Drill or Press

Bobo

Hi,
I am totally new at this hobby and I am planing to build my first quad. Since I am new at this hobby I don't have many of the tool required to make the quad. I am planning to by a drill but I am not sure if I should by a drill press instead. I have never touched a drill so I thought maybe a press would be better for me. I have been looking at these..

Drill Press
#1 Best Seller Mini Bench Drill Press Hobby Drill Press from amazon
MLCS 2326 Drill Press Table and Fence with T-Track Hold Downs Included from amazon

Drills
I am not sure yet. I am open to options.

If there is any other type of press or drill you guys like please inform me. Also I would like it if it were under 80$.
Thanks

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
Best answer is...both. I did not look at the drill press you've mentioned, but HarborFreight can supply you with both, of adequate quality for about $80...
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-variable-speed-reversible-drill-3670.html
www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-variable-speed-reversible-drill-3670.html

They are very different tools for very different aplications. I would stay away from cordless drill unless you plan on using it alot.

Garage sales are another great option.

If it had to be one or the other, get the hand drill and practice. Presses are nice and very versitile, but more expensive.
My drill press is an offbrand special and has been used as a drill press, sander, lathe (wood and metal), and mill. The quill is pretty sloppy now, I've replaced he switch twice, and abused the crap out of it...It's about 20 year old and should probably be replaced...but it just keeps going.

RoyBro

Mentor
If you have the space, I'd go with the drill press. But I would choose the 3/8 in. press from Harbor Freight Tools. I have a feeling that the motor in the hobby press will be under powered.

A press will certainly make drilling straight holes much easier than a hand held drill. Especially if you are relatively inexperienced.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I think a hand drill would be more versatile. Cordless can get expensive and is unnecessary and can be underpowered. Find a good, corded hand drill and like 510 said, practice. It's all about your stance and how you hold the drill.

When drilling, get a scrap piece of wood to drill ontop of so you don't get blowout from the wood you want to drill when you go all the way through. Use a clamp to hold the wood in place when you're drilling it. It will be a lot easier to drill a straight hole when you have both hands on your drill. Keep your work close to you, have your feet shoulder width apart, and have your head directly above your work so you can look straight down. You'll be surprised how many people try to hold the wood with one hand and drill with the other while standing back from their work and then wonder why they can never get their holes straight.

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
Be pretty easy to build one with a drill press...
A manufactured drill press will be more accurate, more versatile, more powerful, and more durable.

Bobo

Hi,
Also could you guys help recommend some good drill brands. I have heard that black Decker and Dewalt are good.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Dewalt is good but you do pay for the special yellow/black combo. B&D gets some haters but in all it's not too bad for the occasional user, like a normal homeowner or hobbyist. Most of the haters are using them for construction and B&D is a lighter use tool. Dewalt is made for construction type work and is built more solidly but for what you are going to use it for, Dewalt is probably overkill. Another decent brand that has a good price is Ryobi. Decent cordless stuff and pretty cheap. They have corded tools as well. My drill press, bandsaw and belt sander are all Ryobi.

DDSFlyer

I was thinking of getting a drill press for the dremel, found a couple on ebay for 50 or so dollars...think it's too lightweight for the stuff we do?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
If you're only planning on using it for drilling booms and such, it should be fine. Keep in mind, most Dremel's are high speed tools, they can create a lot of heat quickly and usually do not have much torque. Best bet is to get a variable speed so you can slow it down to keep heat to a minimum and only drill very small holes with it. Maybe 4 or 5mm maximum.

Bobo

I am planning to stay in this hobby so I am hopping it will last me a while. I don't have a dremel and I have heard there aren't may drill bit options to it so that was't my first choice. I also have found a few more drills. Here, Here 2. Please tell me you opinions and which is better.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Even if you aren't planning on sticking around, they're useful in so many other ways.

Buy good inexpensive tools now, and you don't have to re-buy crappy ones soon.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
The 12v cordless does not have much runtime regardless of maker. If you are going cordless, make sure the batt's are lithium and not Ni-cads. Also, some cordless drills only have one speed and it's usually a slower speed. If you plan on using it for drilling/shaping, you want to get one with 2 or 3 speeds.