Help! DSMX transmitter

whackflyer

Master member
Hey guys, looking for a 6 channel dsmx transmitter for my younger brother, he’s just starting in the hobby and doesn’t want to pay more than about 40$ shipped. I know that sounds ambitious, but any help is appreciated.

Edit: I just noticed I should’ve put this is the transmitter and receiver section, hope it doesn’t matter too much. Moderators can delete if they care too.

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
You re going to struggle at the price point for DSMX. You can buy the Orange TX6i from Hobbyking, which is excellent with DSMX, but is twice that price, or you're going to have to scour second hand for a DX6i. I would avoid the DXE despite its cheap price, there are endless threads on here complaining about issues with the app you need to program it. Thats the only Spektrum branded one close to your price.
What do you need it for? Most PNP aircraft can be easily configured to take other receivers, likewise many Quads can be switched around by changing parts or the whole control board in small ones.
DSMX is only a protocol, its no better than other 2.4mhz systems.

whackflyer

Master member
You re going to struggle at the price point for DSMX. You can buy the Orange TX6i from Hobbyking, which is excellent with DSMX, but is twice that price, or you're going to have to scour second hand for a DX6i. I would avoid the DXE despite its cheap price, there are endless threads on here complaining about issues with the app you need to program it. Thats the only Spektrum branded one close to your price.
What do you need it for? Most PNP aircraft can be easily configured to take other receivers, likewise many Quads can be switched around by changing parts or the whole control board in small ones.
DSMX is only a protocol, its no better than other 2.4mhz systems.

Just FT planes for right now, but I’m a spek guy, and my brother would learn faster having something with the same receiver setup etc., plus I don’t want to have to learn a whole new syste, to teach to him. I’ve checked into dxe’s because of said reason and it would really be a pain to plug into a pc or phone every time you wanted to make a small change.

FDS

Elite member
If you want to buddy box him off your TX then you are stuck with Spektrum for that price. Price of staying in their eco system.

FDS

Elite member
You could put a wanted ad up on the boards here and ask around your local club. Not sure wether the DX6i boxes ok with newer Spektrum since I don’t have it, that’s the only one with on board tweaking and a display that comes up cheaper.

whackflyer

Master member
You could put a wanted ad up on the boards here and ask around your local club. Not sure wether the DX6i boxes ok with newer Spektrum since I don’t have it, that’s the only one with on board tweaking and a display that comes up cheaper.
Unfortunately I don’t have a club near me, so I can’t do that, but according to my research I’ve also concluded that a dx6i or an orx tx6i would be my best bet.

FDS

Elite member
The Orange TX6i DOES NOT buddy box with Spektrum. It has a different connector too. The V2 one with the wedge shaped antenna is an excellent radio, mine has bound easily with Horizon stuff and is easy to set up.

FDS

Elite member
It would be cheaper for you to buy two Flysky FS6i’s off Bangood and use those to buddybox your brother. Then sell the spare when done!

FDS

Elite member
Up usually. They go for around $60 here minimum. I would also look local to you on Craigslist etc to see if someone is clearing out.

Chappie66

For buddy-box, if you are handy with a soldering iron, I took a cheap 6 channel PPM receiver and hacked the connector to a 3.5mm mono jack. Powered with 5v external source, I bind other (student) TX to it, plug the 3.5mm jack into my TX and away we go. Currently not the neatest setup on back of TX, maybe a small project box and Velcro or maybe I will move all internally with an external switch to put in bind mode. That way your brother could use any TX that uses the "buddy RX" protocol. Mine is DSMX, but you could do any

FDS

Elite member
That is a neat solution, do you have any pics or an article that showed you how to do it, because I need to buddy box an Orange TX6i and a Jumper T12 and that sounds like a solution.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
The Orange TX6i DOES NOT buddy box with Spektrum. It has a different connector too. The V2 one with the wedge shaped antenna is an excellent radio, mine has bound easily with Horizon stuff and is easy to set up.

Straight out of the box, yes, there is no cable available to link the TX6i to a Spektrum. But with a little soldering, it can be done pretty easily.

If the Tx6i is as good as it's predecessor, the Tx6 (DSM2 only) then I would recommend it. The Tx6 really was a great radio for the money. Better than my Dx6i at half the price.

All that being said - as @FDS commented, a couple of FlySkys might be a better option. Which Spektrum radio do you currently have?

FDS

Elite member
Thanks for that info, I will certainly be investigating, my TX6I has been very good so far.

Chappie66

Let
That is a neat solution, do you have any pics or an article that showed you how to do it, because I need to buddy box an Orange TX6i and a Jumper T12 and that sounds like a solution.
me see what I can dig up, or whip up.

Attachments

• Wireless buddy box.pdf
    92.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: FDS

whackflyer

Master member
Straight out of the box, yes, there is no cable available to link the TX6i to a Spektrum. But with a little soldering, it can be done pretty easily.

If the Tx6i is as good as it's predecessor, the Tx6 (DSM2 only) then I would recommend it. The Tx6 really was a great radio for the money. Better than my Dx6i at half the price.

All that being said - as @FDS commented, a couple of FlySkys might be a better option. Which Spektrum radio do you currently have?
Spektrum DX6 G2