dual motor spitfire major control problems

imjeffd

ok not sure whats wrong but think it has to do with changing the motors position lower on the plane
anyway what its doing is going up/loops or dives it wants to do everything but go straight i tried changing the cg but it did not help right now it over top of the spar it did seem to glide well and yes it has crazy amounts of power

Attachments

• 0612182129_HDR.jpg
    0612182129_HDR.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 0612182129a_HDR.jpg
    0612182129a_HDR.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 0612182129b_HDR.jpg
    0612182129b_HDR.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 0612182129f_HDR.jpg
    0612182129f_HDR.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 0

Michael9865

Elite member
Are your motors mounted at 0 degrees to the fuselage and the bottom of the wing? The plans look like the motor is mounted at 0. When you are flying do you install some sort of nose?

Michael9865

Elite member
Try something to close up the nose some, maybe a nose assembly like the cruiser. Try that and then troubleshoot from there. Doing one thing at a time helps you to see what each change gets you. If you "make wholesale changes" you can't tell what helps and what may cause other problems.

imjeffd

ok so i moved the motors up as you can see in photo no luck other then i can no longer have any control over the roll and almost no negative input on the elevator im plaining on putting tape over the nose next would have done that to night but can only handle one flight with it like this i could literally try to turn all one way and it would still go the other way

Attachments

• 0615182115_HDR.jpg
    0615182115_HDR.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 0615182115a_HDR.jpg
    0615182115a_HDR.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 0

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The short explanation is that the tail surfaces are TOO SMALL! When you add the fact that no two motor/prop combinations provide the exact same thrust you are in for problems. The nose of the plane being effectively BLUNT is acting like a parachute above the CG and so the plane is having its nose pulled upwards with increasing speed.

Your statement about the roll is unclear but with asymmetrical thrust I am surprised that you actually managed to have it fly at all.

Things to do or try!
Mix some rudder, (Differential), in with the motors, (motors on 2 separate Rx channels).
Increase the vertical fin and rudder areas.
Increase the horizontal fin and elevator areas.
Try having the motors spin or rotate in opposite directions to each other.
Ensure that you include a down thrust angle in the motor installations, (start at 3 degrees).
Ensure that the wing incidences are equal and that the motor thrust angles are also equal.
Do your testing slightly nose heavy as the tail area may not be able to handle too much positive loading until it is markedly larger.
Motor positions in line with the wing LE or slightly above will be best as a starting point.
Round off and close in the fuselage nose.

With any change you try note its effectiveness or uselessness so that we can assist further.

Have fun!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
with the motors mounted that high you are above the center line with the thrust. this is what is causing the plane to loop. you need some down thrust, like mentioned start @ 3 degrees but i think it will take more like 6 or 7 with as high as they are. check in the mini-crusier thread, lot's of into there on down thrust and twin motors.

good luck,

me :cool:

imjeffd

ok thanks i might just build the mini-crusier the motors and battery might be a bit big but it would be fast landing might be a bit fun

imjeffd

ok flew today went better then before. engines are back where they were originally besides for they are 1 cm further forward to help with cg and to help deal with the Resistance that is on the nose speaking of the nose i added one on and i think that helped the most. i should have made it more symmetrical but hey it flew had the elevator stick all the way forward but changing the engine angle could help with that. i think that moving the wings and motors together up to the middle of the plane vertically with a symmetrical nose and it would fly great not sure. for now though probably just change engine angle and make the nose more symmetrical and give it another go

Attachments

• 0617181630_HDR.jpg
    0617181630_HDR.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 0617181630a_HDR.jpg
    0617181630a_HDR.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 0617181630b_HDR.jpg
    0617181630b_HDR.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Sounds like you are on it!
Won't be long before you have that one wheeling around the sky like it was retail foamie.

Congrates and keep at it!

Have fun!

imjeffd

ok so update i kept the some nose so only one thing was changed at a time i moved the wing up about two AA batteries wide however i messed up and gave it a angle up about 5 degrees it still flew better then it has before but it did keep wanting to go into a high alpha i think that this has a lot to do with it being a bit tall heavy idk going to make one from scratch now with the changes to the wing and the nose then play with engine angle to fine tune it