DTFB Pattern plane

mrwhiskers

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Dear FT Crew,
Ever since i started flying i have been fascinated by the classic pattern planes of the 70s and 80s. Fast and Sleek, its no wonder they were so popular. nowadays though the pattern planes just aren't the same. I think it would be great if Flite Test made some kind of classic pattern plane out of dtfb. the Joe Bridi Kaos is very boxy and may be able to be converted to foam board easily. Flite Test is going in many directions and i think pattern may just be another great direction for people passionate about this kind of flying.

Best regards,
-Curtiss

smacfe

KAOS - PLEASE!!!!

I agree, the Kaos would be an outstanding project. It is such a great flying airplane and would be an easy conversion. It would be cool to span the decades with a modern incarnation of a great classic! Here is one of my scratch built Kaos and the plans.
Scott

Attachments

• kaos.jpg
    kaos.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 27
  • kaos plans.jpg
    kaos plans.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 52

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Sooo...if someone where to take this on as a design project (wink, wink) would you be looking for the full-size 60" wingspan? Or, Should it be scaled down to something that would work as a swappable-size pattern plane? Not saying I'm going to do it or anything...

Kaos CAD.png

bobsav2121

60" wings happen to be just the right size for the foam board, after all might as well use it all, waste not want not :)
just me 2 cents

Bob

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
60" wings happen to be just the right size for the foam board, after all might as well use it all, waste not want not :)
just me 2 cents

Bob

Thanks for the vote. My only concern is that it probably will not fly off the FT Power Pack C Motor at that size. Not that it has to. ;)

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
For those asking for a 60" Kaos, please recommend some power setups. I'm thinking the NTM 35-36 1800 kv with a 60-70 amp ESC? Thoughts?

CartCurt

Sooo...if someone where to take this on as a design project (wink, wink) would you be looking for the full-size 60" wingspan? Or, Should it be scaled down to something that would work as a swappable-size pattern plane? Not saying I'm going to do it or anything...

I owned the 40 size Super Kaos and it flew as good as the 60 size. I would like to see one with the beef swappable power pod. Of course I would have to build a 60 inch version if there was one. Then there would have to be a mini Kaos to round out the family.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Size...

After Eric posted this on his Instagram I'm not sure if someone will ever beat Peter in x00% model aircrafts...

10986064_1053982491283890_1914963368_n.jpg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Size...

After Eric posted this on his Instagram I'm not sure if someone will ever beat Peter in x00% model aircrafts...

You must not have seen these pics on the Flite Test Facebook page then???

13074_870158003050108_2449272175923322539_n.jpg

11063733_869900733075835_2129963335667481743_n.jpg

mrwhiskers

Ludicrous speed, GO!
as cool as a 60'' kaos would be, i don't have any batteries for a plane that big. the biggest battery i have is a 2200 mah 3 cell, which i guess just about everyone has. if someone could design one around that battery, it would be much appreciated

-Curtiss

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
It will take some time, but I think I can pull off a full-size (60"), a swappable size (I'm thinking 40") and, if I can pull it off, A mighty mini size (20-ish"). Not sure about the Trike gear on the mini???

I'm working on my first attempt at scaling down a plane with my Bloody Baron and so far that is working out pretty well. I modified the plans and had one built in about 6 hours. If flies good, I just need to get it dialed in.

mrwhiskers

Ludicrous speed, GO!
if I'm not mistaken, there was actually a mini kaos of around 36'' span and norvel 0.61.

Attachments

• MiniKaos-1.jpg
    MiniKaos-1.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 22

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Here is an Ultimate Kaos. I have the plans ready to go to PDF. There has been no proofing construction with this one as I have none of my hobby stuff with me. 60" wingspan, designed around an FT Power Pod (its gonna take a pretty large motor as I have It set up for a 3536 can rite now). Let me know if some one wants to try building one, I will send the PDF's.
Ultimate Kaos Assembled LF.jpg Ultimate Kaos Assembled LR.jpg Ultimate Kaos Assembled side.jpg Ultimate Kaos Assembled top.jpg

Team_Monkey

For those asking for a 60" Kaos, please recommend some power setups. I'm thinking the NTM 35-36 1800 kv with a 60-70 amp ESC? Thoughts?

That is a very good "speed" motor but the KV is too high, which wuold require small propellers. It's too high RPM to be a good pattern motor. Depending on the battery you plan to run (3S or 4S) target 12000 -14000 RPM and you should be able to run pattern style props in the 11-12" range.

I'm a fan of the Turnigy 3548-4, 1100KV motor. They are about $20 and do really well on the HK APC clone 11x5.5 props and a cheap 60A ESC.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
So, after a little more research on this plane, it seams to me like the Super Kaos would be the one to recreate in foam board? There were a lot of derivatives of the original including the Ultimate Kaos, Super Kaos Jr., Killer Choas, and Utter Chaos (best name by far :p). Of these the Super Kaos 60 seems to be the most popular/loved pattern plane out there. So why do a Koas vs. a Super Kaos?