DRAFT 2019 Fantasy Aircraft Design & Build Challenge Guidelines

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Well, I just need to stuff Wile E. Coyote in my 3D printed octocopter and my entry is DONE!
Wile-E-Coyote-and-flying-saucer-chase-the-Road-Runner-in-Gone-in-60-Parsecs.jpg

37615621605_ee05b46010_o.jpg

So I'll have to come up with DTFB plans to fit my F550 hex, and/or do something like these other ideas:
88628.jpg

images.jpeg

3000_FF_Still_04.jpg

90061.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
How did I not see that earlier?
I will be making the ADF-01 Falken from the Ace Combat series, as team Gründer Industries or whatever, feel free to join (when the contest actually starts)
This plane is kinda angular so it will fit quite well for cardboard constructions techniques, something I haven't done in quite a while.
falken.jpg

It's actually the first project I had when I joined the hobby and never even started it, also no one ever made a rc flying one so I will claim first on it!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I will be making the ADF-01 Falken from the Ace Combat series, as team Gründer Industries or whatever, feel free to join (when the contest actually starts)
This plane is kinda angular so it will fit quite well for cardboard constructions techniques, something I haven't done in quite a while.
View attachment 111191

It's actually the first project I had when I joined the hobby and never even started it, also no one ever made a rc flying one so I will claim first on it!

Wow! That's a sinister looking plane! (y)

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Yeah it has a unique look and a long history in the game series, it is actually the first fictionnal aircraft of the serie and it was flow by a computer program called Z.O.E in the lore. It also features the COFFIN system which allows the pilot to control the plane with a brain-computer interface and the whole cockpit lifts up to reveal a big laser but I probably won't be able to do that. I should also work on the 3d printed retracts I announced like 8 months ago :rolleyes:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
How about including toy airplanes (even RC) that are not based on real aircraft. I am already planning to get back to the AirHogs Intruder and finishing that up anyway. But, this just might be the extra incentive and motivation I need to do it.

Also, I suggest pushing the contest completion date to February or March. Still gives months to allow people to build. November and December are just way too busy with hunting, holidays, school, etc. January and February provide a lot more time for these kinds of projects in my opinion.

Namactual

Elite member
View attachment 111191

Ohhh, I forgot about Ace Combat. Sweet pick there bud!

I might just have to enter 3!:p
CFA-44_Nosferatu_Color_1-5.jpg
CFA-44 Nosferatu

Edit: just so we are on the same page, I am not entering 3. I am crazy, but not that crazy.o_O

Last edited:

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Oooh that's a cool one for sure!
You know, most peoples I asked thought that the Falken would no be able to fly because of the weird shape and also think that for a lot of the AC planes but really, they are just weird looking but they should be able to fly just fine. Ace Combat squad maybe?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
How about including toy airplanes (even RC) that are not based on real aircraft. I am already planning to get back to the AirHogs Intruder and finishing that up anyway. But, this just might be the extra incentive and motivation I need to do it.

Also, I suggest pushing the contest completion date to February or March. Still gives months to allow people to build. November and December are just way too busy with hunting, holidays, school, etc. January and February provide a lot more time for these kinds of projects in my opinion.

Toy airplanes would absolutely qualify - I'll clarify that in the guidelines :D

And you make a very good point about the design deadline. End of February seems reasonable and we should be able to get scoring done in March still. This was people can use some of the holiday gift money to pay for the power supplies too (y)

Thanks for the great suggestions! :D

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Toy airplanes would absolutely qualify - I'll clarify that in the guidelines :D

And you make a very good point about the design deadline. End of February seems reasonable and we should be able to get scoring done in March still. This was people can use some of the holiday gift money to pay for the power supplies too (y)

Thanks for the great suggestions! :D
Well allright! It's been far too long since I've worked on one of my own projects. I think I only had about 20-30 people ask me about the Intruder at Flite Fest this year too. Time to finish this thing up!

Namactual

Elite member
Hmm... pushing the deadline back to February...(y)

I just might have time to finish mine this year.:p

...who am I kidding, it still wont happen.:cautious:

...but it will be more done er ish?:unsure:

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Becoming very tempted to do the Bell XF-109/D-188A for this one. Found some awesome videos of wind tunnel testing done in 1958 with an RC model. It will definitely be either this guy or something from Star Wars. Assuming I don’t get busy and distracted like I did for last year’s challenge.

Pilot_35

I have not found what I am going to build. I don't really want to try and build a jet because I think it will be beyond my skill level. And I have not see much movies, book, comics that have planes in them. So I am struggling to find the perfect plane. Plus I don't know a plane that I have a story with.