• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Drone or toy vehicle?

I have a wrap around farmers porch, with decking for flooring. Every couple of years (like now), wasps appears to be nesting under the desk. Crawing underneith to find the nests does not appeal to me, keep bumping my head on the joists. So, how to find where the nest (s?) are? I was thinking that perhaps a small drone with a camera, or a small toy vehicle with a camera. A drone or a vehicle would need a camera that can look up (are all cameras fixed ?). The desking joists are about 16 inches apart, so a drone would need to fit into that space without bumping into the sides, or have guards so as to not ruin the rotors, and would need to be steady for hovering. A vehicle would not need to fit into the spaces but would also need to be manuravable. No sense spending a lot of money as I know nothing about drones of toy vehicles. Any of these come with lights?. Thanks.

LitterBug

Troll Spammer
I think a wheeled or tracked vehicle would be better suited. Trying to fly in a tight area like that might be futile and require a lot of crawling to pick it up and keep it moving. In theory, you could even put a sprayer on a land vehicle, aim, and shoot via FPV.

LB

JasonK

I think your biggest problem is that there might not be anything already built to spec here. You might have to modify a frame to get what you need.

Honestly, camera on a a stick seems like the easiest solution. next would be a ground vehicle, a drone will be a pain to fly through something like that (and isn't needed for the use case).

If your ok with building , you could even mount the spray on it on a pan/tilt head along with your camera, so you could aim the camera at any nest and 'fire' away.

I want to thank everyone for their replies. I can see from them, that a drone will not work. The emax mentioned above, because of it's small wheels, and the sand under the decking around the house, would not work. Something with bigger wheels, like this...https://www.walmart.com/ip/720P-Cam...nnection-VR-Mode-Children-Baby-Toys/651939745, would probable be more applicable. I am not really a hobbly craft type, once I can identify when the nests are, I will go underneith and spray (when the sun is not bright).

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
My advice would be to spend the money on a professional to remove the bees. Wasps are no joke and can be very aggressive. that all said...One solution that may be viable and far cheaper is warm water and dish soap. this method is used to euthanized aggressive hives by bee keepers and is VERY effective and safe for humans and other wild life.

"Corpse"

My advice would be to spend the money on a professional to remove the bees. Wasps are no joke and can be very aggressive. that all said...One solution that may be viable and far cheaper is warm water and dish soap. this method is used to euthanized aggressive hives by bee keepers and is VERY effective and safe for humans and other wild life.

I hate wasps...