dRonin - No longer just for the brave

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Sidetracked by testing some future new firmware features

Getting one more "things I must try" knocked off my list and getting some firmware testing in too. Durability (brutality) testing my "special" owl frame, ESCs, motors, props, etc at the same time. So far just LOS testing.

Leveling mode testing

Acro mode testing (where all the rubbin and bumpin happened)

Put a stop to it when the smell of burning lacquer filled the air. Have a bit of cleaning to do:
3DAcroMess.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
You should check to see what props Zoe uses on her 3d quads. I think the issue you you have to take off inverted is normal props are far to inefficient to produce enough lift for dead stop take offs. They will hold up to inverted for a little non aggressive flight in air but still would lose effectiveness over time inverted as power ramps up more to hold a steady altitude.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have chatted with the 3D folks like Zoe a few times. Unfortunately nobody makes 3" 3d props so that won't help in this case. Have some ESC calibration issues at the moment so motors are not spinning up together which is contributing to the inverted flying issues. There are some deadband parameters in the firmware as well which can be set for each motor to get them starting and stopping in unison. Also need to temporarily attach some flexible landing gear on the top so it doesn't tip over so easy when at rest inverted.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Testing new feature coming to dRonin soon. Function working fine. Pilot FAIL!

Descending inverted to do an inverted punch out, but punched the wrong direction... DOH!

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I have chatted with the 3D folks like Zoe a few times. Unfortunately nobody makes 3" 3d props so that won't help in this case. Have some ESC calibration issues at the moment so motors are not spinning up together which is contributing to the inverted flying issues. There are some deadband parameters in the firmware as well which can be set for each motor to get them starting and stopping in unison. Also need to temporarily attach some flexible landing gear on the top so it doesn't tip over so easy when at rest inverted.

Use the old heli training gear trick.. ping pong balls and wooden dowels. Then just rubber band them to the frame so they have some flex.

How much damage did you do face planting that hard? Figure you killed the VTX antenna at the very least. All I have to do is LOOK at my quads and I break antennas.

From flying CP helis and all the sim training I think you will do better learning inverted flight in forward movement easier then trying a flat out hover until you mind and eyes process being upside down without being up side down. FPV inverted is tough to get down. I give mad props to Zoe and people like her that are ripping around like that.

Just remember when inverted.. "Down is up and up is dead" about as useful advise as "go that way very fast.. if something gets in your way..Turn."

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Beta testing unproven software with unproven skills.... This is bound to happen.
Big Slug.jpg

Two props and a 5.8ghz 90 degree adapter.

Gave up on 3" and went straight to HQ 3D5x4.5x2 props. Was cooking my 1306 motors in reverse thrust with normal props.

LB

EDIT: For comparison purposes, this is the HD feed. This is my RunCam "Split" quad

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Thats not a quad.. this is fake news.. thats a swamp salad with props on the side..:p

Looks almost like my Gremlin did this afternoon after losing it in the alfalfa field and not being able to see the ground well with the sun setting. :mad: Luckily I heard the inactivity beeper and was able to dig it out of the ball of grass it had cocooned itself in. :applause:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
So dug into both Danaus frames today in preparation for the next indoor fly. Bah... Danaus 2 is really buggered up and I'm not sure that corner is patchable. Danaus 1 was just cracked in two places so I reinforced it. While I was in there, the SPR F3 got traded out for an SPR F3 EVO, which means that Santa, Pizza, Wile E., and flying POV lights all now fly nothing but dRonin. No more *flight. :)

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Bummer about the frame but happy for ya with the Dronin on all yer gear now. Time to get some more video posted. Maybe put an FPV camera inside While E's head or at least maybe a runcam taped to his shoulder maybe?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Bummer about the frame but happy for ya with the Dronin on all yer gear now. Time to get some more video posted. Maybe put an FPV camera inside While E's head or at least maybe a runcam taped to his shoulder maybe?

Hmmm. TPV from Wile or Santa's view.... Maybe I can try out the RunCam Split cube kit on a second VTX channel....

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Stepping outside my comfort zone and set up a dRonin dev environment. Digging through trying to get a mental note how it is all layed out and ties together. Been a long-long time since I've coded, but can't hurt to poke around and get a look at how it all works. Manually compiled the code and tested the results, so I can at least follow the instructions to set up the dev env, make a fork, and compile the latest "next" test release. If nothing else, It will help with testing.

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
All RIGHTY then! This is REALLY getting good. pre Testing - pre pre-release firmware and new "LQG" flight mode on my new build. PIDs are so so so last year. I have done 0 manual tuning on this build. Autotune and LQG are this tight out of the box! This is RAW, non-stabilized OSD footage:

Need to get WAY more uptilt on this build. Was not expecting it to climb out to 250' instantaneously on launch. Was pretty hard to keep it down on the deck. There's another new dRonin feature that lets you dial back max power as well. This is a good build to test that on since bawlz out, it can eat a 6S 1300mah battery in under a minute.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited: