DRAFT Flite Fest 2018 WWII Community Design & Build Off Discussion

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
This year I'm stepping up as the volunteer coordinator for what will be an excellent community organized design and build challenge for the Flite Test Forum Community and Flite Fest events in 2018 (but not necessarily the only one). The guidelines are heavily based on the 2017 playbook, feedback from the amazing amount of fun and participation we had in the 2016 and 2017 events, and the growth of multiple Flite Fest events around the (hopefully) world in 2018.

This post with the draft 2018 guidelines will remain open for additional comment and feedback through August 1st, 2017 when the final guidelines will be posted in a new thread. Please share the link to this thread (and the subsequent final guidelines thread) to everywhere you know Flite Test fans might see it. We want as many community members aware and participating as possible!

Updated official title:

2018 Flite Test Forum & Flite Fest Community WWII Design & Build Challenge

Summary:

Participants will build a scale electric motor driven, radio-controlled airplane model of a WWII aircraft that was never used in combat (in WWII), and demonstrate that it is capable of controlled flight. At the end of the design portion of the competition, a panel selected from the Flite Test forums will score the entries and select winners from the completed and flight-proven models posted on the forums. Additionally, several in-person group activities will occur at the Flite Fest events to celebrate and demonstrate the accomplishments of the participants for those who can attend. In-person participation at a Flite Fest event is not required to participate in this challenge.

Objectives:

• Celebrate the obscure, unusual concepts and advances of WWII aviation
  • Foster interest in building foam board model aircraft from community plans
  • Promote designing and building as one of the aspects of the FT community
  • Compete in flying events where any level of experience can be a winner
  • Engage in some friendly forum banter :)

Part 1 - The Design-Off Rules:

1. Subject must resemble an aircraft designed for military use in World War II that never engaged in active WWII combat. Scale outlines may be changed within reason to improve flight characteristics or for ease of construction. Aircraft that were used in military surveillance missions but never shot at, designs that were on paper only but never built, early jets that were in development but not not completed in time for WWII action, and planes that were built but never flew are all fair game. The aim is to celebrate the unusual and advanced concepts of the time period. Please consult the community in this thread if you have doubts about a specific aircraft's inclusion.

2. All designs must use electric power with motors from (or equivalent to) one of the Flite Test Power Packs. Exceptions for really crazy planes can be proposed, but are discouraged in the scoring. This way the largest number of community members can participate with existing or easily accessible equipment. Until Flite Test makes available an EDF power pack, jet or rocket designs may use any available EDF or modify the airframe for pusher prop or prop-in-slot with no scoring penalty.

3. Building designs to 1/10 scale is encouraged, but not required. For example, an aircraft with a 42' wingspan could be built at 1/10 scale with a 50" wing and perhaps a C pack motor, or at 1/20 scale with a 25" wingspan and perhaps a pack A motor.

4. To include as many builders as possible in the challenge, FT building techniques should be used as a foundation. Other more advanced techniques may be used but you should keep in mind that others may want to build YOUR airplane and may require additional skills to do so - be sure to provide clear build instructions for these techniques. Incorporation of FT power pods, FT Elements firewalls is encouraged for this purpose, but are not required.

5. To include as many pilots and teams in the challenge as we can, aircraft are encouraged to have multiple flight crew members to operate bomb drops, camera surveillance, turret functions, etc.

6. Entries must demonstrate that they are capable of controlled flight before the Design-Off closing date to be considered for judging for the Design-Off portion of the community challenge. Only videos of the entry in flight will be considered proof of flight-worthiness.

7. Already started builds may be entered.

8. A complete set of digital plans must be available in the entries build thread by the close of the Design-Off. Vector-based formats are preferred but not required.

9. Build instructions MUST be provided through video instruction, textual write-up, or build log. Techniques different from standard Flite Test skills should be clearly explained.

10. Participants may submit more than one entry, and multiple entries for the same design from different participants are acceptable.

11. Participants in the design challenge do not need to be able to attend an in-person Flite Test event (although we hope you can!) Scoring and adjudication of the design entries will occur through and be announced via the FT forums.

Coordinator's Instructions:

• Registration for the Design portion of the challenge will be by posting participant members’ FT user name, the model to be entered, and a link to the entries build thread on this thread, NOT via PM to the OP. All aspects of the design challenge are coordinated virtually through the forum: in person participation or demonstration is not required (and in fact not available).

Example of entry format:

AwesomeForumMember
    WWII Plane Name
    http://forum.flitetest.com/showthrea...7-AwesomeBuildThread

Build threads should be titled in the format:

FTFC'18 WWII [plane name] designed by [designer name]

With the shortened version of 'Flite Test Forums Challenge' in the prefix so searches and causal forum browsers are all the more likely to notice these projects.

Entrants are encouraged to add why they chose this model, and link to documentation for historical appropriateness of the design for this challenge. (Wikipedia, Janes' Planes, etc.) Links to historical confirmation should be in the build thread for scoring purposes.
  • Registration for Design entries will open no later than August 1, 2017.
  • The Design portion of the challenge will end on December 31st, 2017. This is to facilitate time for community members to build aircraft well in-advance of the 2018 Flite Fest events.
  • Registration to participate in the group challenges at a particular Flite Fest Event (East, West, South, etc) will open the day the Flite Fest event is announced, and remain open until the event occurs.
  • Design challenge adjudication will be completed and points accumulated will be posted by January 31st 2017.
  • It is recommended that designers not review the rubric during the course of their project. To foster creativity and fun, review the rubric at the start, make your plan, build, and then review when nearing completion to see where you may accumulate additional points. The scoring rubric will be attached to this thread.

Part 2 - Group Demonstration Events:

At each 2018 Flite Fest event where sufficient participants gather, several group activities will be coordinated to demonstrate airworthiness, awesomeness, craftsmanship, and team camaraderie. A community volunteer coordinator will need to be identified for each event to ensure we can pull these group challenges together.

The Briefing: A coordinated static presentation of all participating models at the flight line for community show-and-tell. We've done this in the build tent, and on the flight line - and the flight line was much more accessible to a wider spectator and pilot audience.

The Timed Invasion: A coordinated flight will occur with all participating models to flood the skies with all models, operating at the edge of their speed envelope. To simulate a mission cycle, aircraft will take off as simultaneously as is safe and feasible, and land following a 5 minute flight. Randomly assigned spotters for each aircraft will time the flight from takeoff to landing, and closest time to exactly 5 minutes wins.

The Bombing: A simulated bombing run with all aircraft capable of dropping a payload (or ejecting their pilot). All dropped items must follow AMA restrictions, and be clearly marked for identification purposes. Payloads controlled or dropped by a team members other than the primary pilot gain a 1 meter advantage. Closest (adjusted) payload to the target wins.
  • All models participating in these events should be built using designs meeting the Design-off guidelines.
  • Designs do not need to be completed in time for the Part 1 challenge scoring to participate in the Part 2 events.
  • The participant does not need to be the designer - please build other people's awesome designs and bring them to Flite Fest!
  • Registration for the in-person events at Flite Fest (East/South/West/wherever) will be via posting in a specific thread created for those events, when the dates of those events are announced.

Part 1 Design-off Scoring Rubric: 170 points total
Code:
1. Selection of views: 10
[INDENT]a. Quality and accuracy: 5
b. Additional reference material for modifications: 5[/INDENT]

2. Aerodynamic design: 20
[INDENT]a. Wing design - scale airfoil, incidence, washout: 5
b. CG, and loading (area or cubic): 10
c. Other replicated aerodynamic design components: 5[/INDENT]

3. Materials: 40
[INDENT]a. Quality and selection of materials for strategic use: 5
b. Covering selection: 5
c. Resourcefulness: 5
d. Thriftiness: 5
e. Durability: 5
f. Prefabricated parts (higher score for less used): 5
g. FT Power Pack motor (or approved EDF/Glider exception): 10[/INDENT]

4. Scale features: 25
[INDENT]a. Closeness of design to selected scale: 5
b. Cockpit: 5
c. Engine (dummy, cowl, vents, exhaust, etc.): 5
d. Scale landing structures (fixed or retractable gear or water capable as appropriate): 5
e. Other scale features (Provide comment): 5 ___________[/INDENT]

5. Flight (not based on pilot skill): 20
[INDENT]a. Take off: 5
b. Stability: 5
c. Maneuverability: 5
d. Landing: 5[/INDENT]

6. Basic rules: 55
[INDENT]a. Subject meets "intended for WWII use but did not see WWII combat" requirement: 25
b. Quality of plans: 15 (higher for FT-quality)
c. Quality of build instructions: 15[/INDENT]

Any further questions may be posted in this thread or directed to the coordinator (RockyBoy).

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
East, West, South?

You bet! And Flite Fest Europe and Flite Fest North and any other place the Flite Test crew decides to bring the carnival. (We can all hope for a few more, right? ;) ) All we need is a local community coordinator to volunteer to run the challenge events, and a couple participants who can attend.

As much as I'd love to go to every event, I only expect to make it to Flite Fest East in 2018.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Rocky,
This all sounds very exciting, as IF I needed any help getting psyched up for next years event.

You say that registration will open no later than 01 Aug. How long do you anticipate registration to last? Also, will there be a determined scale?
—Jim

J-MaxRC

no specification about the exact scale...??!! I just made some calculs and 1/10 scale would be nice in the use the FliteTest power pods making most single engine figther below 60inch and big bomber(4engine) in the 120inch+ size so a nice tread off!!!!.... for the rest count me in!!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'm thinking registration for the design challenge is open from Aug 1 through Dec 31, and the build challenge is open right up to the Flite Fest event. But anyone who intends to enter the design challenge on Dec 31 and meet all the requirements has obviously been working in secret and depriving the community of all the excitement and entertainment along the way :)

Because there is such a wide variety of size between things like the massive Tupolev bombers and tiny prototype jet fighters, I just don't think we can realistically be inclusive while locking into a couple scale sizes. Instead, each entrant should scale their design to work with whatever Flite Test power pack they want to use - maybe a whole bunch of A or B sized motors for a big bomber, a single C for a transport plane, or a couple of the F motors for a quick twin fighter. Basically, by these rules both @willsonman's and @mid7night's Bugatti's from 2017 would meet the scale requirements (although those contra-rotating motors don't fit)

Also, some people might like to design and build something with an 8 foot wingspan, while others are more attracted to the mini size models. Let's bring them all in :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
What if you happen to be like me and totally clueless on using design software but want to participate? I am pretty smart about most things but becoming proficient enough in a totally new element like that I do not think I could pull off in time to use effectively.

Is there something simple like cad for dummies or lesser dummies in my case?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Three options come to mind:

- NerdNic's great original (and newly revised) video series showing how he uses pretty simple software techniques
- LocalFiend's design tutorial using a free CAD software to design DTFB planes
- Could also draw it on paper (graph paper or plain), take a picture, and then clean it up (perhaps with a little help from someone on the forums too) to a good digital file others can use.

I'll dig around for links to those video series....

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I've added a clarifying guideline on scale selection to hopefully address confusion/questions:

3. Building designs to 1/10 scale is encouraged, but not required. An aircraft with a 42' wingspan could be built at 1/10 scale with a 50" wing and perhaps a C pack motor, or at 1/20 scale with a 25" wingspan and perhaps a pack A or F motor.

And until Flite Test comes out with a ducted fan power pack (which will hopefully be soon), feel free to use whatever ducted fan unit @Mid7Night recommends for the jets. :)

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Well, if FF europe ever comes I will be sure to go there. Good thing I already have a plane that fit all those criterias that I want to build heh.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Thanks for taking this on, Jon. I've been planning things for FF for a number of years now and I'm happy to let someone else take the reins and have some fun with this.

The F8F Bearcat is an excellent example of what this would entail. Also, the Shindin comes to mind. For those wanting to take the deep plunge there is always Luft46.com. The Daimler Benz DB Jäger would certainly be interesting to design. I'm leaning more toward the Blohm and Voss P.170 or the Junkers EF112.

You can also look into countries that remained neutral during the war. While they did have operational aircraft, they never did see combat. Maybe this will be motivation to re-build and finally fly my FFVS J-22 fighter.

That brings up the issue of fighters. Not all of them were intended as dual-role ground attack/fighter setups or even strictly as reconnaissance. The Huges XF-11 comes to mind. Some were just pure fighters. While there is nothing to drop could these aircraft have an objective somehow?

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
This is an awesome idea! There are so many cool planes that could be built for this era, already getting some ideas. The B-36, YB-35, YB-49, Spruce Goose, A.W.52, Horton 229, HE-162, Arado 234, and the XP-59 would all be great candidates for this. Although I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it to a Flite Fest, I may have to start on one of the big bombers..

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Anyone up for a carrier landing challenge? Pretty sure I could figure out how to rig up some kevlar string on a sprung wheel for those willing to put tail hooks on :p

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks for taking this on, Jon. I've been planning things for FF for a number of years now and I'm happy to let someone else take the reins and have some fun with this.

You're welcome! I've had a blast in the last several group challenges and am happy to 'give back' in the coordinator role for a bit!

That brings up the issue of fighters. Not all of them were intended as dual-role ground attack/fighter setups or even strictly as reconnaissance. The Huges XF-11 comes to mind. Some were just pure fighters. While there is nothing to drop could these aircraft have an objective somehow?

To make sure they could participate in the bomb drop challenge? Lots of pure fighters were fitted (or designed with potential for) long range fuel tanks, pilot ejection systems, or early surface to ground rocket hard points that could all hit the ground separated from the main airframe. I think in most cases we could at least stretch scale considerations a little bit and fit a long range fuel tank if people want to try the drop contest.

Anyone up for a carrier landing challenge? Pretty sure I could figure out how to rig up some kevlar string on a sprung wheel for those willing to put tail hooks on :p

That sounds tough! Might need to do a little series of parallel strings to give a tiny bit more chance of snagging one :)

Well, if FF europe ever comes I will be sure to go there. Good thing I already have a plane that fit all those criterias that I want to build heh.

I really hope you (and everyone else) will join the design challenge even if it doesn't look like a visit to a Flite Fest might happen for you in 2018. We'd still love to have your design and excitement in the mix!

I'm excited that you're all excited! Let's make this fun, crazy, and inspiring! :p

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Well guess I will start working on a EDF Messerschmitt P.1110, this thing is a beauty, maybe a pusher version too but the prop might hit the ground with landing gears.

In fact I wanted to 3d design one, so I was gonna make it anyways!

the 1110 is mine!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Well guess I will start working on a EDF Messerschmitt P.1110, this thing is a beauty, maybe a pusher version too but the prop might hit the ground with landing gears.

In fact I wanted to 3d design one, so I was gonna make it anyways!

the 1110 is mine!

Awesome!

There were a couple really unique looking iterations of this design too - the Me P.1110 Ente incorporates canard wings and relocates the cockpit up front for a very unusual jet look.