DX4e Elevon Mixing Problem

Vampircorn

I was mostly curious if swapping servo leads made a difference. It was more out of curiosity but for that matter, I could play around with my own equipment and see if I can induce the same gripe and if swapping aileron/elevator servo leads makes any difference.

I've seen this gripe a few times and remember once it was challenging as this one is so for me so now I want to figure out what's going on to diagnose it better and help others.

I would appreciate it also if when you receive the receiver if you would let us know if that fixed it. It seems odd to me that the receiver is causing this.

Yeah, I want to try and get this documented in the case anyone else comes across this issue and can't seem to fix it. The worst thing in the world is coming across an old forum post that almost solves your issue, but the author doesn't document their solution. I will make sure to keep this updated until I solve it. :)

quorneng

Master member
To be fair reversing the servo plugs does make a difference - everything is reversed.
If I were you I would switch off the elevon mixing and confirm that the elevator and aileron channels are work correctly to the appropriate Tx stick commands and also that they respond to the action of the Tx 'reverse' switches.
With the servos connected to the Rx elevator and aileron ports moving in the correct sense to the stick commands then simply switching on the elevon mix should give the correct movement. If it doesn't then you do indeed have another problem.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I haven't given up on this nor forgotten. My DX7 with elevon mixing on allows for switching the receiver channels individually, so that doesn't help. I have a plain Jane controller that came with an RTF mSRx. I'll give duplicating the gripe with that. Until then I have some other ideas that you might want to consider.

1) Changing the linkage set-up. You can either flip the arm on the servo around 180° or flip the link from one side of the control surface to the other. Sometimes this involves repositioning a servo which might not always be practical.

2) Resolder some internal wiring of the servo. Never done it. Some day I might. Certainly the most complicated of the 3.

3) Install a servo signal reversing lead. This can be purchased for $2 - $3 and is the simplest method and preserves aircraft layout/configuration. Though I've never used them, I should buy a couple of these to have on hand.
View attachment 83529

I hope this helps.

Vampircorn

Programming Cables Do Nothing

I haven't given up on this nor forgotten. My DX7 with elevon mixing on allows for switching the receiver channels individually, so that doesn't help. I have a plain Jane controller that came with an RTF mSRx. I'll give duplicating the gripe with that. Until then I have some other ideas that you might want to consider.

1) Changing the linkage set-up. You can either flip the arm on the servo around 180° or flip the link from one side of the control surface to the other. Sometimes this involves repositioning a servo which might not always be practical.

2) Resolder some internal wiring of the servo. Never done it. Some day I might. Certainly the most complicated of the 3.

3) Install a servo signal reversing lead. This can be purchased for $2 - $3 and is the simplest method and preserves aircraft layout/configuration. Though I've never used them, I should buy a couple of these to have on hand.
View attachment 83529

I hope this helps.

I have not forgotten either, and I will continue to update until I fix this. I received my programming cables from Horizon Hobby today, and they did nothing. I couldn't register my receiver on the Spektrum website in order to update the firmware, and the audio cable that connects the receiver to a cellphone for programming would not connect. I searched everywhere for troubleshooting solutions and I couldn't get it working no matter what I did.

Instead I ordered a 6ch Lemon Rx on amazon for $17. My AR636 came from a HobbyZone F4U Corsair, and I guess it was pre-programmed with some stuff that is messing with my elevons, so if thats the case the Lemon Rx should fix it. I needed some new receivers anyway so if this doesn't fix it then no loss for me, and I will go ahead and order a servo reverser. I also did look in to tearing apart the servo and reversing the polarity but at that point I might just give up. Also, I took the servo out a few days ago and tried to reposition it but it really wouldn't fit the airframe mounted the other direction.

Vampircorn

Final Update

Good news: The Lemon Rx worked perfectly in both my Scout and the F22, and it fixed the issue with the elevons. Looks like the AR636 had some settings that were overriding my transmitter's switches. The plane flew beautifully, good high alpha, amazing roll rates, and very fast with a 3s and a 2204-2300kv. :D

Bad news: I ran into a new problem. The F22 is now stuck 70 feet high in a tree on private property, and the owner will let me do anything besides climb the tree to get it down because he doesn't want to be held liable if I fall. The longest poles from the Home Depot weren't able to reach the plane, even when I taped them together. Time to order a new plane :mad::mad::mad::mad:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Congrats and ouch. I've been there and done that. I even tried shooting one down with a paintball gun but only managed to put several holes into the foam without knocking down a single component. I did recover it though when no one (especially my wife) was looking. I have a photo of what was left. I'll see if I can dig it up.

ofiesens2

Professional noob
When I last got my Super Cub stuck up high (probably around 75 feet) my dad got a plumb line on a rope and managed to throw it up around a branch near where the plane was stuck. He pulled on the branch enough to knock the plane loose, and I was able to throttle it out of there :) If you don't have one already, you could probably make one pretty inexpensively by getting 100-150 feet of rope and tying something heavy on the end.