DTFB F3A Pattern aircraft - design suggestion

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
I took a look at it the other day. It will be easy to resume. Just need to get some time. I thought I might get to it today, but I still have other priorities. Things are settling down fast since my return, just not as fast as I anticipated. Sometime within the next few days I will be able to give a solid progress report.

Thank You.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Here is a Maker Foam plane patterned after the Super Kaos Jr. I did not use an FT style power pod. Motor mounting will require some modeling ingenuity or you can use the 3D printed motor mount that I used. This used the FT Radial "C" pack motor. The servos were some 9g metal gear that I had laying around. A 9x6 prop, and a 4S 2200mah provided loads of power. The PDF plans, the motor mount stl file, and canopy stl file are included below.
001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg

This plane flew excellent. Sorry for no video.

If you decide to build one, let me know if you have questions.

Attachments

• Maker Foam Super Kaos Jr PDF Plans.pdf
    90.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Mount II.stl
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Kaos Canopy.stl
    26.3 KB · Views: 0

Stocksight

Tommy, wow, looks really great! Thanks for doing this!

Are the two parts on the top of page 1 ailerons? What is the small cut out next to them under the measurement reference? What are the two cut outs on the side of the fuselage? What are the two mirrored pieces on page 2?

Sorry for all the questions.

Last edited:

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Here is a Maker Foam plane patterned after the Super Kaos Jr. I did not use an FT style power pod. Motor mounting will require some modeling ingenuity or you can use the 3D printed motor mount that I used. This used the FT Radial "C" pack motor. The servos were some 9g metal gear that I had laying around. A 9x6 prop, and a 4S 2200mah provided loads of power. The PDF plans, the motor mount stl file, and canopy stl file are included below.
View attachment 162637 View attachment 162638 View attachment 162641 View attachment 162642
This plane flew excellent. Sorry for no video.

If you decide to build one, let me know if you have questions.

Very cool! Those ailerons look really big. Are you looking for 3D like performance?

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Tommy, wow, looks really great! Thanks for doing this!

Are the two parts on the top of page 1 ailerons? What is the small cut out next to them under the measurement reference? What are the two cut outs on the side of the fuselage? What are the two mirrored pieces on page 2?

Sorry for all the questions.

The two parts at the top of page one are the ailerons. I did not mark left or right because once the wing is built, it is easy to match up the lines.

The small cut out is a flat plate that tabs into the slots at the front of the fuselage. It gives a nice flat surface for gluing a motor mount.

The two cut outs at the front sides of the fuselage are for the tabs on the motor mounting plate.

The two mirrored pieces on page 2 are fuselage doublers. Once you fold and glue the sides with the top plate, glue in the doublers. Then glue in the bottom plate. Now that the fuselage is sealed up, time to make the cuts for a removable wing.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Let me know if you have more questions.

I know there are no servo cutouts in the fuse. That placement is subjective. Use your servos to help achieve CG.

CG is at the back of the spar.

You will also need to eyeball the placement of the wing hold downs. Use a skewer at the front and rear of the wing, somewhere centered through the doublers.

Stocksight

Tommy, thanks for the information! Could you possibly post some pictures of the tail and bottom? Thank you!

Last edited:

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Tommy, thanks for the information! What are the two outside cutouts on the stabilizer (page 3) used for? Could you post some pictures of the tail and bottom? Thank you!

The outside cutouts on the Horizontal Stabilizer are for the tabs at the back of the fuselage.

I'll send picks in a bit.