Drone Kits

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I was curious to know if anyone has put a drone together from using a kit. I came across these two kits. TERO Q215 and STX 225 Eachine Typo 99. It looks like these kits are sold thru Banggood. I would like to hear some thoughts about building a drone from a kit. Like to keep the price below $150. Also the drone is for a rookie pilot. I know with the kits some soldering will need to be done. I would also use an Orange TX for control.

All input is welcomed,
Al

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
Don’t buy any kits with any FC lower than F4. Most kits have awful components, it’s better to buy the parts separately and use better quality parts. Biggest corner cutting in kits is flight controllers, cameras and motor quality. All of which can make flying them not as good as if you used better core parts.
There is one DSMX receiver that really works for quads. 6 channels is just enough for quads but more allows you to control extra things like rates, GPS rescue etc.

alan0043

Don’t buy any kits with any FC lower than F4. Most kits have awful components, it’s better to buy the parts separately and use better quality parts. Biggest corner cutting in kits is flight controllers, cameras and motor quality. All of which can make flying them not as good as if you used better core parts.
There is one DSMX receiver that really works for quads. 6 channels is just enough for quads but more allows you to control extra things like rates, GPS rescue etc.

Hi FDS,

Thanks for the info. Question for you. What DSMX receiver would work ? I understand what you are saying about going with better parts.

Al

FDS

Elite member
The Spektrum race one, it’s fairly new. SPM4650
There’s been satellite receivers you can use before for about $15 but this one has autobind etc.

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I came across this product at the Flite Test store. Give me your thoughts about this stack. I would like to build a drone as simple as possible. I am not looking for a racing drone. I am a rookie pilot. Like to build something between 3" to 5". I really don't need speed, just a reliable drone that is easy to fly. If you have any other products please post them. I am open to all input.

Al
https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test-hglrc-xjb-f438-stack-stem-flt-2085/p846382

FDS

Elite member
Don’t use the FT store for quad stuff. Race Day Quads or GetFPV.com are cheaper. That’s a $50 stack.
Stacks are good if you want to have simple connections between flight controller and ESC since most have a ribbon cable. You still have to wire all the receiver, video and auxiliary connections. Nobody uses bullet connectors on quad builds, they risk being popped off or shorting out and soldering direct to the pads is not hard.
If you want a simple 3” to learn on something like a Tyro 99 would be good, you can change the frame if you want to mess with it, as well as upgrading the camera.