DTFB Grumman Goose

Allenhat

20160212_212010.jpg

Started sheeting the nacelles with foam board. Thanks to nerdnic for the inspiration. If you haven't checked out his P-38 build thread go do it. The guy comes up with some great ways of doing things.

I had forgotten how long ago I started this project. Can't wait to put this thing in the air. Already thinking ahead to what I will do different on the next build and what to build after that. Maybe I will stick with someone else's design next but probably not.

Last edited:

Allenhat

20160214_210138.jpg

Nacelles are skinned. Sharpie with on the left nacelle will have to wait my hands has reached it's limit of usefulness for today.

Starting to get really psyched about this project again. I am also feeling like she needs a name now. Leaning heavily towards Agnes. It seems like a good name for a goose.

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
Thats looking awesome Allen. I'm finally starting to get to some of my plane projects as well. I have a few half finished custom twins I should really get going on as well. Just about done with my FT Bronco, then maybe I'll get to some of my own designs again.

Allenhat

UPDATE TIME!!!!

It is ready for maiden......................more news and pictures to follow soon (hopefully not pictures of it balled after a crash though)

Allenhat

It unfortunately went as expected and not add hoped. I think I need more thrust. Plus throws were way too high even on 70% low rates I had set up. Never really got into level flight. I think it might have been nose heavy. Need to build a new nose and fix the wing tips. As a positive the wing mounting was as solid as a rock. It did a couple cartwheels with no visible damage.

Last edited:

Allenhat

I think I shall call her Abigail for now. She is repaired and ready for a second go. I am crossing my fingers that I get a chance to fly her this weekend.

Allenhat

I may have not broken a leg but I have broken the nose on the Goose for a second time. Going back to the drawing board for now. Increasing wing area and motor size. I feel like the wing loading was just to high and the CG sensitivity from airfoil and wing loading were not making things very easy. That and the motors were just to anemic for the bird.

Allenhat

Holy cow I have been away from this build for a long time. I however finally have an update. Started printing out the templates to cut my MkII wing. Hopefully the modified fuselage will be printing soon as well. The SketchUp model is done so wish my luck. Hopefully more updates will follow soon.

TaleSpin

Can't wait for the update. If she flies well I'm adding this to the build list. Love me some seaplanes. Nice work so far! Looks great!

Allenhat

Can't wait for the update. If she flies well I'm adding this to the build list. Love me some seaplanes. Nice work so far! Looks great!

Thanks TaleSpin.

I just about have the drawings ready for me to start the first build of my Goose with the new wing. I post updates as the build progresses. My goal is to have some foam cut and glued by the end of next week as the remainder of this week isn't going to allow for much progress other than refining the drawings some.

Allenhat

Revision 3 is done and parts are being cut. I will post pictures as the build takes place. Getting pschyed about this build and.

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
Hoping for the best! I love the Goose, and it was the basis for a very interesting concept.
kaman.jpg
k-16b-photo.jpg

Allenhat

That is so awesome. I may have to attempt something like that when I get the original Goose flying well. I have wanted to do some sort of a VTOL for the last couple years.