Dusty & Ripslinger

Blenderite

Professional Crash Pilot
I wonder why when I ordered mine it didn't come with a cable? Weird. May have changed things after enough people complained.
Still waiting on mine :/

N222NY

Oh sorry I shouldve specified. I got mine on ebay from a private party not hobbyking direct...so this person happened to also have to cord.

tramsgar

Cut the wing to fit the battery eh? Good idea....how did you get in there post gluing, or did you do this before you installed the wing? Perhaps a hacksaw blade could reach inside?

I reached in with a long sharp knife after the wing was attached. Cut out a hole reaching close to the hole where the servo leads exit the wing. Had I knows there would be CG issues I'd done it before attaching the wing, of course =). Now, I think I'll build a modded powerpod instead to experiment with battery placement. A 2200 4S shouldn't really be stuck on the underside like a 1000 3S on an FT Flyer... If I find a satisfying design, I'll come back here and show it.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Why couldn't you invert the pod so you don't have to cut the wing? Secure the ESC and Rx inside and add velcro and a strap for the battery to be secure...

N222NY

Hey everyone. Just wanted to shoot a quick update. I maidened the FT Racer(2nd one built) today. The first one I built was just way squirley and never seemed to balance out right, plus I was using a non-programmable radio. After several attempts it just got too bent, so I rebuilt, and ordered a Hobby King 6CH Radio. This time I was more precise with the cuts and applied the minwax treatment. WOW what a difference! It's been cold rainy and windy in Ohio, but the sun came out this afternoon and I couldn't take it anymore! The first flight was good...but a little scary on takeoff. Wobbly, but once up to speed, manageable. Still kind of touchy. I noticed you can't program expo with the Hobby King radio, so I figured I'd try dialing down the endpoints to 85 or 90%. The second flight went GREAT! MUCH better. Now I think its just a matter of fine tuning. Had kind of a hard landing and bent the bbq skewers in the nose, but nothing a few spots of hotglue wont fix. It was a bit more windy and I probably should've waited to fly, but it was staring at me all day with those puppyprop eyes saying FLY ME!

Anyway after the landing, I noticed a gentleman in a pickup truck watching me fly. As I walked back to the car he approached and asked what I had. We had a great conversation about RC! He talked about how he was a RC flyer "back in the day" and had stories of how expensive things were then! Of course when I told him how inexpensive the FT Racer and components are, he seemed really interested and renewed. I gave him the Flitetest website and he wrote it down, so hopefully a new member is born.

It felt really good to get out and fly and be an advocate for our great hobby today. I can't wait to build Dusty with the kids! Thanks to everybody at Flitetest, and on the forums for all that you do! I'll post some pictures once I get her painted up. Now...where's that glue gun?

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
It is a great feeling when you get something you made into the air. It's also great when you can help give someone else that feeling! It's an ideal day when you can do both! No better feeling!

N222NY

R3.png I actually flew her to a sucessful landing today! Felt good to drive home and not need to make repairs! The take off is still wobbly...its not yawing left due to torque...its just really roll crazy for like the first 3 seconds! Maybe less throttle to start? Anyway...here's coat one of paint

tramsgar

Why couldn't you invert the pod so you don't have to cut the wing? Secure the ESC and Rx inside and add velcro and a strap for the battery to be secure...

You mean put it in upside down? Sure I could build a new one like that, but I wanted to get out and fly =). The snug fit actually saved me from an accident as I was so stressed and sloppy that I forgot the skewer to hold the pod in - luckily the battery did that.

tramsgar

Congrats on your successful maiden!

I noticed you can't program expo with the Hobby King radio, so I figured I'd try dialing down the endpoints to 85 or 90%. The second flight went GREAT! MUCH better. Now I think its just a matter of fine tuning.

What evil radio may that be that doesn't have expo??

Anyway after the landing, I noticed a gentleman in a pickup truck watching me fly. As I walked back to the car he approached and asked what I had. We had a great conversation about RC! He talked about how he was a RC flyer "back in the day" and had stories of how expensive things were then!

Oh there are plenty of those, I like them, and will probably turn into one =).

N222NY

THANKS! The radio I bought and am using now is the Hobby King T6A-V2. I looked but I dont remember seeing a way to program expo and I read this:

http://www.flitetest.com/articles/programming-the-hk-6ch-2-4ghz-v2-tx

Did I miss expo somewhere? If so GOD please let me know, lol.

Dialing down the endpoints seems to be keeping it under control till I get use to how sensitive it is and how little deflection it really needs. Expo would be NICE.

Oh also...I installed a secondary bbq skewer in the nose today...underneath the base of the pod, basically along the bottom plate of the plywood firewall. It really seems to help take some stress off the top skewers. I added cut out credit card plastic squares on the outside to prevent tearing.

Hell2Go

I use a monokote iron and squish the inside around the skewer holes a little,( about a 1/16 inch deep). the iron melts the foam a little and it hardens up and makes it much more durable, just don't squish it anymore than that or it will get weaker. I round over all the edges of the plane, and even the bottom corners of the pod, it really makes the airframes more rigid. I round the edges of the pod and pod tabs and the edges of the holes on the plane where the tabs go, it makes them last longer, especially if you swap pods often.

Hell2Go

Oh, yea! I almost forgot, I do the minwax treatment, but I use RED DEVIL Poly, as it is clearer, and it penetrates the glue between the paper and foam and helps the paper stick better, this also improves rigidity to make a strong plane that can last for years.

N222NY

"You know...I always thought that dogs, uh, laid eggs. And today, I learned something. " P. Griffin

I also learned that a dark green and black plane, when flown in the late afternoon with a grey sky....makes it(insert D. Windestall high pitch voice here) VEEEERYY difficult to track and keep orentation!!! It may be time for a little paint scheme modification and add a few white D-Day stripes on the wings! She flew great today! Two coats of paint seem to have pleased her and the rolling takeoff has calmed. In reality, maybe I just had the battery off centered? I dunno, either way I'm having a blast! Final paint job this weekend!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Nice job! Glad to hear it's finally coming together for you.
My first .40 size trainer was an ARF with a camo scheme all over. Bad idea! First flight was about 25 seconds due to me looking at the radio for a brief second and lost orientation immediately. Drove it into the ground vertically at almost full throttle and completely re-kitted it. I think the only part that survived was the tail and a short section of fuse just in front of it. The wing basically exploded! It was a long time before I went with a camo scheme again...

.XxBensterxX.

Intermediate Hobbyist
Are these 4 channel planes? If they are (I think they are) At least its a speed build kit...

" With speed builds or kits, you built it once and you can build it again. "

NewZee

Oh, yea! I almost forgot, I do the minwax treatment, but I use RED DEVIL Poly, as it is clearer, and it penetrates the glue between the paper and foam and helps the paper stick better, this also improves rigidity to make a strong plane that can last for years.

your planes look great! (I'm in Lancaster , NY), N222NY glad you flew!

N222NY

s1.jpg s2.jpg s3.jpg

Well here she is all done. I got the battery far back enough to get balance right and get the spinner on. She flies like she's on rails...im still too chicken to go full throttle...its SO fast! As I brought her in for a landing today, I noticed an older gentleman pulling up in his car(just like the last time I flew). He came over and asked what I had. After he checked it out, he went to his car and came out with his discus launched glider! It was AWESOME! We had a great chat about RC, I got out my ultra micro spitfire and we flew together. He mentioned that he was at the indoor electric festival in Columbus this weekend and it was a great time. Of course I mentioned FliteTest. Hopefully he'll check it out!

His technique was amazing he hand launched this thing and it was easily going 150 feet straight up! He even gave me a shot at the sticks once he got it launched! Really really cool!

Well, thats 2 times out flying, and others into RC showed up....truly a great feeling to share this with others!

Shawn

N222NY

Got a quick little flight in today. It was cold and windy but sunny! Not my best landing...but I was cold lol. Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcogL9Ix2qw

I was out flying yesterday and ANOTHER gentleman came over and asked me what I had. We once again had a great chat and exchanged numbers. I spoke to him later in the day and he told me of his troubles with a few of his planes he was working on and asked if I would help. I said I would love to try anyway! If this keeps up, I may have to start a flying club at the soccer field! The fellowship continues!

Shawn

Last edited: