DTFB F3A Pattern aircraft - design suggestion

jpot1

Elite member
CG on spar or just behind? Also any down or right thrust on the motor? I’m using one of your motor mounts and once I glue it in not gonna be able to adjust.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Very cool. Looking forward to hearing about the flying experience and build feedback. If you're up to it.

jpot1

Elite member
Very cool. Looking forward to hearing about the flying experience and build feedback. If you're up to it.
Sure thing. @TEAJR66 can you confirm thrust angle question?

Here is where I am currently. Did a top hatch and wing will not be removable.

0AE3A167-BE90-4EE1-8431-B7134AFDB928.jpeg

12B05919-E3AA-4AB8-9D87-19F1C98D7916.jpeg

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Sure thing. @TEAJR66 can you confirm thrust angle question?

Here is where I am currently. Did a top hatch and wing will not be removable.

View attachment 182497

View attachment 182498
Thrust angle was neutral. No up down, or left/right.

I like the hatch.

I left the wings fixed on the last one. A 4s 2200mah 40c battery went in from the bottom and sat on top of the wing. Between the wing and the fuse.

Initial CG was at the back of the spar. Just balanced it on my fingers at the back corner where the spar tab comes through the wing.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
If you can, put some landing gear on it. If not, at least set an esc brake to keep the prop from free wheeling on landings.

jpot1

Elite member
@TEAJR66 - you’ve got a winner. Flew great right out of my hand. Even with my ailerons reduced by 1/2” plenty of aileron authority. Definitely a keeper. My only thought would be making it a little bigger to fit larger batteries.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
@TEAJR66 - you’ve got a winner. Flew great right out of my hand. Even with my ailerons reduced by 1/2” plenty of aileron authority. Definitely a keeper. My only thought would be making it a little bigger to fit larger batteries.

I'm glad to hear you like it. I have enjoyed it myself.

I have a version laid out with a wider fuse to accommodate an ft power pod.

Making one a little bigger all around would not be hard. What size battery would you like to fit in there?

jpot1

Elite member
I'm glad to hear you like it. I have enjoyed it myself.

I have a version laid out with a wider fuse to accommodate an ft power pod.

Making one a little bigger all around would not be hard. What size battery would you like to fit in there?

I’d love to fit a 3s 2200. I’ll definitely wait for any revised plans as the motor on mine had a premature separation from the firewall during a flight yesterday. :eek: Motor ended up hanging on by 2 bullet connectors so I was actually able to semi control the landing but the prop shredded the nose.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
A 4s 2200 40c battery fits snugly in my last one. I will check the sizes when I am home at the end of November. By early December, we should have a fuse that accommodates a wide range of batteries.

danskis

Master member
@jpot1 - what power system did you use in this? I was going to build a symmetrical foil simple stick but I"m rethinking that and considering this plane. I just wonder what would be the difference between this plane and a simple stick? Are you still flying this plane?

@TEAJR66 I'm wondering about the power system because I've never used a C pack. I've got some 35XX motors that I think would run on 3s or 4s (given to me so no idea what kv they are) and some 2835 1400kv motors that only run on 3s. I'm thinking the 35XX motors might be too heavy? Also, whats the current state of the plans?