Dual Rates On FT Mighty Mini Sportster?

CobyG

Hey guys, I'm just wondering if anybody might be able to help with this question: Will not having a transmitter with dual rates affect the performance of my FT Mighty Mini Sportster?
Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

FDS

Elite member
I wouldn‘t advise buying any TX that doesn’t allow you to set rates and expo, you can set rates mechanically but considering most entry level TX’s like the Flysky FS6i have the ability to do it for $60 there is no reason to use a TX that doesn’t.
You will be able to fly without it but if you are a beginner it will be very twitchy feeling, all the control surfaces will have full movement, any over correction you do on the sticks will be much harder to compensate for. It’s not impossible to learn like that but you will crash more.

CobyG

Thank you for the information you have shared! Do you know if this may have anything with my airplane stalling after every takeoff.
Thanks again!

FDS

Elite member
What exactly happens? A stall happens when the wing angle of attack goes too steep or the airspeed drops too much to maintain lift. When launching you want a good left handed throw, nose slightly up, right hand on the sticks (mode 2) and a good 75% throttle. You don’t want to pull too much up elevator or try to turn until you are at least 50 ft up. You might have to correct if your plane is not well trimmed, resist the urge to touch a trim tab until it’s up higher. Trim elevator, ailerons then rudder.

CobyG

Once my airplane gets about 4' high, it pulls vertical and then stalls. All this is happening with 100% throttle, and very slight up elevator.

FDS

Elite member
That’s because your throttle is too high, you have enough thrust to hang off the prop, set a throttle cut to take the top end off, you won’t need that power until you are more proficient.
are you ground launching? I never do that, it makes take off much harder, especially in tail draggers.

CobyG

Thanks!
Yes I am ground launching, but I have tried hand launching with the same effect.

FDS

Elite member
I run 6x4 APC props on my minis, 6x3 will certainly have enough thrust, a slow fly type shape wouldn’t be my first choice for a 2300kv motor but it should make enough power, it could be less efficient at higher RPM, I haven’t flown one that size or KV so it’s hard to say if that is directly the issue. Try less throttle next time, see what happens.