DRAFT 2019 Fantasy Aircraft Design & Build Challenge Guidelines

Fidget

If I were a programmer, I'd be trying to use a flight controller and a lot of mixing to control an x-wing. Might be able to do it in iNav without a lot of actual programming.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Ok folks, I'm going to give this a couple days to fester and see if I can get any hits. I'm interested in collaborating with someone to do a parasite rig for Flite Fest Ohio 2019. Here are two possible ideas (I'm open to others):
yakovlev_skylifter.jpg

original.jpg
XAB-1 REAR ANGLE.jpg

Because of what I'm looking to do, the other participant would need to build the carrier ship. My thing is the parasite because I'm going full bore in this event at my personal strength: rocket power. So, you build the mothership, I build the rocket power piece of insanity. I've done various types of air launched/dropped airplanes, so this wouldn't be super difficult. Any takers?

If not, I'll go my own route with either the early Rockwell X-30 proposal:
Rockwell International X-30 National Aerospace Plane Graphik 1b.jpg

Or an upscale DTFB/phenolic tube version of the Estes Lynx:
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Last suggestion.... and I think this could possibly be the easiest model build ever!!! the Miles M52. A sub scale version flew but the full-size human carrying plane was never completed due to budget cuts at the time. Fighting WW2 had pretty much bankrupted the UK and breaking the sound barrier was the least of their priorities.
MilesM52_1.jpg

b-29er

Ok folks, I'm going to give this a couple days to fester and see if I can get any hits. I'm interested in collaborating with someone to do a parasite rig for Flite Fest Ohio 2018. Here are two possible ideas (I'm open to others):
View attachment 111621

View attachment 111622 View attachment 111623

Because of what I'm looking to do, the other participant would need to build the carrier ship. My thing is the parasite because I'm going full bore in this event at my personal strength: rocket power. So, you build the mothership, I build the rocket power piece of insanity. I've done various types of air launched/dropped airplanes, so this wouldn't be super difficult. Any takers?

If not, I'll go my own route with either the early Rockwell X-30 proposal:
View attachment 111624

Or an upscale DTFB/phenolic tube version of the Estes Lynx:
View attachment 111625
Think you are a tad late for FFE 2018 unless you plan on creating a working TARDIS for this but i can help out with a parasite fighter. I am actually looking for one myself for my b-36.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Think you are a tad late for FFE 2018 unless you plan on creating a working TARDIS for this but i can help out with a parasite fighter. I am actually looking for one myself for my b-36.

Date corrected. I'll PM you about setting up as a possible partner in an air launch. :)

JTarmstr

Elite member
Call_of_Duty_Infinite_Warfare_Concept_Art_Mike_Hill_25_jackal-space-rear.jpg

I want to suggest this to anyone who wants a challenge. idk if the wings will carry it.

Edit: I did not realize that wings expand in flight, it actually looks possible now.

Last edited:

Michael9865

Elite member
Anyone want to do a team build of a twin engine pusher known as the “Hughes Lockheed Firebrand”? I can provide the plans shortly.

jpot1

Elite member
I was thinking more of Power Pack A Twin. After a proof of concept build/flight I guess I could scale the plans up. Thank you for your interest.

Would love to see plans when you are ready. Don’t have twin A pack motors but could see about sizing up slightly for the f packs.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Concerning the subject of the model and what the part about "is not limited to"...

Part 1 - The Design-Off Rules:

1. Subject must resemble an aircraft or flying machine that was depicted as being able to carry people (or drone capable of similar sized payload), but never successfully built and flown at full scale. This includes but is not limited to:
  • Military design sketches / plans (Yak-43)
  • Aircraft from TV shows / movies / anime (SHIELD Quinjet)
  • Fictional spacecraft (Firefly)
  • Civilian aircraft designs (Gee-Bee R-3)
  • Comic book aircraft (Batplane)
  • Video game aircraft (Fallout's Stingray Deluxe)
  • Toy aircraft (Airhogs)

Are original designs allowed/encouraged? I have designed and flown many of my own designs based on military aircraft, but never published my own drawings or artwork. Everything I've seen posted so far is artwork from some source or another. Does the subject have to have been published to the interweb to be considered?

Sure - just share the artwork you're basing your design on so we can all see where it started, and you've met the intent of the challenge!