DX7 (Original) Flaperon/Elevon (F-22 Style) Mixing: HELP!

fr4nk1yn

I hope this is the right area.

My recent plane wasn't unique enough and the wing loading wasn't high enough, that's a joke, so I decided to add two more servos.
The idea was to run flaperons and elevons which Google said the F-22 uses. I found a few old posts scattered over the web, none seem to work so I started from scratch.

The problem is: If I get the elevons to work properly as elevators one will not work as an elevon.
The same with the flaperons, If I get them to work as flaps one does not work as an aileron.
If I the elevon working as an elevon it will not work as an elevator and the same with the flaperon.

I've swapped wires, reversed channels and changed the mixing. I'm fried.

here's the current, nonworking, mix:
  • Right Elevon: Elevator
  • Right Aileron: Aux 1 (Flap)
  • Left Elevon: Gear
  • Left Aileron: Aileron

• Mix 1: Gear > Gear, Rate -100%/-100% (to inhibit the switch)
  • Mix 2: Aileron > Gear, Rate: +100%/+100%
  • Mix 3: Aileron > Elevator, Rate: +100%/+100%
  • Mix 4: Aileron > Flap, Rate -100%/-100%
  • Mix 5: Flap > Aileron, Rate: +100%/+100%
  • Mix 6: Elevator > Gear, Rate -100%/-100%

I even tried changing the order in case it followed some type of priority that wasn't mentioned in the manual.

Ideas? Please!

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I am confused.
Why using mixers to do basic flaperon/elevon when it is selectable.
If you are using 4 wing servos and butterfly you will need all mixes in the DX7 - check the programming instructions on the net for E-Flite Mini Ultra Stick.

fr4nk1yn

I am confused.
Why using mixers to do basic flaperon/elevon when it is selectable.
If you are using 4 wing servos and butterfly you will need all mixes in the DX7 - check the programming instructions on the net for E-Flite Mini Ultra Stick.
I'm not doing a basic mix I'm trying to get flaperons AND tailerons (delta) with 4 servos on two, actually four,different control surfaces. The mini ultra stick doesn't have that set up that I know of.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Give this a try:

RAL-> aileron plug
LAL -> aux1 plug
LEL -> elevator plug
REL -> gear plug

- Set the wing type to flaperon -- you don't want your ailerons mixing in elevator, so manually mix elevons.
- Setup the flap system in it's seperate menu.
- Set the gear setting in the "input select" menu to "INH" -- otherwise, the switch still changes the servo position!

- mix elevator -> gear
- mix aileron -> elevator
- mix aileron -> -gear

For your mixes, the "master channel" is typically the stick input, un-mixed, so you *shouldn't* see flaps mix into the elevons, but doublecheck.

To implement this, double check *ALL* your work on the monitor screen -- it'll give you real-time measure of what's going out to the servos (keep in mind servos can be reversed on the airframe).

start with only the flaperon mix turned on and verify all the servos are working as you'd expect a plain-jane flaperon would work. Then add on the extra elevator to the gear channel, and verify they stay in sync. then add on the mix of aileron to the elevator and confirm it works and flaps dont' mix in. finally, add the negitive aileron mix on the gear.

put in the mixes one step at a time, and you can see where the radio starts misunderstanding what you want . . . or you make it all work :)

fr4nk1yn

@Craftydan I'm man enough to send you a virtual kiss! :-*

I assumed, since the other mixes I saw didn't use the setting, flaperon operation would mix with the elevons.
Of course it doesn't because aileron is mixed and apparently the DX7 only mixes the channel NOT it's operaton.

Here's the setup, after testing on the plane:

• Flaperon: On
  • Left Aileron: Aux 1
  • Right Aileron: Aileron
  • Left Elevon: Elevator (Reversed) (Also 78% DR?) (AND 78%/78% Travel Adjust)
  • Right Elevon: Gear
  • Mix 1: Elev > Gear, Rate: +100%/+100%
  • Mix 2: Aile > Elev, Rate: -100%/-100%
  • Mix 3 AIler > Gear, Rate: +100/+100%
  • Mix 4: Gear > Gear, Rate -115%/-85% (Huh?)(To inhibit switch)

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Brother, I'll take a friendly virtual hug (otherwise, my wife simply wouldn't approve ;) )

Glad that worked for you -- Spektrum mixing is powerful juju, but just about as mysterious . . .

You can remove the 4th mix if you set the gear setting to "inh" in the "input select" screen -- that screen effectively lets you remap channel 5 and 7 to other switches . . . or nowhere at all, leaving it subject to the whims of any mixing.

fr4nk1yn

Brother, I'll take a friendly virtual hug (otherwise, my wife simply wouldn't approve ;) )

Glad that worked for you -- Spektrum mixing is powerful juju, but just about as mysterious . . .

You can remove the 4th mix if you set the gear setting to "inh" in the "input select" screen -- that screen effectively lets you remap channel 5 and 7 to other switches . . . or nowhere at all, leaving it subject to the whims of any mixing.
Hug it is!

I don't see a setting to disable the gear switch. Only:

Aux2: INH
Aux2 Trim:INH
Flap:System
Flap: Trim:A

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Sorry about that . . . That's a heli mode option :eek: I was in the wrong section of the manual.

Strange . . . I'd have expected a setting to disable that, but aparently not. What you have should work, and you've got the mixes to waste, so go with what works!

fr4nk1yn

Thanks again. It certainly does work. Some of the settings needed to be janky but all the travels are are even.
One thing I didn't expect, although I didn't know what to expect was the "swash binding". Full elevator and full aleron makes for some crazy travel on the elevons.

Unfortunately I won't be able to try the plane out until Monday.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I'm not doing a basic mix I'm trying to get flaperons AND tailerons (delta) with 4 servos on two, actually four,different control surfaces. The mini ultra stick doesn't have that set up that I know of.
I have 4 wing servos.
All surfaces works with aileron.
All surfaces works with elevator.
All surfaces works with butterfly.
I imagine it will work on a delta if the elevator function is reversed in the setup.
It takes ALL mixes in the DX7 and they have to be in a specific order for it to work.

fr4nk1yn

@pgerts I just looked at butterfly mixing. Very complex with awesome effect.
I'm still wrapping my head around mixing in general.