duster turns left

ringo42

My ft duster and the baby blender both have the same problem, they turn left hard on the ground when taking off. In the air they fly fine. How do I fix it? I've heard about putting in right thrust but wouldn't that affect the flight too, not just ground handling? I'm taking off from grass if that matters. The left is sever enough it makes taking off very difficult. Hand launching works fine but I'd rather use the gear. Any thoughts?

MrClean

Right Rudder or Right thrust. Torque is turning you to the left at low speed. At higher speed the vertical has more effect in keeping the airplane straight and the force from the offset thrust is less noticeable. Same thing happens with full size aircraft.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Ringo,

Sounds like you're fighting torque roll, and wind over the wings usually helps calm that in flight -- problem is on roll out, you're almost never at full speed.

Yes a touch of right thrust will help, and again, a little airspeed over the wings will make it all seem like it's gone once you're at a cruise speed..

Another thing you want to aviod is climbing too soon or too rapidly. I'm not suggesting holding full down elevator on the ground until you're almost out of runway, but do try to let it rise slowly and pick up speed before you climb to the heavens. If you pull back too hard and/or let it loose airspeed on climbout, there's too good of a chance it will stall -- then it will roll hard with the torque at full throttle.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

StrutMonkey

*in my best flight instructor voice* MOAR RIGHT RUDDER!!!

you are taking off of the ground in a high AOA low speed high torque situation. the biggest problem i see with electric pilots is that they do not understand smooth power input. learn to spread your power input on take off to around 3-5 seconds, and learn to slowly add right rudder as you increase power. do a couple of high speed taxies with your tail off the ground and practice going in a straight line. once you learn that. then you will have broken yourself of the habit if keeping your throttle stick centered while adding power. your lift stick should alway be moving to the right on takeoff. how much depends on your aircraft. i personally do not build in thrust angles because i do not like the way they act at speed. but it is an option.

lonewolf7717

If the problem continues to hector you may I suggest setting up a Take off rates switch on your TX. Granted it is better to learn your way around the rudder but also don't see a problem with guys that opt for a rudder/throttle mix. Just remember to flip that switch once airborne.

TomCub

Just finished (or almost, are you ever finished??), the FT-Duster. Haven't had the chance to maiden yet, but did put a little down and right thrust in the motor in the motor mount, among other things!!

I've tried to upload some pics of my mods, with no luck, or good luck. Is there a trick I don't know about?

NewZee

Just finished (or almost, are you ever finished??), the FT-Duster. Haven't had the chance to maiden yet, but did put a little down and right thrust in the motor in the motor mount, among other things!!

I've tried to upload some pics of my mods, with no luck, or good luck. Is there a trick I don't know about?

to add photos to your post just click on the icon in the toolbar that looks like a picture of a tree? (it's next to the filmstrip icon) it will say "insert image" when you hover over it.
when you click it it will ask from computer or URL click on from compluter and then select files box to pick the pictures you want, then double click on the image and hit upload you will see an "ATTACH" script in your post and when you preview the post or submit the post the picture should be there?

here is a pic of my spit that I used to illustrate how i did it!
spit 2.JPG

TomCub

My first scratch build

Got it...my pics were too big.
Here you can see (if you look close), you can see the thrust angle of the motor.
IMG_0268.JPG IMG_0267.JPG
My finished (or almost finished) product.
My first scratch build. Thought it turned out pretty good.
IMG_0265 (598x800).jpg

Prop Pitch also a Torque Roll Factor?

Folks, speaking of torque roll, how much does propeller pitch play into torque roll? I know propeller diameter is a factor, with bigger propellers causing more torque, but does a stronger pitch also increase torque? Specifically, would going from a 8X4 to an 8X6 propeller dramatically increase torque roll?

I, too, am having the same problem with my Swappables. I hope to correct this issue with a little right offset on the motor mount but am wondering if my propeller pitch might also be aggravating the problem.

Your thoughts?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor

hadn't observed any trend before, but hadn't been looking either. It's just an annoyance with some airplanes you learn to deal with.

Since it's a torque effect, I would think it would be effected by how much bight the prop has on the air. The power relationship for props is proportional to D²xP, so increasing only the pitch would increase the tendancy a little, but increasing only the diameter would increase the tendancy a lot.

hadn't observed any trend before, but hadn't been looking either. It's just an annoyance with some airplanes you learn to deal with.

Since it's a torque effect, I would think it would be effected by how much bight the prop has on the air. The power relationship for props is proportional to D²xP, so increasing only the pitch would increase the tendancy a little, but increasing only the diameter would increase the tendancy a lot.

Craftydan -

Thank you. That is what I figured but I also wanted to double check my assumption.