Downloadable Plan FB Middlestick

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Hotwax, thanks for sharing your plans. This plane looks great. I'm building one for my dad as a Christmas present. I want to build the non-swappable version, but plan to build it as a tail dragger. I do have a question though (and maybe more as I get into the build a bit more). Does the firewall just get hot glued into the fuse?

hotwax

Yes, they are.

The inner walls are 5 mm shorter than the outer ones. So you get a lot of area for the gluejoint. If you give it a final beed of glue at the front- and the backside, it will last forever.

Werner

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Ahh ok. I thought it looked familiar!
Good luck with your computer. I just had an issue with mine a week or so ago...

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Thanks Werner. I cut a firewall from AC ply and glued is in place to mount the motor. I went with the same setup that you showed for your maiden; Turnigy 3536/8 1000kv, 40A Plush ESC, and 2200 mah 4s. What prop did you use with that setup? I've got a 10x6 on it now, but any advice you have would be appreciated.

Yes, they are.

The inner walls are 5 mm shorter than the outer ones. So you get a lot of area for the gluejoint. If you give it a final beed of glue at the front- and the backside, it will last forever.

Werner

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Build is about 90% complete. We are giving it to my dad on Christmas Eve, so I need to finish is up and wrap it soon. Here's a picture of her so far.

dps-mstick-wip01.png

The picture makes the plane look blue, it's actually purple (my dad's favorite color).

hotwax

Hi SPONZ,

good Job!!!!!!

A 10 x 6 prop will be perfekt. For actual flying, use 4 to 6 rubberbands.

Merry Christmas

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Hotwax,

Thanks again for posting the plans. My dad's a huge WWI nut and I think he's going to love this. Will definitely use more (and bigger/better) rubber bands for flight. Hope to get the wing tapped tonight. I will post a couple more pics when she's complete. I have a suggestion for locating the wing. I'll post that latter with some more pics.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Top of the wing is finished. I still want to go back and add the black accent stripes to the fuse and the wing, but I think it's looking pretty good already.

dps.FliteStick.03.jpg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Hotwax,

You did an amazing job with this design! I put her up for her maiden flight yesterday and it flew amazingly well. Only a couple clicks of trim and it was dialed in. At WOT it's pretty quick, but it also glides forever with almost no power. Thanks for sharing the plans.

FliteStick (Purple) Complete_sm.jpg

Flynn

Heya Sponz, Great Plane! Great seeing you flying it at FF. I was wonder how many rolls of tape is needed for a finish like yours? Also, how did you do the crosses?

Thanks for sharing the plans Hotwax, I'm printing them out now.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Heya Sponz, Great Plane! Great seeing you flying it at FF. I was wonder how many rolls of tape is needed for a finish like yours? Also, how did you do the crosses?

Thanks for sharing the plans Hotwax, I'm printing them out now.

Believe it or not, it was less than 1 roll (of the big rolls from TapeBrothers.com) for the color. For the "decals" I printed them out on an inkjet printer and spray glued (3M Super 77) them on then covered with clear tape. It takes a while to do a plane this big, but the paper is completely covered. On the one shown above, I used black electrical tape for the black accent stripes.

butch b.

How come when I try to print plans from your site, the red does not print, but my printer will print the red from other sites that I get scale plans from.

CMS_1961

CMS_1961
Hotwax

Nice job!! Depending on motor used, I believe this will be an awesome trainer or speed liner!!

Thanks for the plans!!

hotwax

How come when I try to print plans from your site, the red does not print, but my printer will print the red from other sites that I get scale plans from.

Sorry to hear. There where no such complains yet. The plans are stored at Flitetest.

Please check that you have installed the latest Adobe Reader and Printer driver.