Drone/Quad Simulator

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions about simulators and transmitter working together. I want to learn how to fly a drone. It was suggested to start with a simulator to get the first 1,000 crashes out of the way. lol. I decided to go with a low cost simulator in case things don't go right. I went with FPV Free Rider. The cost was $5/$6. I got it downed loaded ok. Right now I can't get the transmitter ( Spektrum DX5e ) to work with the program. I have also tried a transmitter from the Tiny Hawk bundle with no luck. I'm I using the wrong transmitters ? I didn't want to spend to much money for the program knowing something like this would happen. Any ideas ? I didn't see any support link for the FPV Free Rider to ask them a question. That is the reason why I am asking here. I do have the Phoenix flight simulator and the DX5e does work with it.

Thanks for any input,
Al

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I searched it up ad they seem to have a website. The site has some info about the sim and a link to a page with tips for Spektrum users. Are you using the correct cable to connect the sim and transmitter?

alan0043

I searched it up ad they seem to have a website. The site has some info about the sim and a link to a page with tips for Spektrum users. Are you using the correct cable to connect the sim and transmitter?

Thanks for asking. I am using the same cable that I use with with the DX5e to the simulator to fly the planes.

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
That cable should work. I know on FrSky I had to turn off RX transmit in the model profile I have set up for sim, if using a cable. I recently bought Velocidrone for PC ($20) and a FrSky USB receiver for less than $20, my most painless/satisfying sim quest so far. They probably make something like that for Spectrum.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Velocidrone was a dream to set up with both Spektrum and Taranis for me. It also uses the Betaflight rate system, which makes it a lot easier to match your real copter.

alan0043

When I ran Freerider with Spektrum I had to use Smartpropoplus and vjoy to get it all to work as outlined here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwSDHIR7yDwSaHNwcmZuQm1NeG8/view

It worked in the end, but it wasn't fun ;)

Hi Electri,

It's nice to know that you used SmartProPoplus with FreeRider. I down loaded SmartProPoplus yesterday afternoon and have not used it yet. The nice thing is that I have the correct cable already. Thanks for the article. I'll keep this out. Any time I need to do any kind of computer stuff, it's always a challenge for me.

Right now I am having no luck in getting the above link to open. Just my luck. lol.

Al

Last edited:

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

A little update as of 05/04. I was able to get my Spektrum DX5e to work with FPV Freerider with the help of Smartpropoplus. Now I need to find a setting inside FPV Freerider so I can slow the drone down so I learn to train. Right now the drone flies pretty quick. Does anyone have an idea or too to slow the drone down ? Is there a training/trainer setting ?

Hi PsyBorg, I want to say Thank You again for the suggestion of Smartpropoplus software to get the FPV Freerider to work.

Al

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Velocidrone was a dream to set up with both Spektrum and Taranis for me. It also uses the Betaflight rate system, which makes it a lot easier to match your real copter.

I had a little bit of a problem with Velocidrone, in that it didn't want to detect my wireless USB dongle for Spektrum. I had to manually go in and select it, and then it was fine.

Liftoff was pretty painless for me, except for maybe a year ago when they were patching like crazy. For some reason, during that time, they'd patch and it would force me to redo all of my configuration for the radio. Happened with my USB dongle AND the Ikarus controller my dad had let me borrow, so it was definitely something with the updates - fortunately, they corrected whatever issue was causing that, and it hasn't been a problem since. :)

There's a lot of different programs to use, and I think each of us have a favorite. I myself prefer Liftoff, and it also uses Betaflight tuning capabilities, so it gets pretty stinkin' close to the real world. i put in over 40 hours of flight time on it before i first tried flying a quad, and when i did go into the real world with a racing drone, I scared my dad with the fact that I was doing flips and rolls on my first flight. :)

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I had a little bit of a problem with Velocidrone, in that it didn't want to detect my wireless USB dongle for Spektrum. I had to manually go in and select it, and then it was fine.

There's a lot of different programs to use, and I think each of us have a favorite. I myself prefer Liftoff, and it also uses Betaflight tuning capabilities, so it gets pretty stinkin' close to the real world. i put in over 40 hours of flight time on it before i first tried flying a quad, and when i did go into the real world with a racing drone, I scared my dad with the fact that I was doing flips and rolls on my first flight. :)

I never tried a USB dongle, I just used the audio cable/trainer jack with Velocidrone as well.

When I first upgraded from Freerider, Liftoff was still in alpha and Velocidrone was fully released, so it was a no-brainer for me ;) Its worked really well for me so I haven't felt the need to try Liftoff, though people seem very happy with it as well.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I never tried a USB dongle, I just used the audio cable/trainer jack with Velocidrone as well.

When I first upgraded from Freerider, Liftoff was still in alpha and Velocidrone was fully released, so it was a no-brainer for me ;) Its worked really well for me so I haven't felt the need to try Liftoff, though people seem very happy with it as well.

I like Liftoff better for me because I have more feeling of freestyle; Velocidrone felt more like a straight "race" type of flying when i demoed it.

It's definitely a different feel, but nothing wrong with either one. :)