DRAFT 2019 Fantasy Aircraft Design & Build Challenge Guidelines

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I now have a hankering to try and make this, especially putting it in RAF red arrow livery!!!! Anybody recognise it?
depositphotos_121159670-stock-photo-angel-interceptor-red-arrows.jpg

Last edited:

Pigfarm1403

Builder

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I saw the x-36 in person and it's a very complicated airplane design. There are no rudders because it uses drag on the wingtips to stabilize.

For a model scale of the x-36 I'd go for elevons and think of it like a flying wing - could be a very fast flyer :D

Pilot_35

Oh also do you need a story of why you chose the airplane you did or can you just say because it looked cool.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Oh also do you need a story of why you chose the airplane you did or can you just say because it looked cool.
Copied from first post
"Entrants are encouraged to add why they chose this model, and link to documentation for challenge appropriateness of the design for this challenge. (Wikipedia, Janes' Planes, etc.) Links to historical confirmation should be in the build thread for scoring purposes."

@rockyboy might give you a better answer.

Pilot_35

So I don't think I should just chose a random plane of the internet. I should chose something that has a story

Namactual

Elite member
As far as the story and or the reason you chose the subject is really up to you. There really is no "rule" there that I can see. It's just to encourage people to express their interests or how/why they chose the design that they did.

This is all for fun, learning and the challenge to do something new.

kilroy07

Legendary member
+1 for Fire Fox!

He's what I'd like to attempt...
AKiTFD4.jpg

Would be my first design from scratch.

Challenges I see;
Wing loading (might expand the chord a "tad".)
Control... NOT going to attempt vectored thrust, but I do plan on having a pusher prop in the engine ring.

Are 3D printed parts acceptable, carbon fiber? (I would think so, but wasn't sure...)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
As far as the story and or the reason you chose the subject is really up to you. There really is no "rule" there that I can see. It's just to encourage people to express their interests or how/why they chose the design that they did.

This is all for fun, learning and the challenge to do something new.

@Namactual is 100% on point! :D

It would be great if you share, especially in your build thread, what drew you to the subject, what you've been able to find out about it's history / designers / etc too - think how neat it would be to find and read a thread like that about something that interests you. Your thread just might be the inspiration for some other person to either build your design, or to learn to design and create something from scratch themselves! :D

+1 for Fire Fox!

He's what I'd like to attempt...
View attachment 111170

Would be my first design from scratch.

Challenges I see;
Wing loading (might expand the chord a "tad".)
Control... NOT going to attempt vectored thrust, but I do plan on having a pusher prop in the engine ring.

Are 3D printed parts acceptable, carbon fiber? (I would think so, but wasn't sure...)

Good points on the wing loading - really neat looking design too!

Yes, all 3D printing / carbon fiber / fiberglass composites / etc. are fair game in this challenge. A lot of the shapes/designs that people are inspired by in this challenge lend themselves to more advanced techniques beyond simple folded DTFB - but then again, think about the Flying Pancake @localfiend did for last year's challenge - most of that was just very skillfully constructed foam board!

4. FT building techniques are a great foundation, but other more advanced techniques are welcome! Keep in mind that others may want to build YOUR airplane and may require additional skills to do so - be sure to provide clear build instructions for any non FT techniques used in your design.