DX4e Elevon Mixing Problem

Vampircorn

I just built the FT Mighty Mini F-22 tonight, and I have encountered a problem with the elevons and my DX4e transmitter. When I flip the mix switch the elevons work, but the stick's controls are swapped. What I mean by this is that (in Mode 2) moving the right stick up/down controls the roll, while moving the right stick to the left/right controls the pitch. I've tried plugging the servos into every channel on my receiver, I've tried using a y-harness, and I've tried every other switch on the transmitter to no avail. Is this possible to fix with the DX4e or do I need a more advanced transmitter? I really can't justify shelling out the money for a better transmitter right now when the DX4e works great for all my other planes.

ofiesens2

Professional noob
Y harness won't work, just ditch that.

The problem is just in the reversing. Once you have the Mix switch turned on, just play around with the elevator and aileron reversing switches until it works. There's only 4 possible combinations, so it shouldn't be too difficult. Worst case scenario, none of them work, and Only then try switching the servo leads on the receiver. Good luck!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Y harness won't work, just ditch that.

The problem is just in the reversing. Once you have the Mix switch turned on, just play around with the elevator and aileron reversing switches until it works. There's only 4 possible combinations, so it shouldn't be too difficult. Worst case scenario, none of them work, and Only then try switching the servo leads on the receiver. Good luck!
Exactly.

Try not to think of what they're doing together for now but what each is doing for each of the 4 points (pitch up/down & roll left/right). When you think of it this way you'll notice which surface(s) is(are) moving in the wrong direction.

For example, pull back on the stick. You said they roll, but really one elevon pitched up and the other pitched wrong. This should help you figure which channel needs to be reversed.

If you need more help, write back with what each surface does with pitch up/down & roll left/right.

Vampircorn

With the mix switch turned on, the reversing switches don't do anything to help me. When I pull back on the stick one elevon goes up and the other goes down. No matter what reversing switches are on or off, one will always be up and the other will always be down. I have swapped the servo leads and I can't seem to get it to work at all.

Vampircorn

If you need more help, write back with what each surface does with pitch up/down & roll left/right.

Left/right are relative the the cockpit

Pulling back on the stick, my left elevon goes down, and my right goes up. Pushing up gives the reverse of this. Rolling left makes both elevons go down, and rolling right brings both elevons up.

The reverse switches are not doing anything to help. I've tried every combination and can't seem to get it working right.

quorneng

Master member
From the description of what is happening ('pitch' on the Tx is giving roll on the plane and roll on the Tx is giving pitch) you just need to swap over the servos on the receiver. This will change over the effect the transmitter stick has.
You may then need to use the reverse switches to get the surfaces to move in the correct sense.

Vampircorn

From the description of what is happening ('pitch' on the Tx is giving roll on the plane and roll on the Tx is giving pitch) you just need to swap over the servos on the receiver. This will change over the effect the transmitter stick has.
You may then need to use the reverse switches to get the surfaces to move in the correct sense.

I have swapped the servos and turned the reverse switches on and off repeatedly and have had no luck. Nothing changes. :(

elw773

Unusual. I am using my Dx4e with the mix my f-22 and it works fine. Perhaps take out the gimbal and turn it 90 degrees?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
With the mixing switched off and a Y harness fitted in the aileron channel the ailerons should function properly ie as ailerons, (one up and one down when the stick is moved from side to side.

Remove y Harness and connect one servo into the elevator output from the Rx and it should do the elevator movement, (again no mixing).

If ok so far connect the other servo into the Aileron output of the Rx and check its movement again.

Now flip the mixing switch and then try elevator function only to see if both servos travel in the same direction, (reverse in Tx if wrong direction). And then move only the aileron control and see if the servo arms move in opposite directions, (again reverse in Tx in not in correct directions).

If still not working properly try swapping the two servo connections on the Rx.

The most common problem I have encountered is that one servo was mounted reverse of the way it was supposed to be and then nothing would allow the mixing to function properly.

Just a few things to try and check!

Vampircorn

With the mixing switched off and a Y harness fitted in the aileron channel the ailerons should function properly ie as ailerons, (one up and one down when the stick is moved from side to side.

Remove y Harness and connect one servo into the elevator output from the Rx and it should do the elevator movement, (again no mixing).

If ok so far connect the other servo into the Aileron output of the Rx and check its movement again.

Now flip the mixing switch and then try elevator function only to see if both servos travel in the same direction, (reverse in Tx if wrong direction). And then move only the aileron control and see if the servo arms move in opposite directions, (again reverse in Tx in not in correct directions).

If still not working properly try swapping the two servo connections on the Rx.

The most common problem I have encountered is that one servo was mounted reverse of the way it was supposed to be and then nothing would allow the mixing to function properly.

Just a few things to try and check!

Everything works fine when I check with the Y harness, but when i pull up or down on the stick the servos move in opposite directions and when I move the stick left or right they go in the same direction. I pulled a servo out and flipped it around and it still acts the same.

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Left/right are relative the the cockpit

Pulling back on the stick, my left elevon goes down, and my right goes up. Pushing up gives the reverse of this. Rolling left makes both elevons go down, and rolling right brings both elevons up.

The reverse switches are not doing anything to help. I've tried every combination and can't seem to get it working right.
Reverse only the channel for your left elevon. Your right elevon is doing everything correctly.

Vampircorn

Unfortunately I can't do that with the DX4e. I don't understand how everyone else seems to be able to get their DX4e's working with the F-22.

Andrew

G'day Mate
Sounds like your switching both channels before testing, that's wrong, switch ONE channel then test. Keep trying you will get it, there is nothing wrong with your radio gear.

Andrew

G'day Mate
Something very unusual is going on, it's like as if one of your switches aren't working or you have some other mix going on. I'll keep thinking about it.
Edit:
Next time if you do a video have the model right way up and pointing away from you so we can help you better.
AND for your safety remove your prop because if you switch the throttle reverse by accident it may get bloody.

Last edited:

Vampircorn

I will go ahead and do that right now

Edit: Nevermind,my phone is not cooperating well right now. :mad:

Last edited:

Vampircorn

Solution

Alright, I think I have finally found out what is wrong with my transmitter. Nothing. It is all the receiver. I am using an AR636 by Spektrum that was given to me for free from a friend when he pulled it out of a destroyed RTF of his. I have used this particular receiver many times in other models for ~2 years, but they were all standard 3 channel planes. I never bothered to research it because the only thing I cared about was that it was compatible with my transmitter. It turns out that the receiver has a bunch of programmable features accessible from a mobile app that you are supposed to use instead of the switches or settings on the transmitter, which I had no idea about. I am assuming that the receiver has some settings programmed in that are conflicting with the way the elevons are set up, so I have ordered the programming cords to hopefully remedy the situation.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I've been thinking about your situation and going over the combinations you've done. You're video nicely shows every combination including mix off. Would you mind doing this one more time with the servo leads to the rcvr swapped? If this doesn't fix it I have another idea that is more likely going to fix it without having to buy any parts but involves changing the linkage between one of your servos to its elevon.

Vampircorn

I've been thinking about your situation and going over the combinations you've done. You're video nicely shows every combination including mix off. Would you mind doing this one more time with the servo leads to the rcvr swapped? If this doesn't fix it I have another idea that is more likely going to fix it without having to buy any parts but involves changing the linkage between one of your servos to its elevon.

I'm out of classes at 1:30 so I'll get some video up around then. I already ordered the parts as I would like to have access to expos and other settings while still using my DX4e. I understand that flipping the servo over would remedy this problem I am having but then the control horn wouldn't have room to move. I'll try messing with the different channels and reversals again and if I still can't fix it I'll get some video up.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I was mostly curious if swapping servo leads made a difference. It was more out of curiosity but for that matter, I could play around with my own equipment and see if I can induce the same gripe and if swapping aileron/elevator servo leads makes any difference.

I've seen this gripe a few times and remember once it was challenging as this one is so for me so now I want to figure out what's going on to diagnose it better and help others.

I would appreciate it also if when you receive the receiver if you would let us know if that fixed it. It seems odd to me that the receiver is causing this.