DRAFT 2019 Fantasy Aircraft Design & Build Challenge Guidelines

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Some ideas I'm thinking about...
Crimson%2BSkies%2B(3).jpg

Pretty sure I have a sketchup model of this also. I really should do less sketchup-ing and more building and flying!

DamoRC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
.@damorc Looking good! I had that same thought. But to get those tubes large enough diameter for most 3S batteries, the scale gets big. I had hoped to be in range that a 10-12" toy character could be the pilot.

Yep - if the pylons were 3 inches diameter and you didn't want to massively over-scale them, you're looking at 8 - 10 feet wingspan.

DamoRC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
First I would choice a plane. I have no idea what plane I would choice. .

First things first - choose the plane then you can worry about the rest. Google "fantasy planes" or "sci fi movie planes" in an image search and stare at them until one of them speaks to you - "build me - BUILD ME!"

DamoRC

Tench745

Master member
Some ideas I'm thinking about...

129324_0ae770e38d7f7af83ef454dd0d5c4bfb.jpg

1406563573m_SPLASH.jpg
1378351423112.png

Careful with those Porco Rosso planes, Rockyboy, the two on the right actually flew in competition for the Schneider Trophy.
The blue twin-pusher canard is a really cool rendering of a custom LEGO set, but would be a fun one to fly.
And that last one... Well, I might just have to build it myself, if I can hide it from my wife. ;)

Namactual

Elite member
See what I mean guys, a kid in a candy store. :p

All of those have awesome potential.

Here are a few more that were on my short list...
Lineup.jpg
I might just have to enter twice to make room for that Babylon 5 Thunderbolt. That is sexy as all getout.(y)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Awesome! Love the
Looks awesome. I am relatively new to the forum and trying to be more active. You have likley seen some of my many question. I am 14. And got start flying models about a year ago. I fly when ever I can and the wind is not to crazy. I think I will try to participate in this challenge. How ever I just got into the hobby and I like building it just getting to be a strong builder and designer takes time. I have built the tri plane I forgot the name the duster and the guinea pig. I would really like to try and make something however I would have no idea on how to get started. First I would choice a plane. I have no idea what plane I would choice. After I choice a plane how would I figure out what shapes I need to cut out of the foam board? And how would I go about making plans? I would have plenty of time to work detail out, but I really like the idea of this challenge and can't wait to see what people come up with.

Welcome! We are all about helping people learn around here, and designing skills are no exception! :D

A great place to get started is the excellent video series by @nerdnic - Here's the first in his series:

There are also great CAD templates by @localfiend somewhere on the forum here (the link escapes me at the moment).

And you can also go really basic with the process too - start with a Flite Test plan or other community released plan and start modifying it to look like the plane you want.

So yes - come join in and we'll help you along the way! :D

Pilot_35

With the zephyr I would need 4 power pack a motor I would assume and it would be more of a helicopter with wings then a plane. With the fire fox plane I would do a pusher prop on the back (most likely). I will keep looking for planes.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Where did you find pictures of the first and second one? I really like the first one I might take if if you don't use it.
I honestly just googled "fantasy planes" and scrolled down a bit and found those:D

You can use one if you want I've already found a bunch more;)

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Okay - I think I might actually have drooled at the pic of the Star Skiff.

This brings back fond memories of last years competition when the thread exploded with ideas !
Like so many of the Naboo ships it definitively has some awesome lines! The biggest problem ends up being balancing though. All of the Naboo ships are super tail heavy, with the cockpits and engines both far aft of the required CG. The Royal Cruiser though, would be much easier to do..
latest

Another possibility is the Spaceplane from the Star Trek Enterprise Title sequence:
latest

Fidget

P.S. I think that the rules are great. I don't have any changes to suggest.
Rockyboy, thank you for setting this up again.