DTFB Grumman Goose

Allenhat

Scale Build Off - DTFB Grumman Goose

goose.png

Almost finished with the 3D model.

Last edited:

Allenhat

SketchUp Make, the free one. This is my first attempt with this software but I have some Solidworks and AutoCAD experience. Unfortunately I had give back the laptop I had borrowed with Solidworks on it. This may have gone a little faster with less of a learning curve.

I expect the prototype will not be seaworthy. That will come later after I get any wrinkles ironed out.

saiga556

Full of...
SketchUp Make, the free one. This is my first attempt with this software but I have some Solidworks and AutoCAD experience. Unfortunately I had give back the laptop I had borrowed with Solidworks on it. This may have gone a little faster with less of a learning curve.

I expect the prototype will not be seaworthy. That will come later after I get any wrinkles ironed out.

I hear you on the sketchup learning curve. I had some schooling on autocad in the past and trying to convert to sketchup has been kind of a pain. I personally don't really like how it works. If I could afford autocad I would switch back. Sketchup lacks many of the tools that I remember using with autocad, especially when it comes to using solids.

All that being said I like your model. Will make a really cool plane.

markyoe

A little off topic but have any of you guys used Autodesk? I will be taking a CADD class that will be teaching Autodesk.

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
Not trying to hijack the thread but saiga556, have you tried draftsight? Look it up. It's essentially a free version of auto cad. It looks and feels exactly the same. I draw all my planes in it.

Justin

Allenhat

I tried using Draftsight on my computer but it kept crashing while opening the program.

To answer the Autodesk question. Autodesk is the publisher for AutoCAD like Microsoft is for Word and Excel. I have not used anything of theirs since the 2003 edition of AutoCAD lite. Inventor was their Solidworks equivalent last I knew and I have not used it. My 3D AutoCAD experience is limited to solids and Mechanical Desktop 3.0 12 years ago.

I may be switching to a 2D software (my learning curve unfolding such a complex model is getting frustrating). I know JUSS10 does his stuff in 2D and gets excellent looking results.

Last edited:

unrauv

MicroStation

I use Microstation for all my work and I design all my models in 2D. Currently building a B17.

Allenhat

Never heard of Microstation I will have to look into it.

On a positive Sketchup is starting to click. I also figured out my unfolding woes. Just needed the right plugin.

Allenhat

Update

Still working on the drawings but making some progress figuring out how I want things to fit together. I think I about have the nacelles worked out. Wing is getting close also. Vertical and horizontal stabs just need final details added. Fuselage needs simplified some.

Tip floats are driving me crazy though. I know I will most likely just carve them out of solid foam in the end but really would like some representation in the CAD model.

Here is a picture as it currently sits with some dimensions on it. I am planning on powering it with a pair of 1804 or 1806 motors but I should be able to scale it larger from here if I decide it is to small.

goose4.png

Allenhat

Update #2

First set of plans are printed!!!!

Working on tapeing pages together. Everything should fit on just under three sheets. I hope to start cutting foam tomorrow. I doubt my first build will be much more then proofing the plans and build techniques. If anyone is ambitious (crazy) enough to try and tackle an alpha level build I would be happy to post plans here.

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
If you want to send me the 2D cad I will cut it on the laser and give it a try! I think it's worth a try for $3 :)