Durafly Tundra 1300mm Sports Model w/Flaps - User Review

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
0529-2016-Tundra Togther.jpg 0529-2016-Tundra Togther2.jpg 13260083_10156955994215416_7123352215055565484_n.jpg 13263819_10156955991435416_2285491636618644700_n.jpg 13319727_10156960610260416_6293467585164078862_n.jpg 13322003_10156956207590416_7533609427012922069_n.jpg Screen Shot 2016-05-29 at 7.34.47 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-05-29 at 7.52.39 PM.png

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Tundra or Timber? Uff that's a tough question that bears a side by side comparison. I was thinking that either one would mean removable wings but after a quick trip to the car with the tape I see a very suspicious dimension that suggests commercial espionage by HK. I mean, really, 1300mm is just about the width of my back seat from door to door with the back seats folded down (Kia Spectra5). So that should make the decision easier right?.. not so fast, my Zephyr is 1533mm and if I turn it sideways just right, scoot the seats forward, prop it up, and it goes right in without a problem (not exactly). So the Timber at 33mm less wingspan is still a doable option.

Difficult it may be to decide but if our biggest complaint is which is best among a selection of quality birds, would we really want it any other way?

I would like 3 or more pilots to fly these and any other contender "Cubs" or bush aircraft and then state their biggest pros and cons of each (flyability, portability, versatality, quality of construction, looks, support, price, value, etc). Perhaps what we need are sticky threads comparing rc air products with grading criteria and scoring so potential buyers have a starting point in making their decisions.

brewtechie205

Hi Andre,
I cut my teeth on a AXN floater jet last year and have been playing with Flite Test's Swappable Series this past winter & spring. I am also starting to rack up some hours on a flight simulator.

I'm looking to join my local RC club and they would like me to have a high-wing trainer. Do you think this would work for me given I have had some basic experience with 3 & 4 channels models. I don't want something to basic as I fear I will outgrow it quickly.

Thanks for any advice you or anyone else on this thread can offer.
Love your review and videos! Even if this isn't the right plane for me now - I see it in my future.
-Michael

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Hi Andre,
I cut my teeth on a AXN floater jet last year and have been playing with Flite Test's Swappable Series this past winter & spring. I am also starting to rack up some hours on a flight simulator.

I'm looking to join my local RC club and they would like me to have a high-wing trainer. Do you think this would work for me given I have had some basic experience with 3 & 4 channels models. I don't want something to basic as I fear I will outgrow it quickly.

Thanks for any advice you or anyone else on this thread can offer.
Love your review and videos! Even if this isn't the right plane for me now - I see it in my future.
-Michael

Interesting question since there are a few new options available since the Tundra released.
And yes it is still a stunning plane but I caution people by saying this is a good 3rd or 4th plane.
Why do I say that?

With a good solid background/experience you will have the skills needed to recover the plane when you do start pushing the envelope. That said if you take it easy in the beginning the Tundra can deliver.

So if you have someone to assist you I dont see why you would not be successful with it.

If you have the gear handy you could always try the Storch or a Bushwhacker as well.
Both would give you a good feel for a high wing plane.

It is less about denying an experience and more about ensuring your success. If that makes sense.

Hope that helps.

Andre.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Yah, considering the Tundra has been out of stock for a long while in all the warehouses, your quickest route to flying something similar would be to build one (Storch or Bushwhacker as André mentioned are good options) or buying something similar if you don't want to build it.