Durafly Tundra 1300mm Sports Model w/Flaps - User Review

slyke

The new Timber bush plane is big: Wingspan id 61.0 in (1555mm) versus 1300mm for Tundra!
-Stephen

kacknor

Build another!
I also got the email today. A few days late, or I'd have had a choice to make! My new replacement Tundra will be here Monday.

I do feel the pull to try the Timber. I like the bigger size, and Horizon has good experience with removable wings. I like the look of the Tundra wheels more, but I prefer landing gear design of the Timber, not to mention real water rudders. Next time maybe.

Let us know how it works and compare it for us Andre!

JD

I also got the email today. A few days late, or I'd have had a choice to make! My new replacement Tundra will be here Monday.

I do feel the pull to try the Timber. I like the bigger size, and Horizon has good experience with removable wings. I like the look of the Tundra wheels more, but I prefer landing gear design of the Timber, not to mention real water rudders. Next time maybe.

Let us know how it works and compare it for us Andre!

JD

Your new replacement Tundra?!? What happened to the first one?

kacknor

Build another!
Was doing touch & goes, 10 to 15 mph winds, got bored and took a circuit about the field inverted. About halfway thru the second circle the wind blew it back over my head. Then I did my part and it ended up WOT pancaking into the grass. Tore both wings and the LG plate (including wing struts) right off. If I had had 3 more feet...

20160425_124452_A.jpg

Then I killed it. ;(

For whatever reason I suffered a brain fart and grabbed Welders to glue the plate and wing mount bits back on. Foam cancer did the rest. Just dayum.

Hey! Lookit all the parts I have! Wonder what an FT Spitfire frame would fly like with a 36-36 900KV motor on it? ;)

JD

Last edited:
Was doing touch & goes, 10 to 15 mph winds, got bored and took a circuit about the field inverted. About halfway thru the second circle the wind blew it back over my head. Then I did my part and it ended up WOT pancaking into the grass. Tore both wings and the LG plate (including wing struts) right off. If I had had 3 more feet...

Then I killed it. ;(

For whatever reason I suffered a brain fart and grabbed Welders to glue the plate and wing mount bits back on. Foam cancer did the rest. Just dayum.

Hey! Lookit all the parts I have! Wonder what an FT Spitfire fram would fly like with a 36-36 900KV motor on it? ;)

JD

Oh my gosh!!! What happened to the landing gear and the hatch?!?

You really did push the "no limits flying" slogan on that one! ;)

kacknor

Build another!
If I'm flying, I must have stole it. ;)

I have all the parts. Was going to post the other pictures but SWMBO came home and was wanting to talk about trivial things like a new house we are looking for...

Here are the rest. As bad as the crash was, other than foam the only broken bit was the support inside the LG plate for the trailing gear supports. I had already broken one before the crash. I had them repaired with epoxy putty and 15 minute clear two part and was assembling the plane when I screwed up with the glue. I cut out the bad in order to limit the damage, but the hole is just too big outside of major reconstruction and a new landing gear mount. As I said, spare parts. It a big motor. I gotta build something.

20160425_123914_A.jpg 20160425_124524_A.jpg 20160425_123850_A.jpg 20160429_120811.jpg 20160429_120817.jpg

Maybe I should try to remember that this is real money and not just DTFB... Naw.

JD

kacknor

Build another!
But what if you could fold the wings??

Heh, I've done that. ;)

OH! you mean for transport? :rolleyes: That would be nice. I don't mind assembly. I don't like fiddly.

I'm learning to fly a Radian Pro. It has two screws and four connectors for the wings, plus I needed forceps to stuff the wires as the wing slid on. Ugh. I added 4 wire connectors and ran two servos though each. One connector per wing now, and they tuck away easy.

JD

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
So much fun

My go to plane this past weekend.

Specially when the winds picked up.

13147562_10156867550350416_7102452833825345682_o.jpg IMG_9470.JPG IMG_9478.JPG

kacknor

Build another!
My go to plane this past weekend.

Specially when the winds picked up.

Nice sticks! There have been a few breezy days here also, and I miss mine. It's my goto for windy days also.

This is the view from my chair as I type. New plane arrived, unboxed and waiting to assemble. Trivial things like work, power washing the deck and other life commitments are preventing it's assembly. :(

20160511_193610.jpg

I have been noticing a strange phenomena around the (Former) Tundra. If there an afterlife for dead airplanes?

JD

aeroncalover

It shouldn't do that....
Heh, I've done that. ;)

OH! you mean for transport? :rolleyes: That would be nice. I don't mind assembly. I don't like fiddly.

I'm learning to fly a Radian Pro. It has two screws and four connectors for the wings, plus I needed forceps to stuff the wires as the wing slid on. Ugh. I added 4 wire connectors and ran two servos though each. One connector per wing now, and they tuck away easy.

JD

https://youtu.be/hpk4VXVqi8I check out the end of this video. Just two pins to pull.