dRonin - No longer just for the brave

grnd flyr

Nope, but I have it all staged and ready to go. Want to do some Flying this weekend, but don't want to rush. I'll be doing a full build doc on it.... Starting tonight. :)

How about you?

Cheers!
LitterBug

Nope, I'm waiting for some kind soul to do a full build doc... :black_eyed: :D

grnd flyr

connecting the dots... :)

Can anyone have a looksee so I don't let the magic smoke out please? :)

Second FC came with the quick start guide but... does this look peachy using the mPb to connect to Seppuku?

What about RSSI, what do I connect to that pic?

thanks for any info

Attachments

• condensed-parts.jpg
    condensed-parts.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 1

LitterBug

Techno Nut
RSSI would be to your RX if it has RSSI out. Otherwise it is unused. You will need to power the Seppuku from the 5V out on the mPB too.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

grnd flyr

This look ok?

Looks like you can invert if needed for x4r-sb in dRonin right?

Attachments

• connections-with-x4rsb.jpg
    connections-with-x4rsb.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 1

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I don't know about RSSI, S-port, and inversion. Spektrum receivers do not provide it. The +5V/GND looks good.

Cheers!
LitterBug

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Yes seppuku supports inversion on the RX input.

My birthday isn't until tomorrow...but the mailman brought me an early gift yesterday:

20170301_185504.jpg

17036084_10154137185696805_621932114_o.jpg

Time to upgrade some builds :D

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Oh wait...you're talking about the s.port. I'm not sure there since I don't have anything with s.port :(

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Was doing some troubleshooting and was just doing 3D printing and FC tests for the last couple of weeks. All the ducks are now in a row and the OSD bug is squashed. Back to building dRonin rigs. :) Working on FlexRC Pico-X with a FuriousFPV Piko-BLX FC running dRonin (beta testing dRonin on Piko-BLX FC), RMRC Hellbender V2 rebuild with hardware from V1 with a BrainFPV RE1, and my released Seppuku will go in a Shen Drones Krieger-225. Still working on the DTFc dRonin powered single copter as well.

3FCsondRonin.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

EDIT: Oh yeah. Cleaned up my build space so I can get to the mat again.

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
There has been a bit of talk about adding F3evo support since it did away with the CP2102 chip and uses the F3's native USB allowing the bootloader to work. And the emax femto being based on it is tempting. But...again there's a lot of goofiness with the clones and the developers are focused on the pico blx and polishing up seppuku support right now so another new target isn't likely anytime soon. I've toyed with the idea of trying to make a target for F3evo myself...but...that's a bigger project than I've taken on before and I'm a little short on time right now. My old flyingF4 used custom sensors - which required modifying the default FlyingF4 target...but was really just changing a half dozen lines in the target definition to tell it to use different sensor code - all of the wiring was the same and the sensor drivers were already there. F3evo support would big a bigger project since the wiring is different so I'd have to learn how the F3evo is wired (probably by looking at the betaflight source) and then modify a similar dronin target. I could probably pull it off...but I don't have an F3evo or femto board and don't have funds to get one anytime soon and even if I did have such a big pile of projects already half completed I really don't need another.

Though...I know LitterBug has been talking about dusting off his old C skills and looking for something on dRonin to hack at ;) Personally I'd rather see him help out with improving GCS and OSD support. But with spring starting I suspect he'll be doing more flying and less hacking for the next few months :D (and conversely with summer on the horizon I'll be doing less flying and more hiding in the AC so who knows maybe a coding project will start to sound more interesting to me soon.)

@jhitesma,
There's a serious problem with a bunch of clones calling themselves SPR F3 and SPR F3 EVO when they have very little in common with either. Unfortunately the EVO is just as bad if not worse in this regard. I have even seen brushed boards called SPR F3 Evo and now even SPR F4 which doesn't exist. <sigh> All the SPR boards I have came directly from SeriouslyPro.com and have not been problematic except when hooking up power backwards. DOH!

Dusting off "archaic programming" skills, not "old C" skills". ;) I am leaning more tword troubleshooting DSM binding, and GCS at this point. What part of OSD needs help? GCS Drag and drop config maybe? That's a bit over my skill level at this point.

Cheers!
LitterBug

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
@jhitesma,
There's a serious problem with a bunch of clones calling themselves SPR F3 and SPR F3 EVO when they have very little in common with either. Unfortunately the EVO is just as bad if not worse in this regard. I have even seen brushed boards called SPR F3 Evo and now even SPR F4 which doesn't exist. <sigh> All the SPR boards I have came directly from SeriouslyPro.com and have not been problematic except when hooking up power backwards. DOH!

Yeah, the clones are crazy. And all the revo derivatives aren't much better especially with the keyword cramming into the names and putting cc3d in everything :p

Dusting off "archaic programming" skills, not "old C" skills". ;) I am leaning more tword troubleshooting DSM binding, and GCS at this point. What part of OSD needs help? GCS Drag and drop config maybe? That's a bit over my skill level at this point.

Yeah, more general GCS stuff (like what glowtape has been working on the past week or so) though the OSD configuration seems to be a big sticking point with a number of people lately. That's all QT though which is a whole 'nother barrel of fish ;) Your contributions and debugging help have been great and are much appreciated by me and many others, nothing wrong with simply keeping that up!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Yeah, the clones are crazy. And all the revo derivatives aren't much better especially with the keyword cramming into the names and putting cc3d in everything :p

Yeah, biggest problem is people assume the clones are true clones and not just something close that someone threw together and used someone else's branding on. I'd rather pay a bit more to get the real thing rather than deal with support or lack thereof that is a rowboat trip to the other side of the planet and back.

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
So looks like dRonin support for the Seriously Pro Racing F3 EVO is about to happen. Development build for alpha/beta testing is being generated now. Will be using Owl#2 for testing.

Cheers!
LitterBug

EDIT: And yes, Mine is a genuine Evo....

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Initial testing of dRonin on SPR F3 EVO going good on Owl frame. Even have a GPS on this puppy.

Gone through initial config, ESC calibration, Motor testing, RX config, and 6 point calibration of Mag and Accel. Hope to get out and run an autotune tomorrow. Need to button it up first.

Owl2dRoninBuildOut.jpg

dRoninInitialTesting.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Successful autotune and a good amount of LOS fun in the back yard. Had some wood boring bees that decided to chase it around. Should have put a streamer on it to see if they could knock it off. ;-)

Owl2dRoninRedux.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

grnd flyr

Successful autotune and a good amount of LOS fun in the back yard. Had some wood boring bees that decided to chase it around. Should have put a streamer on it to see if they could knock it off. ;-)

Glad to hear it went well, I miss flying and have nothing that works atm. Working on that...

Funny, last year I discovered how well these small sized quads work for de-wasping a nest so you can safely scrape the nest down without getting stung. Just LOS it right under the nest, they self feed into the blender-quad amazingly well. :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
hehe You had bee's I had baby redtail hawks diving at mine yesterday. I have to go thru the video and see what has the best view of them wizzin by to post.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Completely removed the frame and flipped it over to a newer version of the Owl frame that I'm testing for FlexRC. Did another autotune, but this time went out to the front yard and let it rip with some full throttle LOS goodness. I have NEVER had one of my Owl frames fly this locked in. Can't wait to get some FPV gear on it, set up some gates, and do some crash testing of the frame!

Owl3FirstAssembly.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug