DTFB Pattern plane

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
I went with the ultimate because the tail was easier to work out. The super and the Jr. were pretty much just size variations. Plus I was limited to the plans found on outerzone.com. If anyone wants the plans for the ultimate modeled above, send me a PM with your email and I will send the PDF's. Looks like it will use 7 sheets of DTFB.

canuck

I'm willing to try a 40" version for a standard swapable pod. I'll lay it up and see how it sizes out. I'm sure small fuselage changes won't change much. I'll try and update tomorrow.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
The issue I am having with scaling for a standard power pod is that once you scale the fuse to fit the pod, the wings are over 40". I think that leaves three ways to go.

1. Fit the pod and take the span that comes with it. (only about a 46" span)
2. Make the 40" span and ditch the pod.
3. Make the 40" span with a wider fuselage to fit the pod. (this could cost the resemblance to the Kaos)

MrClean

Don't use a pod. It's a performance vehicle, a swappable pod would only detract from it. Solves your scaling problem.

CartCurt

I agree with option 2. Don't use a pod. I like the 40" span design. More common motor, esc, and batteries.

canuck

After resizing the 3 view it does appear that the fuselage would have required too much stretch to fit the pod so I'll do without. I'll probably still double up the fuselage behind the firewall to stiffen things up a bit.

canuck

I have the wing drawn up. just starting to work on the fuse. Taking me a bit longer after changing layout tool to sketchup but making progress.

canuck

This is version 1 of the wing. Fully symmetrical tapered wing.

kaos_wing.jpg

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Here is the Super Kaos Jr (chosen for its straighter lines). Scaled to a wingspan just over 38". The PDF's will be ready soon. Let me know if you are interested. A PM with your email and I will send the plans. Super Kaos Jr Iso.png Super Kaos Jr Side top.png Super Kaos Jr side.png

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
No power pod for this one. Just a fire wall in the fuse. My deviations from the plan was a wing mounted a little higher in the fuse to allow for full fuse all the way front to rear. The other deviation is the elevator and it's key hole. The original models had split elevators with split push rods and a control horn per side (this mod allowed for a solid elevator).

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
The PDF's are ready. Here is a look at the plans in Sketchup before they were made PDF.
SK Jr. Fuselage Plans.png SK Jr. Spar Stabs Ailerons Plans.png SK Jr. Wing Plans.png

If you are interested, send me a PM and I can email you the PDF's.

Is there a way to attach PDF files here in the forums?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Is there a way to attach PDF files here in the forums?

I use my Google Drive to store my plans. You could also use Dropbox, OneDrive or some other online file storage service to do the same thing. All of them offer free accounts with a sizable amount of online storage space. One you have the file online, you can get a share-able link for the file and use the link function in the forums to "attach" the file here. At least that's what I do.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Test Builders welcome

Folks,

I gave this plane a shot at foam conversion. I am overseas and away from all of my hobby stuff. I have not had a chance to construct this to proof the plans. If someone wanted to try cutting this out and assembling the parts, then give some feedback, I would appreciate it. Flying it would be a whole nother issue.
Here is a set of plans. This is just the foam portion. You will need to figure out the hardware mounting. These are arranged to fit on three sheets of DTFB. Black = cut through, Red = score cut. The very nose is rounded top, bottom, and both sides, I would remove the inside paper from those areas.
When you open the plans in Adobe reader, use the snapshot tool to frame in as close as you can around the parts. Print as poster at 100%. If you have any issues or questions, feel free to ask.

Respectfully,
Tommy

P.S. The plans show one spar. Two are needed as the spar is doubled.

Attachments

• DTFB Super Kaos Jr Fuselage Plans.pdf
    166.6 KB · Views: 32
  • DTFB Super Kaos Jr Spar Stabs Ailerons Plans.pdf
    89 KB · Views: 43
  • DTFB Super Kaos Jr Wing Plans.pdf
    187.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
I got some foam in the mail today, along with some other build supplies. No electronics or hardware because I cant fly here. The plans worked. This thing looks like a Super Kaos Jr..

IMG_1561.JPG IMG_1562.JPG IMG_1564.JPG

Tomorrow I will tape the control surfaces neutral, balance it, and do some test glides.

There are four things I am going to change on the plans, just to make them an easier cutout. I will move a fuselage side to the other side of the bottom plate and connect the rear top plate down the side of the fuselage. Then there are two lines to recolor. I will post the new plans soon.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
The test glide was nice. Don't know if I will be able to post the video yet. I made some changes to the plans. Just rearranged the pieces a little smarter, added a second spar outline, re-colored a couple lines and viola DTFB Super Kaos Jr. V1.1 plans.

If someone could build one and try to fly it, I would appreciate the feedback. Of course its not my design, so no credit there. I am just curious if it works in DTFB. This will be one that I recreate once I get home and can fly again.

Nothing spectacular to document about the build. This would be my advice having assembled it only once and never flown it.

1. Don't cut the wing slots till the fuselage is assembled.

2. Build the front and back half of the fuselage, Top and sides (hold off on the belly and curved nose till last). Peel the paper from the inside of the nose sections that will curve. Then join the two halves upside down on the work surface (the top is the longest, straightest line that makes alignment of the two halves easiest). Then close up the rear belly plate. Then start working the curved faces forward.

3. Put the gear as far forward as possible. There is a lot of tail back there. The CG is rite under the rear half of the spar.

Attachments

• DTFB Super Kaos Jr Fuselage Plans V1.1.pdf
    158.4 KB · Views: 39
  • DTFB Super Kaos Jr Spar Stabs Aileron Plans V1.1.pdf
    93.6 KB · Views: 37
  • DTFB Super Kaos Jr Wing Plans V1.1.pdf
    186.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

mrwhiskers

Ludicrous speed, GO!
As this thread is about pattern planes, i have another pattern plane that would be cool to build: THE DUELLIST!!!!!! for those of you who have never seen one, the duelist is a twin engine pattern plane (looks like a twin engine great planes dirty birdy) and apparently a real performer. the power could be the swappable twin power packs with high performance props.

Last edited: