DX6i Power Setting-Important

sandblaster

There is a power setting adjustment for the DX6i. Page 13 of manuel. The EU 328 standard is for Europe and is set at 100 mW output. US 247 for the US has 200 mW output, twice the power for US setting. First hand knowledge of two set for the EU 328 standard out of the box from the factory. Wonder how many people have not found this setting when they have conducted ranges testing and have it on the weaker signal.

Other Spektrum units most likely have the same settings. Wonder if other brands do as well. If in US this becomes a must check item.

Source of information here, under Power Setting:

http://www.rcheliwiki.com/Spektrum_DX6i_crib_sheet

Last edited:

PaulT

Mentor
I also have a c option which says "french".
???? Maybe this is just an option because of the fact that we have to advertise in
both official languages.
I won't try it because it may start chain smoking and asking for my daughters phone number.
And yes, i am half French Acadian, so I can say things like that!:eek:

SunShine

not crazy, just stupid
I also have a c option which says "french".
???? Maybe this is just an option because of the fact that we have to advertise in
both official languages.
I won't try it because it may start chain smoking and asking for my daughters phone number.
And yes, i am half French Acadian, so I can say things like that!:eek:
hehehe, good one :p
The reason for the different power outputs are simply legal reasons, in Europe you are not allowed to have more than 10 or 100mW @ 2.4GHz. (at least in some countries)
so technically its illegal to use your transmitter when its set to US-mode when you are in Europe, but the chances of getting finned by the police is less than the chance to win a billion dollars in the lottery. :p

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Hey Paul or one of the other mods-
How about making the opening post in this thread a sticky?

Last edited by a moderator:

sandblaster

A sticky would be nice since this site is bringing in many first timers. This maybe a well know item but it is only by luck are hard looking one will find it. My son-in-law speeds much time researching stuff before he buys and this was a surprise find to him as well.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I don’t think this is very important?
The DX7 is not able to change setting on. There are different versions for US and others. The European version number ends with an E. There was a really "infected" discussion on the net when the DX7 was new with clubs forbidding users with Spektrum radios in Europe. The time has proved that the European power setting is sufficient and you will probably not se any difference in real life unless you are flying extremely far away.

PaulT

Mentor
I thought it best to make this a sticky because it might get you that extra couple of feet on an fpv adventure!:p
I checked mine and it was on the B setting for U.S. already. I was totally unaware that I had a choice in the
two years that I have been using he DX6i.

sandblaster

Yes, it could be very important if flying and get interference and loose control of plane, or many other possible reasons. If legal, why would one want to run on half power? Purchased mine from Horizon Hobby direct, so it should have been set for US not EU. Tomorrow I will repeat the range test and see what the difference is.

I have large area to fly in, very glad I found this now not later. For some it may not be important because of where they fly. But hay, you bought the power use it, if legal.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
I´ve seen that earlier but I thought that I´ll rather stay on the legal side. When this thread came up I went on US mode (yes its illegal but I don´t care) and I´ll try to "feel" any difference. At quite a few flights I had glitchin with the perception of signal and I hope thats gone now!

Fatfish

At quite a few flights I had glitchin with the perception of signal and I hope thats gone now!

Wow, Anas - what do you fly, that you can still see it well, when the signal is lost? BTW, i also turned UK setting on, since i'm not sure of these little Orange receivers. Better be on the safe side. This may be a little off topic, but have you got a special flight insurance, as this is an obligation in germany?

For all those, who wanted to test, NightFlyyer already did it. Just watch on YouTube.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
I´ve posted your video in another thread already :)

Mhmm I don´t really know if it es because of the receiver, or due to some isolation around the receiver but I always fly on sight. However, I don´t plan to fly far distances with those orange rx receiver (If you go to my Tricopter Build link you´ll see my last order containing 5 orange rx receivers :D:D ) so I´ll just use them on close distances.

Also I never really flew more then 200 - 300 m MAX away. Sometimes it just was about couple of meters next to me. That doesn´t really bother me though. My receivers ever so far have worked good enough for me to keep the plane under control and all my crashes were mostly due to my stupidness! So that doesn´t really matter.

I might do a test on my next flight if I have enough time regarding the power output setup because I have to test my orange rx´s anyway.

I found this out this past summer when we purchased a couple. We had some issues with signal loss and actually a couple of crashes. We fly in an area close to a cell tower and a large transmission tower. After I changed the settings the issues seemed to have subsided.

sandblaster

Completed the range check with it set on the US and not EU setting. Result, over twice the range with the US setting. Almost to far away to see the control surface movements.

cornishairrc

i changed myen as soon as i got myne to us setting even thous im living in the uk for flying FPV but the rc cop might come afer me lol

sandblaster

I suspect so, for this reason. All set for the EU then all can be safely shipped to either the EU or USA and be legal. The lower EU is legal in US, the higher US is not legal in EU. My guess.