Drone or toy vehicle?

louwho

I have a wrap around farmers porch, with decking for flooring. Every couple of years (like now), wasps appears to be nesting under the desk. Crawing underneith to find the nests does not appeal to me, keep bumping my head on the joists. So, how to find where the nest (s?) are? I was thinking that perhaps a small drone with a camera, or a small toy vehicle with a camera. A drone or a vehicle would need a camera that can look up (are all cameras fixed ?). The desking joists are about 16 inches apart, so a drone would need to fit into that space without bumping into the sides, or have guards so as to not ruin the rotors, and would need to be steady for hovering. A vehicle would not need to fit into the spaces but would also need to be manuravable. No sense spending a lot of money as I know nothing about drones of toy vehicles. Any of these come with lights?. Thanks.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I think a wheeled or tracked vehicle would be better suited. Trying to fly in a tight area like that might be futile and require a lot of crawling to pick it up and keep it moving. In theory, you could even put a sprayer on a land vehicle, aim, and shoot via FPV.

LB

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I think your biggest problem is that there might not be anything already built to spec here. You might have to modify a frame to get what you need.

Honestly, camera on a a stick seems like the easiest solution. next would be a ground vehicle, a drone will be a pain to fly through something like that (and isn't needed for the use case).

If your ok with building , you could even mount the spray on it on a pan/tilt head along with your camera, so you could aim the camera at any nest and 'fire' away.

louwho

I want to thank everyone for their replies. I can see from them, that a drone will not work. The emax mentioned above, because of it's small wheels, and the sand under the decking around the house, would not work. Something with bigger wheels, like this...https://www.walmart.com/ip/720P-Cam...nnection-VR-Mode-Children-Baby-Toys/651939745, would probable be more applicable. I am not really a hobbly craft type, once I can identify when the nests are, I will go underneith and spray (when the sun is not bright).

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
My advice would be to spend the money on a professional to remove the bees. Wasps are no joke and can be very aggressive. that all said...One solution that may be viable and far cheaper is warm water and dish soap. this method is used to euthanized aggressive hives by bee keepers and is VERY effective and safe for humans and other wild life.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
My advice would be to spend the money on a professional to remove the bees. Wasps are no joke and can be very aggressive. that all said...One solution that may be viable and far cheaper is warm water and dish soap. this method is used to euthanized aggressive hives by bee keepers and is VERY effective and safe for humans and other wild life.

I hate wasps...

MussyFaighter

I think that drone is more interesting that a toy car. Recently I was quite lost too in choosing a gift for my brother for his birthday in this week. But then I saw someone flying a drone in a nearby park and I want to have a try. So I decided to get one for him too. I read a lot of articles and reviews, for example here is one of the best article that helped me to take the final decision https://buyersimpact.co.uk/ So, after I chose the drone I was super excited about to give it to my brother. As a result he is happy and really fond of using this drone especially the 3D flip in filming video, which is really amazing.

Last edited:

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Got to be a tank or armoured vehicle with tracks and FPV camera. Fitted with an aerosol that can be dispersed to kill them in situ. Even better a detachable trailer containing a poisoned bait which can be left there (peanut butter, honey and arsenic) ?
Pests gone and a fun project too what could be better.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Got to be a tank or armoured vehicle with tracks and FPV camera. Fitted with an aerosol that can be dispersed to kill them in situ. Even better a detachable trailer containing a poisoned bait which can be left there (peanut butter, honey and arsenic) ?
Pests gone and a fun project too what could be better.

I gotta toss a flag on that play mate.. Leaving poison bait out where pets or other animals might get to it or worse yet drag out in the open where a child might get a hold of it is bad idea anywhere. I live out in a semi country area where dairy farming is big and I hear stories all the time of farmers losing pets and live stock because they got into the rat poison left out for pest control.

Using your tank idea and having it spray simple soapy water solution all over the nest is the safer more simple route and probably have better results then slow acting poisons and sprays.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Of course common sense would prevail I wouldn't go spraying pestacides around or leaving poison around willy nilly, my post was suppose to be a bit tongue in cheek to be honest.
However, I have since thought of a better option. Why not convert the gun and turret into a rotating flame thrower and burn the beggers out lol :unsure::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

mastermalpass

Elite member
I'm surprised you even considered a flying model for a space you don't even want to crawl in. The best vehicle for that would be on tracks - they can swivel on the spot. A good model tank would be good since it will already have a tilt&pan system on it. Of course, it would have to be pretty big. You'd be surprised what an off-road toy will get stuck on.

This is an All-wheel-drive, six-wheeled crawler. Each wheel is almost 3 inches in diameter.

Screenshot_20230122_124343_Gallery.jpg

See that stick poking out of the front and coming out the side? Yeah the truck ran onto it, it flicked up and the truck got stuck! 😂 I tried to reverse and turn, but it was an Austin Powers moment! You could likely find yourself having to crawl after your model anyway.

But of course, let's say you get a vehicle that can do it all down there, using it for anything bee or wasp related should be recon ONLY. Don't even get close to the hive lest you knock it and cause a swarm. Like others have said, call a professional. Ground vehicles are plenty of fun without having to kill anything.