Draco the Wilga is dead! Crashes on runway takeoff!

CheckMySix

Draco the Wilga has been destroyed. The monster truck with wings, as seen on FT vlogs, crashed and died on a high crosswind takeoff. Thankfully, the owner, Mike Patey and passenger walked away from it but, still a heartbreaker.
He admitted it was pilot error and he should have known better. He is a humble man. But, all that time and effort spent on what I believe is just one the the coolest planes EVER! I think he plans to rebuild her. I hope he rebuilds that beast!
Again...can't be more happy that no one was seriously injured. A testament to both Polish engineering and Mike Patey's love, knowledge and true grit in aviation. Now this is a GoFundMe me I would chip in on...if he has one!

CheckMySix

This is super old news.
He's rebuilding it.
Yea, happened back in September (super old?) And no one has posted on the forum about it. Figured he would rebuild. Gonna be of work considering the pile it was in.

CheckMySix

Draco X is being built right now..

So I hear. Kinda knew he would. He must be making some Tug money lol. Now, I think someone needs to make a Draco RC. Get Patey to license it. Only wilgas I can find are the Balsa ones expect for a European dude flying a foam version. Haven't had time to figure out where he got it from. Looked pretty sweet though. Wilgas are just so crazy cool. Love when anything is taken to the extreme.

CheckMySix

I wa
With the way he builds, it wouldn't matter what he made it out of. It'll be done 5x faster than anyone else could manage.
On a related note, have you seen his Scrappy build yet?

I was watching some of his videos last night. Guy is amazing. More of an artisan than engineer...lol.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
The only RC model of the Wilga was made by Robbe - Robbe wilga 2000 - sadly currently out of production. Maybe you can get on on ebay and the like.

CheckMySix

There also was the Aerobeez 50cc wilga and the orgin models one. E-flite is working with him to get a draco built.
Yea, only been able to find balsa based models. Was really hoping E-flite would get into it. That's great news. I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Hell, could even be in the trainer category with it's amazing STOL. Be interesting to see how they do the gear as it's pretty slick.

CheckMySix

I love the effort he puts in when building his planes, though I do worry he spends too long in the workshop/hanger and not enough with family!!!
"Lots of fist pumps" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Love the fist pumps. He did just get his wife a sweet carbon cub so I suspect she's pretty content. Family that flies together stays together lol.

CheckMySix

rcpilot2

i almost had my .40 size cub do the same thing a while back. thankfully the only think that suffered was the prop. i cant wait to see Draco fly again. scrappy is just NUTZ tho...

CheckMySix

Really - an rc draco?! Ft needs to work with him!
Mike Patey is working with Horizon on a few planes. That's pretty damn cool. Yea, would like to see the boys at FT do something but a foamboard Draco? Dunno about that. Z foam or something like that..yea. I just hope horizon doesn't make Draco a gaser. Needs to be electric just for market share. I'd even put up with balsa if had to.
Just saw a kit to add variable pitch props. Think its gotta be for gasers but how freaking cool would that be? Be able to reverse pitch for those crazy short landings...lol.

Brett_N

Be able to reverse pitch for those crazy short landings...lol.

I use BLHeli programmable ESC's on my 3D planes. Set them up as reversible, then set a mix with 50 to 100% as regular throttle, and 0 to 50 as reverse. That gives me reverse thrust and much easier than the linkages for variable pitch.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Mike Patey is working with Horizon on a few planes. That's pretty damn cool. Yea, would like to see the boys at FT do something but a foamboard Draco? Dunno about that. Z foam or something like that..yea. I just hope horizon doesn't make Draco a gaser. Needs to be electric just for market share. I'd even put up with balsa if had to.
Just saw a kit to add variable pitch props. Think its gotta be for gasers but how freaking cool would that be? Be able to reverse pitch for those crazy short landings...lol.

They've got variable pitch electric motors; I actually saw one flying at AMA Expo West this year. The guy would get it up in the air, and then throw the throttle in the opposite direction and fly the plane backwards for about 20-30 feet before he'd pull it into a loop or dive or something. Crazy to see.