work on this unusual design started in in 1939. In order to keep the fuselage aerodynamically as clean as possible the engine was mounted in the mid-fuselage, driving counter-rotating three bladed pusher propellers via an extension shaft. Another advantage of the buried engine was enough room for heavy cannon armament in the nose. Thus the pilot had an excellent view and a wide field of fire. Although this fighter project was never realized it was the basis for many other pusher-type aircraft

0353.jpg

My model gonna be:
length 830mm
wingspan: 126.5mm
motor: 2822 1000kv (sorrry, but not any contra- rotating props... pricetag raised too much)

bearit

can you run 2 motors using differential thrust without counter spinning 1 using the same props?

bearit

i dont mean a contra j7ust 1 on each side of fus but both spin the same direction but with differential thrust for turning

SSgt Duramax

Are you going to be doing plans for this? If so I have a contrarotating 1806 set up this would work great for. I was going to build an XB-42, but that is pretty far away on my list of plans to develop.

leaded50

Legendary member
sorry, thisw is a fully scratchbuild, no plans. Contra rotating 1806 isnt shure is enough either, depends on thrust. When i bying such i alwys get the biggest CRM version, thats the one that can keep a 1000mm wingspan and 1000g in good speed.

Also when you look good on the picture, you will se that fuselage is made og many bits, thats what i needed t get it ok, Some of it for sure should be possible make easier, but wih just a few pics to work from , adjustments, and tricky ways to build is always happening........and to make plans like that.... well, close to disaster for others, if not used to such .

Last edited:

SSgt Duramax

You know whats the worst crap with FT foamboard? Every extra shaping of a panel make wrinkles! And paper loosends to easy at edges.
Easy to cut, and very light though.
Sorry, but next, im not buying FT foamboard.
I'm torn on it. I can easily minwax/woodglue DTFB, and it is easier to work with and probably wrinkles a little less, so I don't see the worth in the FT stuff from that point of view. But the QC and quality is spot on. I have never had a wavy sheet of the stuff.