DX7 Gen 1 setup with SAFE / aeroscout - help!

Tazman70

Hi, I'm new to the forums and new to r/c flying (kind of).
I have a Gen 1 DX7 from when I started to learn on an Easy Star many years ago. I got away from things, and I'm picking it back up. I just got an aeroscout to (re)learn on, but I can't figure out how to set up the Gen 1 DX7 for it. I've always found this transmitter difficult to understand (not very intuitive).
Anyway, as you see below, the aeroscout instructions are to go to "channel assign," but there is not such menu in the DX7 Gen 1. It also instructs to assign functions to "switch H," "switch B," "and button 1," etc. but the DX7 Gen 1 switches and buttons are not designated that way.
This is my best understanding of my transmitter (not sure if I'm right here). Ch 1 is throttle, ch 2 is aileron, ch 3 is elev, ch 4 is rudder, ch 5 is the gear 2 position switch, ch 6 (flap on the transmitter) can be designated by me to be operated by either the 3-position switch or the rocker switch, and ch 7 (aux 2) can be designated by me as either the 2 position switch, the 3 position switch or the rocker switch.
Now, according to the instructions below (left), I need channel 5 (2 position gear switch on my transmitter) to be operated on the 3 position switch. If I'm correct in my understanding of what needs to happen, that is what I don't know how to do. Also according to the instructions below and left, I need ch 6 to be operated on one of the two position switches. I think I can do that. So, if I'm correct so far, what I really need help with is getting channel 5 (the two position gear switch on my transmitter) to be operated with my 3 position switch on my transmitter. Can that be done? If so, how? Is that done somehow with mixing? (I've never done anything with mixing.)
Final question: The instructions below refer to a throttle cutoff being set to one of the switches. Ideas on how to do that on my transmitter? How necessary is it really?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! If I'm not understanding this correctly, please let me know that too!
1596931037772.png

Ranger_107

Elite member
I have a Gen 1 DX7 from when I started to learn on an Easy Star many years ago. I got away from things, and I'm picking it back up. I just got an aeroscout to (re)learn on, but I can't figure out how to set up the Gen 1 DX7 for it. I've always found this transmitter difficult to understand (not very intuitive).
Anyway, as you see below, the aeroscout instructions are to go to "channel assign," but there is not such menu in the DX7 Gen 1. It also instructs to assign functions to "switch H," "switch B," "and button 1," etc. but the DX7 Gen 1 switches and buttons are not designated that way.
This is my best understanding of my transmitter (not sure if I'm right here). Ch 1 is throttle, ch 2 is aileron, ch 3 is elev, ch 4 is rudder, ch 5 is the gear 2 position switch, ch 6 (flap on the transmitter) can be designated by me to be operated by either the 3-position switch or the rocker switch, and ch 7 (aux 2) can be designated by me as either the 2 position switch, the 3 position switch or the rocker switch.
Now, according to the instructions below (left), I need channel 5 (2 position gear switch on my transmitter) to be operated on the 3 position switch. If I'm correct in my understanding of what needs to happen, that is what I don't know how to do. Also according to the instructions below and left, I need ch 6 to be operated on one of the two-position switches. I think I can do that. So, if I'm correct so far, what I really need help with is getting channel 5 (the two position gear switch on my transmitter) to be operated with my 3 position switch on my transmitter. Can that be done? If so, how? Is that done somehow with mixing? (I've never done anything with mixing.)
Final question: The instructions below refer to a throttle cutoff being set to one of the switches. Ideas on how to do that on my transmitter? How necessary is it really?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! If I'm not understanding this correctly, please let me know that too!
View attachment 176713
I am not really sure on the programming side of things but one thing i do know is that you absolutly NEED a throttle cut switch in case something bad happens and you need to stop the prop without fear that it will turn back on again and also when you are handelling the plane and you accidentally touch the throttle and injures you or others around you.

Flyingshark

Master member
Now, according to the instructions below (left), I need channel 5 (2 position gear switch on my transmitter) to be operated on the 3 position switch. If I'm correct in my understanding of what needs to happen, that is what I don't know how to do. Also according to the instructions below and left, I need ch 6 to be operated on one of the two position switches. I think I can do that. So, if I'm correct so far, what I really need help with is getting channel 5 (the two position gear switch on my transmitter) to be operated with my 3 position switch on my transmitter. Can that be done? If so, how? Is that done somehow with mixing? (I've never done anything with mixing.)
View attachment 176713
I don't think I can be very helpful on the 'how to' end due to my lack of knowledge about the DX7, but I did notice that the "Computerized Transmitter Setup" seems to refer to the Gen2 DX7, not the Gen 1 that you have. That probably is the reason why there isn't a switch H or B or button 1.

I googled the DX7 manual and found this:
https://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/DX7_Manual.pdf
Page 31 - Aircraft programming guide looked like it could be promising.

Also, based on my knowledge from (attempting to) program a DXe:
https://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/SPM1000-manual-MULTI.pdf
Under "Transmitter Control" in the DXe manual it lists a bunch of features.

Your "Switch H" sounds like the motor arm/cutoff switch on the DXe. (#21)
"Switch B" is equivalent to the DXe's 3-position flight mode switch. (#14)
"Button I" is the panic button. (#16)

Looking through the diagram on page 17 in the Gen 1 DX7 manual, I don't think you have any equivalent of those buttons/switches.

Maybe Spektrum might be able to help?

Tazman70

Thanks for the fast responses! I actually just found an answer in a google search. It makes sense, fits my theory that I need to do it by mixing, and tells exactly how to do that. (And it seems to have worked to switch the channels assigned to the 2 and 3 position switches). I'll post it below for anyone else's benefit. Also, I did put a request in to Spektrum. I'm curious if the provide the same solution.

I stole the following from a thread on another forum, and I want to give credit to "Ivan" for his excellent instructions here! Programming switches on DX7 Gen 1

To work with the 3-position switch controlling channel 5 and the 2-position GEAR switch controlling channel 6. You have to follow this:

1. First you need to go to the SYSTEM MENU - with the transmitter turned off press down and hold the DOWN and SELECT buttons while turning on the power.

2. Go to [INPUT SELECT] :

2.1. Change AUX2: to 3P SW and AUX2 TRIM: to INH. This will be used to mix the AUX2 channel (ch. 7) to channel 5 (GEAR) so you can use the 3-position switch to control it.

2.2. Change FLAP: to INH and FLAP TRIM: to INH - this is needed to disable any controls on channel 6 (FLAP) as you can not select directly a 2-position switch to control it. We'll do that with a mix from the GEAR switch further down in step 5.

3. Press DOWN and SELECT at the same time to get to the main transmitter screen.

4. Press DOWN and SELECT again to get into the main adjustment menu.

5. Go to [PROG.MIX1] and enable it by pressing either the INCREASEor DECREASE button.

5.1. On the second line change the master control (to the left of the arrow) to GEAR.

5.2. Also on the second line of the menu change the slave channel (to the right of the arrow) to FLAP. Use the SELECT button to scroll through the fields inside the mix menu.

5.3. Scroll to RATE: and flip the GEAR switch in one position, then change the active rate value to +100%; flip the GEAR switch in the other direction - the arrow in rate will move to the other value - change that one also to +100%.

5.4. Make sure that SW: is set to ON and OFFSET: is at 0. If they are not change them to those values.

What we achieved in step 5 is to make the GEAR switch (2-position) control the FLAP channel 6.

6. Go to [PROG.MIX2] and enable it - navigating through all PROG.MIXes is identical so I will skip describing which buttons to use - check that in step 5.

6.1. Change the master control on line 2 to the left of the arrow to GEAR.

6.2. Change the slave channel on line 2 to the right of the arrow to GEAR which is channel 5.

6.3. Enter -100% for BOTH values of RATE: - remember you will need to flip the GEAR switch to select one of the values then the other one in the same manner as in step 5.2.

6.4. Make sure SW: is set to ON and OFFSET: to 0 and if not change them accordingly.

The mix in step 6 disables the 2-position GEAR switch from controlling the GEAR channel 5 because we want channel 5 (GEAR) to be controlled by the 3-position switch instead.

7. Go to [PROG.MIX3] and enable it.

7.1. Change the master control to the left of the arrow on line 2 to AUX2.

7.2. Change the slave channel to the right of the arrow on line 2 to GEAR.

7.3. Change both RATE: values to +100% - this time you will have to flip the 3-position switch to select each rate value so you can change it.

7.4. Make sure SW: is set to ON and OFFSET: to 0 and if not change them to those values.

What we achieved in step 7 is to use the 3-position switch to control the GEAR channel 5.

8. Go to the servo monitor screen and confirm that the switches are operating channels 5 and 6 as desired. If necessary reverse channel 5 (GEAR) and/or channel 6 (FLAP).

That's it! Enjoy your DX7!

Ivan

Last edited: