Durafly Tundra 1300mm Sports Model w/Flaps - User Review

kacknor

Build another!
About 74 hours from order to my living room. ;)
20160129_112518.jpg

JD (Psyched)

Attachments

• 20160129_112518.jpg
    20160129_112518.jpg
    898.5 KB · Views: 3
Truly a beautiful plane. Love the shock-absorbing landing gear, and the way that the wing servos plug into the fuselage is impressive! I wonder how well it would hold up, though...

Nice review, Andre!

aeroncalover

It shouldn't do that....
If I'm not mistaken this is a model of a Highlander, HK simply slapped their own name on it. If you're looking to get one cheaper than HK offers it, you can scratch build a highlander. There are free plans on RCG by a guy named scottswanson. The plans and build guide are superb, and it is a great flyer. The wings fold as well, so it takes up very little room. I would also suggest looking into the FT bushwhacker, as it is also loosely based on the highlander. I imagine all three planes fly similarly, but I can only speak for my Highlander since it is the only one of the three I have flow.

(BTW, the Highlander can be built in very little time. Mine took 4 weeks from printing plans to flying and I was taking my sweet time)

bstanley72

If I'm not mistaken this is a model of a Highlander, HK simply slapped their own name on it. If you're looking to get one cheaper than HK offers it, you can scratch build a highlander. There are free plans on RCG by a guy named scottswanson. The plans and build guide are superb, and it is a great flyer. The wings fold as well, so it takes up very little room. I would also suggest looking into the FT bushwhacker, as it is also loosely based on the highlander. I imagine all three planes fly similarly, but I can only speak for my Highlander since it is the only one of the three I have flow.

(BTW, the Highlander can be built in very little time. Mine took 4 weeks from printing plans to flying and I was taking my sweet time)

I looked this up as I was curious. Here is the link:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1917395

The plans are for a balsa build. I've been looking for foam build plans of a high wing sport plane. I've found a good one of a Beaver, but do like the look of the Tundra, so wouldn't mind finding that as well.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Some nasty flying weather.

I'm looking forward to trying the plane in FPV mode.

IMG_7899.jpg

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Almost done with FPV setup.

I did add a strap to secure the wires and the VTX but may do something additional to secure the base to the plane.
IMG_7931.jpg IMG_7932.jpg

kacknor

Build another!
A quick update on my Tundra. A good fly day, lots of room, only 10 to 15 mph wind and I got two flights in. Wow. Nice and and a repeat of the good things from everyone else. Was doing half and full flap take offs and it just jumps. First airplane I ever used flaps as true part of the flight controls and not just a landing accessory. Was flying with Turnigy 2200 3s 25c packs. No problems., 5 or 6 minute flight times before low battery warning. I still had two 1800 packs charged and used 1 and a half of them also wit similar results. Unfortunately on flight 4 it stalled low, nosed from 4 feet and tore three of four top wing mount screw through the plastic wing mounts. REALLY looking hard at a way to pin these things on. Wing mounts are a $50 new fuse.

She flew so well though. I have to do something. Wing mounts are obviously the weak point. But it only takes a look during assembly to know that. Hate being the one to first prove it. :(

JD

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
A quick update on my Tundra. A good fly day, lots of room, only 10 to 15 mph wind and I got two flights in. Wow. Nice and and a repeat of the good things from everyone else. Was doing half and full flap take offs and it just jumps. First airplane I ever used flaps as true part of the flight controls and not just a landing accessory. Was flying with Turnigy 2200 3s 25c packs. No problems., 5 or 6 minute flight times before low battery warning. I still had two 1800 packs charged and used 1 and a half of them also wit similar results. Unfortunately on flight 4 it stalled low, nosed from 4 feet and tore three of four top wing mount screw through the plastic wing mounts. REALLY looking hard at a way to pin these things on. Wing mounts are a $50 new fuse.

She flew so well though. I have to do something. Wing mounts are obviously the weak point. But it only takes a look during assembly to know that. Hate being the one to first prove it. :(

JD

Yeah I'm not taking mine apart unless required.

kacknor

Build another!
Yeah I'm not taking mine apart unless required.

Sad part is I don't really have to. It fits in the back off my car!

20160206_125650.jpg

But now I think I'll have to design, find, try something. Nose didn't even get bent, but the screws pulled through the mount.

20160210_122331.jpg

It's been sitting for a few days now, and I think I have an idea or two. Goal is quick release pins for snap together ease... I'll actually be very happy with nuts and bolts.

JD

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Somewhere I think they recommended tape to help keep it secure but yeah bolt in system would be awesome.

Wes

servo setup

I'm using a spectrum 6 channel receiver with a JR 9303 radio, I plugged the flaps into the aux port but only one flap works. any suggestions?

kacknor

Build another!
Somewhere I think they recommended tape to help keep it secure but yeah bolt in system would be awesome.

Very late getting back on this, but yeah, Tape. I thought about the fix, I even bought a few bits to start it, then I had a good day to fly and I used epoxy to patch the hoes and just taped the wing on. Oh Well.

Beautiful day here. Going out soon, bought one of these ModelAero Polaris at Weak Signals and it's files good too, but not as fun as the Tundra. ;)

JD