Dual and expo rates for a Tiny Trainer using flysky i6

smiling albert

Hi
Some of you will no doubt recognise me after my binding problems yesterday!
Have tried watching the FT video on rates but as usual am a little confused .
I am a beginner ,yet to fly, using trainer wing so only got 3 channels so
I only have to do this for elevator and rudder.
My channel 1 is rudder ,currently the rate is 100 and expo is 0.
My channel 2 is elevators ,rate also 100 ,expo 0.
Rather than doing it Josh,s way on the video can I just dial in the amounts?
FDS a long suffering colleague/ helper mentioned 30 % for expo(is that minus 30% on the flysky?)
Would I do that for both channel 1 and 2?
If that’s ok could I do the same for the rates and if so what number would you recommend for a complete beginner?
Thanks

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
30 % for expo(is that minus 30% on the flysky?)
No, you want +30 Edit: On my FlySkk 9x you want +30, your Tx may vary

Would I do that for both channel 1 and 2?
Yes, Expo on both elevator & rudder.

If that’s ok could I do the same for the rates and if so what number would you recommend for a complete beginner?
Thanks
No, Rates and Expo are different.

Rates are how far the servo will move, a lower the rate will move the servo less. That is, the total servo movement will be less at full stick. Expo will not change the total distance of how far the servo moves, the servo will still move the same amount at full stick. With positive Expo, the servo will move less near the center of the stick and more as you approach full stick. Expo is totally user preference, some like a lot and some don't like any. To see is in action, set a very high number, like 90%, slowly move the stick to the end and watch how the surface moves. But don't try to fly your plane with 90% expo.

Examples:
No Expo. Near the center or near the end, if you move the stick 5 degrees you get a 5 degree servo movement.
30% Expo, near the center 5 degrees of stick gives 2 degrees of servo movement. Near the end, 5 degrees of stick gives 8 degrees of servo movement.

Regarding rates, On each FT plan there are instructions on how far the control surface should travel. Set your rates to achieve the suggested amount of travel. The exact number will vary depending on how you build your plane.

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
@Merv - the coin just dropped on the 'rates' - I have been using endpoints where I should have used rates?
Yes, you should be using rates. With rates, you can, with the flick of a switch go from low rates to high rates. By setting the endpoints, you limited your travel, you just can't change it 'on the fly'. Setting end points should be used to prevent the servo form binding. The servo want to move farther but it can't, it is hitting something.

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I use the iA6 and for Expo you need to set the Expo negative. Whilst this is different to Spektrum and most others it must be negative on the flusky or the plane will become even more difficult to control. Look at the supplied curve and ensure that your curve is a little flatter in the centre of the curve.

As for a rates setting, (normally controlled by a switch. You need to operate the switch whilst in the programming screen to see what the settings are in the high rate position and then the low rate switch position.

I normally leave the high rates at 100% and turn down the low rate position to between 60% and 80% depending on the model to be flown.

Hope that helps!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
@Hai-Lee makes a good point, with Expo you want little response near the center and a lot near the ends. Test it on the ground with a large number to see if it is doing what you want. Then turn it down to something reasonable (20-30%) to fly with, it's good to start low and work higher. With my Tx, the Expo has always been positive, with your Tx it may be different.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Just a little note about setting Expo. DO NOT set your Expo to mare than 50% or the control stick will become almost like a 3 position switch. You will find it becomes less controllable and you will end up stick banging just to keep the bird in the air.

A little note on end points. The Tx will give smooth and linear control between the neutral position and the programmed end points so for the newbie it can be used to set a degree of differential and smooth out the rolls so that they become more axial! (In other words to balance out the control surface drag and minimize the unwanted Yaw component of a roll.

Have fun!