DTFB F3A Pattern aircraft - design suggestion

RobAust

I'd love to see a DTFB F3A Pattern shape (traditional) shape aircraft. I like the lines of the aircraft and if balanced well they fly straight as an arrow. Here is my favourite Pattern ship:
IMG_0436.JPG

abieex

Mentor
I really think this would be a huge hit with many of us. Nerdnic style wings with Flying Penguin style built up fuse. Probably no need to be swapable. If I had design skills I would be all over this. Put me in for a beta build!!

quimney

I have been wanting one of these for quite a while... I have finally found the time to put a little work into it. Here is where I am at the present.

My goals are as follows so far:
1) fully balanced in X,Y,Z
2) less than 2lb, current calculations put it at 1.5lb with a 2200mah 3s lipo
3) more thrust than weight, target 1.5X
4) 40" wingspan
5) custom "swapable" power pod... just so it is easy to repair when I nose in :)

pattern.png

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
How would this differ from the FT3D?

I am by no means an expert, but I will take a stab at answering your question.

The FT3D is a 3D airplane capable of 3D maneuvers like hover, high alpha, blenders, tumbles, rolling harriers, etc. A lot of the maneuvers are performed below the stall speed of the aircraft.

F3A is the highest level of pattern aerobatics flying where the pilot attempts to fly a routine (pattern) as smoothly as possible while maintaining a constant speed, including while climbing and diving. These maneuvers are more akin to what you might see with a full scale aerobatic airplane.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I have had an F3A airplane on my design to-do list for about 3 years now. Somebody hurry up and design one already so I can take it off my list. ;)

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Take your pick.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6502

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=7337

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5295

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6729

Keep in mind I still have several versions of the Kaos in DTFB plans as well.

If I do one of these, it will be approximately a 40" wing, probably smaller. The relative length of the fuselage will be a limiting factor, unless you are willing to join foam sheets to make the fuse.

Anyhow, let me know.

quimney

How would this differ from the FT3D?

The FT3D is very short coupled, almost twitchy. This one will be very maneuverable but with the long fuselage it should be much smoother at speed. It should still be very maneuverable in high alpha but track nice at speed. I really want to play with a plane that does not loose as much altitude when rolling like the mustang for example but more stable than FT3D.

I have seen F3A planes in action and really wanted to try one... or at least see if i could figure it out.

BTW, This thing is 40" tip to tail so the fuse will have to be spliced somewhere... I'm still trying to figure out where to do that... I know I could shrink it a little but I made the wings as big as what would fit on one sheet because I really wanted a bigger plane and didn't want to splice the wings too. I may even push it to 50" and make the wings 4 piece (top & bottom, left & right). Tougher to transport but big planes fly soooo nice.

Any suggestions as to how to make the fuse splice? I was thinking I would join them into a single piece before folding it up. Probably make the top and bottom pieces at the splice a different length than the sides so it would not have such an easy time breaking the seam.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
The last couple fuselage slices I did were roughly centered at the wing. The foam board joined before folding. I also used fuselage doublers that ran from about 1" before the trailing edge to 1" past the trailing edge. This also made for a nice thick wing saddle.

quimney

Those are great suggestions! I have not built the storch so I will look at it too.

Any thoughts on 40" vs 50" wingspan?

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
40" or 50" will also depend on what electronics you want to use.

40" can get away with smaller/cheaper stuff. I.E. 9g servo's and "C" pack sized motors.

Go too big and you might be flying $150.00 worth of electronics on a $3.00 airframe.

Just a thought.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Subscribed. I'd like to see a more pattern like plane myself.

I have the Racer sbk to build. It's the only C size I could bring with me on the plane and I chose it because it seemed to be the best overall single engine conventional style air frame in the FT lineup.