Dragonfly Landing Gear

Bellke

The store shows the Dragonfly kit with the same detachable landing gear as the tri or quad copter, my question is, would that provide enough ground clearance. I dont see anything thing that saying how long they are but it looks to be about 3" and I can't help but think the 2 downward facing props would be in the ground.

The video shows it being flown on a much higher gear, any ideas where they may have got it from?

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I've got no idea weather or not they bought it, or built it. I'm thinking since it's Josh, he built it. think they said that the gear would be coming to the store. Don't quote me on that, it's just what I think I remember hearing.

I was able to extrapolate the dimensions of the landing skip as shown in the Flite Test video.

Here is my attempt at building it.

image.jpg

Dimensions:
Top rails-14"
Legs - 6"
Skids - 9"
Cross beam - 7"

image.jpg
I used 1/2" aluminum top and bottom on the cross beam.
I found the rubber bumpers at Home Depot. They were in the section with the furniture sliders and floor protectors for furniture legs.
The angle for the legs I used was 30deg.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I notched the cross beam and top rails with a table saw.

image.jpg
I couldn't find small enough T plates as used in the Flite Test video so I ended up with the angle brackets going opposite direction on the front and back of the legs.

I glues the notched joints and the angled joints with wood glue for extra strength.

With the top plate of the electro hub it weighs 325 grams.

The next step is to finish the build and test the skids. Seems sturdy so far and when the glue dries it should be stronger.
My intention is to build the dragonfly.

hi_impact

I was able to extrapolate the dimensions of the landing skip as shown in the Flite Test video.

View attachment 43741

Dimensions:
Top rails-14"
Legs - 6"
Skids - 9"
Cross beam - 7"

View attachment 43742
I found the rubber bumpers at Home Depot. They were in the section with the furniture sliders and floor protectors for furniture legs.

View attachment 43743

View attachment 43744

View attachment 43745
I couldn't find small enough T plates as used in the Flite Test video so I ended up with the angle brackets going opposite direction on the front and back of the legs.

I glues the notched joints and the angled joints with wood glue for extra strength.

The next step is to finish the build and test the skids. Seems sturdy so far and when the glue dries it should be stronger.

Your design looks very close to the landing gear on the build video. I'd like to see how close when FT comes out with the plans for their design. Nice butted joints BTW on those cuts especially the angle cuts. They also had an attachment on the front rails for the camera mount/gimbal and I guess on the back side for the battery to offset the wight. Have you got that down yet?

FrankB

FrankB
Did you finish your build ? How does it fly with this ? I am looking to do the same. Thank you for posting this info, it helps me out a lot!
-Frank

Dimensions:
Top rails-14"
Legs - 6"
Skids - 9"
Cross beam - 7"

AustinFurey

Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Hey everyone, just a quick heads up:

The alternative Dragon Fly landing gear will be available this month. Depending on how you are installing a camera or if you are takeoff/landing on grass the current set up is not ideal.

After trying a landing gear style like AverageGuyRC made, we eventually settled on a tri-gear as seen in the Connex HD video.
connex-1-png_1432668889.jpg

I believe we have all the parts here to ship, but it will take about a week or so to get them packaged and a 5 min build video shot.

Thanks!
-Austin

FrankB

FrankB
So any updates on the new landing legs for the DragonFly ?
I am looking to purchase one in the next couple of days, but would like to see what these new legs look like before possibly building the above.

I did complete the build. It flys great and has been good for landing on hard packed surfaces. I can see there being an issue with soft grass. See linked article for pictures. http://flitetest.com/articles/parachutes-are-cool-diy-multirotor-parachute

Within hours of publishing the article I had an epic crash that destroyed the dragonfly and landing skid set up. I have since redesigned using carbon fiber and epoxy. This has significantly reduced the mass.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm definitely going to look into the new set up that Austin was referencing. I will probably build with carbon fiber as well. The biggest issue is trying to minimize the fasteners needed to build either version. The fasteners not only add mass, but also weaken the carbon fiber square tube. I am in the process of doing a third redesign of my dragonfly.

FrankB

FrankB
I did complete the build. It flys great and has been good for landing on hard packed surfaces. I can see there being an issue with soft grass. See linked article for pictures. http://flitetest.com/articles/parachutes-are-cool-diy-multirotor-parachute

Within hours of publishing the article I had an epic crash that destroyed the dragonfly and landing skid set up. I have since redesigned using carbon fiber and epoxy. This has significantly reduced the mass.

I'm definitely going to look into the new set up that Austin was referencing. I will probably build with carbon fiber as well. The biggest issue is trying to minimize the fasteners needed to build either version. The fasteners not only add mass, but also weaken the carbon fiber square tube. I am in the process of doing a third redesign of my dragonfly.

Very cool, thanks for the update! It is looking mighty fine! Great write up on the parachute as well!

Machdog314

Hey everyone, just a quick heads up:

The alternative Dragon Fly landing gear will be available this month. Depending on how you are installing a camera or if you are takeoff/landing on grass the current set up is not ideal.

After trying a landing gear style like AverageGuyRC made, we eventually settled on a tri-gear as seen in the Connex HD video.
View attachment 48329

I believe we have all the parts here to ship, but it will take about a week or so to get them packaged and a 5 min build video shot.

Thanks!
-Austin

Hi AustinFurey - Do you know when the new landing gear will be available? I wanted to buy the Dragonfly kit but was holding off to try to get everything in one order.

FrankB

FrankB
Hi AustinFurey - Do you know when the new landing gear will be available? I wanted to buy the Dragonfly kit but was holding off to try to get everything in one order.

I'm in the same boat you are. I also private messaged Austin 3 weeks ago with a question, and no response. according to his activity, he's only been online a couple of times in the last 3 weeks.

Machdog314

I emailed the store and got the below response on Tuesday 6/30:
"As far as the landing gear, we are just finalizing the product listing and should be posting it to our store in the next several days."

Machdog314

I'm in the same boat you are. I also private messaged Austin 3 weeks ago with a question, and no response. according to his activity, he's only been online a couple of times in the last 3 weeks.

FrankB - Good news, they updated the Dragonfly listing today with the new landing gear. I just put my order in!

FrankB

FrankB
Great! I checked yesterday and didn't see it. Never had a chance today. Looks like I am placing my order tomorrow!
Thanks Machdog314 for the update!