Dumas 36" Ercoupe

Seahunter

I recently completed this Dumas kit. I haven't flown it yet, but will take it out soon. Hate to mess it up.
G0150180 - Copy.JPG
P4150220 - Copy.JPG
The build went well, but the soft light balsa that came in the kit is really not strong enough for RC configuration. If I were to build it again, I would replace all the parts with harder balsa and upgrade the stringers to 3/32" in harder stock. I was breaking stringers trying to put the covering on. The savings in weight aren't worth it. I had to double all the main formers as they were way too soft to use the microlite covering. I used A Dynam Brushless Motor Combo with an 18A ESC and 9G servos in it. I'm using a7/4 prop, test run and taxi shows plenty of thrust. I made the canopy removable to get to the battery tray, Velcro not installed yet in this photo. Left the center of the canopy open for good air flow.
P4150222.JPG
The Ercoupe did not have rudders nor does the kit, but I wanted rudder control on it so I put in a push rod from the rudder servo to a bell crank on the tail to actuate the twin rudders. Since we have a paved runway at our club field, I installed steerable nose gear from the rudder servo. The CG came in dead on and I think it will fly fine barring mistakes by me.

TooJung2Die

Master member
Nice looking airplane. Thank you for the rudder bell crank detail. I have a free flight old timer kit with the same dual vertical stabilizer layout. I've been looking for ways to make dual rudders. Good luck with the first flights.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Very nice! Those are great little airplanes, both in real life and I hear in this model form. The Dumas kit is designed by Pat Tritle, who is AWESOME at designing balsa airplanes.

ThatsALotOfPlanes

That bellcrank is genius! May just have to steal that idea for my next Sea Duck build :p

I currently have a Dumas project on the work table as well, except its in limbo. Great little kits for a new comer to balsa like me.

Good luck with the maiden!

Seahunter

That bellcrank is genius! May just have to steal that idea for my next Sea Duck build :p

I currently have a Dumas project on the work table as well, except its in limbo. Great little kits for a new comer to balsa like me.

Good luck with the maiden!
If your next sea duck build will have large rudders, I would recommend turning the control horn angle closer to the same angle as the rudders. mine is almost at 90 degrees due to the size limitations, but works well due to the light loading and push pull configuration.