DTFB Racing Sloop- Scratchbuilt Sailboat

synjin

Elite member
Okay, CBA, I know you put this thread up months ago, but it's been ticking around in the back of my head. I'm not ready to jump into a 1 meter sloop, but while poking around the web I found Footys.

I'm not sure I want to go with foam board for constructing a boat just yet, but I think I'll try corriplas and see how that goes. Corriplas is $6 a sheet at Michaels, and if I'm careful I should get 2 hulls out of it. I'm going to give the Awk plans a try. Just need to trace them in Inkscape so I can make them into tiled plans.

ALL I need is another RC form to suck up my time. I wonder if the wife will notice?

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Okay, CBA, I know you put this thread up months ago, but it's been ticking around in the back of my head. I'm not ready to jump into a 1 meter sloop, but while poking around the web I found Footys.

I'm not sure I want to go with foam board for constructing a boat just yet, but I think I'll try corriplas and see how that goes. Corriplas is $6 a sheet at Michaels, and if I'm careful I should get 2 hulls out of it. I'm going to give the Awk plans a try. Just need to trace them in Inkscape so I can make them into tiled plans.

ALL I need is another RC form to suck up my time. I wonder if the wife will notice?
she will notice the missing bed sheet you'll need for the sail:LOL:

synjin

Elite member
Here is another Footy that I think will be a first build for me. I'm going to use corriplast, but it could be done in foam board with proper water proofing. There's a build video and everything: http://www.sailfootyuk.com/supabug.html

Also, here's my tiled plans for Supabug. Just the major hull parts. Note: this is a version 1 and I haven't tried it out yet. I just made sure they were to the right scale and traced them.

Attachments

• SupabugTiledPlan.pdf
    21.2 KB · Views: 0

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Building a Seaplane and a Boat aren't too much different (at least the hull/pontoon part), just no counterweight, or keel

There is a Lot of Great information here. if we want to build a Winch servo from 9g cheapo servos.... any tips? (like - hot glue a bobbin on to the gear)

Last edited:

synjin

Elite member
Building a Seaplane and a Boat aren't too much different (at least the hull/pontoon part), just no counterweight, or keel

There is a Lot of Great information here. if we want to build a Winch servo from 9g cheapo servos.... any tips? (like - hot glue a bobbin on to the gear)

You need a continuous movement servo for that kind of sail winch. For small boats like these, you can just rig up a really long servo arm, like a couple of inches. This will give you the throw to pull the sails in or let them out. That’s what several of the people on one of the Facebook RC sailboat groups have said.

Here’s what I found to explain the differences: https://www.theamya.org/hints/sailservo.php

Here’s a photo one of the fellows posted:
1620498473241.png

There are several kinds of sailing rigs that I could use for this model, and I’m still trying to figure that out. Interestingly, it’s easier to figure out how to design airplane wings than sailing rigs.

Also, making a keel seems to be more involve then I thought at first. The ones on the plans for several of the Footys I’ve looked at seem to be laminated fiberglass or carbon fiber. And, I haven’t figured out how to calculate the weight needed in the bulb. That I suspect that has to do with displacement of the hull.

As in any hobby, there are lots of folks who will gladly lead you down the primrose path to greater hobby madness. The folks on several FB groups have been helpful…like that’s what I really need. The house is littered with foam board airplanes, 10 or so quads I built just because I could (not that I can fly quads), two RC crawlers, and now one RC sailboat, in pieces, that needs to be put together. I may need a bigger work space.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Of all the threads I expected to get revived while I was out, this wasn't it.
Just been busy with work, too tired to build anything. I have a few days off next week so I might try and knock something out, I managed to push through and get some nerf mods done today too.

@Matthewdupreez I think this was the site, I'm not sure if they have plans available but there is a kit. The hull is super easy to make on its own though, literally just four panels with a bit of twist in the sides.

http://www.modelsailboat.com/rc-sail.html

Interestingly enough I actually picked up this project again briefly a few days ago and knocked out some sanding on the hull, made a huge mess. Belt sander is not the tool for drywall filler, but it is efficient.

Last edited:

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Just been busy with work, too tired to build anything. I have a few days off next week so I might try and knock something out, I managed to push through and get some nerf mods done today too.

@Matthewdupreez I think this was the site, I'm not sure if they have plans available but there is a kit. The hull is super easy to make on its own though, literally just four panels with a bit of twist in the sides.

Interestingly enough I actually picked up this project again briefly a few days ago and knocked out some sanding on the hull, made a huge mess. Belt sander is not the tool for drywall filler, but it is efficient.
thanks

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member

quick question how did you trace out the profile and get the correct profile?
@Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes