DTFB F3A Pattern aircraft - design suggestion

Daniel Liutan

I have been wanting one of these for quite a while... I have finally found the time to put a little work into it. Here is where I am at the present.

My goals are as follows so far:
1) fully balanced in X,Y,Z
2) less than 2lb, current calculations put it at 1.5lb with a 2200mah 3s lipo
3) more thrust than weight, target 1.5X
4) 40" wingspan
5) custom "swapable" power pod... just so it is easy to repair when I nose in :)

View attachment 80162
This design looks amazing !! Could you share the plan or 3D Model please ?
I want to build one ! Please !

JennyC6

Elite member
Here is a Maker Foam plane patterned after the Super Kaos Jr. I did not use an FT style power pod. Motor mounting will require some modeling ingenuity or you can use the 3D printed motor mount that I used. This used the FT Radial "C" pack motor. The servos were some 9g metal gear that I had laying around. A 9x6 prop, and a 4S 2200mah provided loads of power. The PDF plans, the motor mount stl file, and canopy stl file are included below.
View attachment 162637 View attachment 162638 View attachment 162641 View attachment 162642
This plane flew excellent. Sorry for no video.

If you decide to build one, let me know if you have questions.
That thing's gorgeous, but I feel like it could use a much longer tail. It looks 'off' and if I compare that one to the balsa Super Kaos I'm working on that's the key difference.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
This is the SLY, 90cm wingspan.
img.jpeg

And this is my attempt using wheatboard.
IMG_20201026_214954.jpg IMG_20201026_215005.jpg

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
That thing's gorgeous, but I feel like it could use a much longer tail. It looks 'off' and if I compare that one to the balsa Super Kaos I'm working on that's the key difference.

A longer tail would work. The perception distortion in this one is that the ailerons are in addition to the wing chord.

Once I make the final wing, there will be about 2" more between the trailing edge of the wing to the HStab.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
How are you preparing and cutting the tape?
mostly i apply it over a clean and flat surface like the table u see in the picture and cut it there. then i remove the tape carefully and stick it in the plane.
Sometimes i apply it direclty on the model and then i use a ruler and a very very sharp blade to cut it as i like, after that i peal it carefuly.

JennyC6

Elite member
A longer tail would work. The perception distortion in this one is that the ailerons are in addition to the wing chord.

Once I make the final wing, there will be about 2" more between the trailing edge of the wing to the HStab.

Ye, similar views between your pics and my Super Kaos in this video. The wing chord is making the tail look really short. The fuse, the tail feathers, it's all dead nuts right on the money.

Canopy pos is what it is. I've seen them right up behind the prop, I've seen them far back like mine, I've even seen them omitted entirely. I like the canopy roughly right above the wing myself, but that's a subjective thing and easily altered when building.

I imagine it's kinda hard to get the super narrow strip ailerons typical to the Kaos to work with FT-style control horns, and it looks to me like you either traced and cut your own or straight up robbed a pair from a speedbuild kit for yours.

I'd love to get a chance to fly yours sometime! Or even better still, have you up there wingtip-to-wingtip with me, old school and new school in formation at the same time.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Canopy placement is kind of subjective.

The control horns are form FT. I keep some of them and firewalls on hand.

The final will have thinner strip ailerons contained withing the wing chord. Just something I have not taken the time to model up, yet.

The plans are available if you want to cut one out and put it together. I'd be happy to answer any build questions, since I have not done a build thread.

jpot1

Elite member
Started building from the plans and it’s going together well. Any pics of your installed motor mount? Also and printing specs for it or the canopy?

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Started building from the plans and it’s going together well. Any pics of your installed motor mount? Also and printing specs for it or the canopy?

I will check, I think the canopy is on Thingieverse. If it ain't, ill hang it there.

The flat plate in the nose makes the surface to mount to. I will also check to see if the motor mount i used is on thingieverse.