Dusty & Ripslinger

nat8

Hello guys and girls. I am just getting into RC planes. A buddy that got me into this ordered us a couple kits, dusty and rip. I hope there great planes. Just hopping to get a little info from people who have them on how they would be for a new rc pilot. And also would like to thank the guys of flite test for taking there time and making these very cool planes.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Not the best planes for a brand new pilot. What is your flying experience so far? What have you flown?

nat8

A hopped up bixler2 and a couple super cubs. I won't lie at all I have about 20 mins total fly time.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Well, I would definitely start with Dusty then and find some tall grass to cushion the impact!
Set up the throws to recommended and set up dual rates to 50% and set expo sorta high so it's pretty forgiving around center...
Get up in the air and take it a few mistakes high before trimming it straight and level...
How much of this am I telling you what you already know?

nat8

Thanks guys for the help. I do understand what you are saying about the getting three crashes high and the trimming it out. I appreciate that you guys are willing to help me out with this stuff thank you.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Thanks guys for the help. I do understand what you are saying about the getting three crashes high and the trimming it out. I appreciate that you guys are willing to help me out with this stuff thank you.
Since you've flown I figured you might already know most of that, but it can't hurt to reiterate since you are very low time! :)

I would try to have someone with more experience to check over the plane before you fly it to make sure it's ready to go and balanced correctly with the controls moving in the proper directions. If an experienced pilot is unavailable, go over the plane very carefully and triple check directions and radio programming, then do a glide test for checking the CG is correct.

Just let us know if you need anything else answered and I'm sorry if I'm just telling you stuff you already know. Just trying to hit the things that are common mistakes that are easy to avoid...

nat8

I am like all the info that I am getting thank you very much. My buddy that got me into this is very good he will make sure we do very thing right. I am all ears for any advise I can get.

N222NY

Hi everyone. Im looking for some input on my FT Racer build. Ordered the speed build kit, and built according to the great online video with Josh and David. St her up, balanced and flew. It's really REALLY sensitive. I think it's the throws and the fact that I'm using a Lanyu radio that isn't programable. I noticed that is recommended to go 30% expo. I ordered the Hobby King T6A 6Ch programmable radio and am awaiting its arrival. So my questions are....has anyone had similar issues with the FT racer being super sensitive? What settings have you found fly best? Hopefully the new radio with proper programming will calm her down a bit. When it does fly, it's beautiful and tracks nice! Thanks in advance for input everyone!

drezed

Hi everyone. Im looking for some input on my FT Racer build. Ordered the speed build kit, and built according to the great online video with Josh and David. St her up, balanced and flew. It's really REALLY sensitive. I think it's the throws and the fact that I'm using a Lanyu radio that isn't programable. I noticed that is recommended to go 30% expo. I ordered the Hobby King T6A 6Ch programmable radio and am awaiting its arrival. So my questions are....has anyone had similar issues with the FT racer being super sensitive? What settings have you found fly best? Hopefully the new radio with proper programming will calm her down a bit. When it does fly, it's beautiful and tracks nice! Thanks in advance for input everyone!
If your plane is sensitive in the pitch axis, try making it a bit more nose heavy(not an extreme amount, or you might not have enough authority at slow speeds). You can also try moving the control rods to a hole further from the control surface, on the control horns,

Jeff

Last edited:

tramsgar

I tried flying without expo as a beginner. Wow, what a foam killer that was... I'd blame the lack of expo before the throws. Otoh, if you don't have expo available you could dial down the throws to compensate, of course at the expense of manoeuvrability.

The racer is maybe not too easy for a beginner, but it could sure take a few crashes. The sturdiest plane I've built.

richb2599

Racer hand launch !

I tried flying without expo as a beginner. Wow, what a foam killer that was... I'd blame the lack of expo before the throws. Otoh, if you don't have expo available you could dial down the throws to compensate, of course at the expense of manoeuvrability.

The racer is maybe not too easy for a beginner, but it could sure take a few crashes. The sturdiest plane I've built.

Maidened my Racer today. It definattely can be touchy. Once in the air and up to speed she flew great Trimmed out nicely. But the hard part was the hand launch. Tried it at full throttle and 60 percent. Every launch was a frightening experience. I think it wants to roll left and recovery is difficult. The Racer survived and I did enjoy several flights once she was moving at speed.

Have others had the same issue with launches? Suggestions?

I have the spitfire and don't experience the problem with it.

Throws set to recommended
Dual rates and expo
NTM 2826 propdrive. 1200kv
Turnigy Plus 25A
2200 kv 3s
APC 8x4 (seemed a little slow)
APC 8x6 (a little faster)

Thought I might try the Beef.

Flat4

Maidened my Racer today. It definattely can be touchy. Once in the air and up to speed she flew great Trimmed out nicely. But the hard part was the hand launch. Tried it at full throttle and 60 percent. Every launch was a frightening experience. I think it wants to roll left and recovery is difficult. The Racer survived and I did enjoy several flights once she was moving at speed.

Have others had the same issue with launches? Suggestions?

I have the spitfire and don't experience the problem with it.

Throws set to recommended
Dual rates and expo
NTM 2826 propdrive. 1200kv
Turnigy Plus 25A
2200 kv 3s
APC 8x4 (seemed a little slow)
APC 8x6 (a little faster)

Thought I might try the Beef.

I haven't tried the racer yet so I can't comment on my reaction to it, but from what your describing it seems like your experiencing torque steer on your launches. I don't think there is a whole lot you can do to combat that outside of adjusting your thrust angle, and even that won't rid it completely. Almost all my planes torque steer in some degree or another, generally the more powerful motors will torque steer worse than smaller ones, but this all depends on the size of the air frame the motor is pulling.

I just make sure I'm quick to toss a bit of right aileron in on launches. Also helps to give a nice upward angle on launch, with planes that have enough grunt to handle it, gives ya a bit more reaction time before you nose down.

As far as upgrading to "the beef", I'm under the impression the motor that comes with that kit isn't a whole lot more powerful than your current NTM motor. Not to mention if it was more powerful, and torque steer is in fact what your experiencing, it will only make your launches more difficult.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge than myself will chime in with more helpful information, but I hope this helps!

N222NY

Hi everybody,

So I'm building the FT Racer and I bought this prop spinner for it. When I install it she comes out wicked nose heavy and I cant get the battery any farther back, as it bumps into the wing. I SEEK INPUT!!! Thanks yall...

Shawn spinner2.png

Last edited:

tramsgar

Hi everybody,

So I'm building the FT Racer and I bought this prop spinner for it. When I install it she comes out wicked nose heavy and I cant get the battery any farther back, as it bumps into the wing. I SEEK INPUT!!! Thanks yall...

Shawn View attachment 14254

I had to cut out part of the wing where the halves join on the inside to get a large battery enough far back. My opinion now is that the "standard" FT power pod has outlived its design by now that the models they put out require larger batteries. I'd rather have a pod with lower profile to fit the battery well on the outside or a higher pod to be able to fit it on the inside (with cooling holes). You could of course do that mod yourself and just keep the width and length for it to be compatible.

Blenderite

Professional Crash Pilot

FYI, the radio you ordered can only be programmed via a PC. And you have to have the specific programming cable from Hobby King.

I am waiting for my programming cable to arrive. I tried another brands cable and it didn't work.

N222NY

Hey there,

Thank you for the heads up. The radio I bought did come with the cable included. I have been programming it this week and hopefully...if it ever stops raining, snowing, being windy, and freezing here in Ohio, I'll be testing her out soon!

Shawn

N222NY

Cut the wing to fit the battery eh? Good idea....how did you get in there post gluing, or did you do this before you installed the wing? Perhaps a hacksaw blade could reach inside?