Help! Dx7s and Orange RX receiver binding issues

myshoeistoobig

Hello,
I have a Spektrum Dx7s and I bought an Orange Rx receiver to pair with it. On initial setup I could not get the bind to stick. The receiver would always boot back up without the bind. After several frustrating hours, I gave up and used my older frysky transmitter.
The next time I approached the issue, I remembered that I had put a SD card in the DX7s to expand the memory. I thought maybe this could be the problem. I then tried the bind procedure again with the Spektrum transmitter and the orange Rx and it worked! I was able to retain the bind after everything power cycled.
Then! I left to go fly and the bind was gone again. What am I doing wrong?

FDS

Elite member
Have you checked the frame rate in the system setup menu for the troublesome model? Default is 22Ms, you might want to try it on 11ms.

myshoeistoobig

I did try to mess around with that setting. The transmitter warns me that it needs digital servos to operate at 11ms. Will the standard servos still work?

FDS

Elite member
I am not sure about that, DSMX is supposedly 11ms and DSM2 is 22ms.
You are not alone in this problem, there’s a few threads on RC Groups which I am having trouble viewing, no idea why.

Bricks

Master member
How close to the receiver is your transmitter it does not happen often but there is what some call a double bind. What happens is the receiver picks up 2 signals one directly from the transmitter antenna and one bouncing off of something in the local environment at the same time. When I bind my DX9 I will turn away from the receiver putting my body between the receiver and radio, point the antenna directly away from the receiver.

Reactions: FDS

myshoeistoobig

I read through the RC Groups post and that sounds very familiar. I have tried moving away from the receiver and completing the bind process that way with no success. I really thought the SD card was my issue.
Also, what is strange is that when I do the bind procedure, I can control the servos and ESC that are connected. It is just when I power everything off it does not come back up. Is there a save function on the receiver or transmitter that I missing?

FDS

Elite member
Binding should be a one time deal, what happens is that the TX sends a “digital handshake” to the RX when the bind plug/button is in, that tells it which TX to listen to, so it won’t recognise any other signals on he same wavelength. Once the receiver has that handshake it stores it in its memory and shouldn’t need to do it again. What is happening with yours is that it is not storing the bind info when you switch off.

Last edited:

Keno

[QUOTE= I really thought the SD card was my issue.
A friend of mine had the same problem with his DX7 and SD card, I believe he said he got some advice from Horizon and had a explanation of why it was causing problems. This is second hand hear say so take as you wish. A spekturm radio when it is turn on it first looks for a SD card, I.E., for up grades. If it not found or has no needed data, It proceeds with booting up and bring the radio to life. I note that you have a problem even when the SD card in not present. I don't know if this info is helpful and you might quarry Horizon.

FDS

Elite member
You could send the TX back to Horizon Hobby, their repair service in the USA has a good reputation, at least from what I read here.
Have you tried other DSMX receivers with it?

myshoeistoobig

You could send the TX back to Horizon Hobby, their repair service in the USA has a good reputation, at least from what I read here.
Have you tried other DSMX receivers with it?

I have another brand RX that worked great with the Tx. It must be the Rx then.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I did try to mess around with that setting. The transmitter warns me that it needs digital servos to operate at 11ms. Will the standard servos still work?

DSMX will operate at 22ms. It IS correct that only digital servos will work at 11ms, or in the case of a quad, it will send out a digital signal via the flight controller at 11ms. This is why you see the difference between the 11ms and 22ms. Trust me, if you're flying fixed wing, that 11ms isn't going to make much (if any) noticeable difference for you in reaction time. :)

FDS

Elite member
Thank you for answering that. I am only a couple of months into my control systems learning, I know that real and perceived latency is always a controversial topic, fortunately my reactions are slow enough that anything under 0.5seconds is largely wasted on my slowness!

Bricks

Master member
Thank you for answering that. I am only a couple of months into my control systems learning, I know that real and perceived latency is always a controversial topic, fortunately my reactions are slow enough that anything under 0.5seconds is largely wasted on my slowness!

The really good pilots do not react to the plane like us poor peons they are flying ahead of the plane, giving controls before the plane gets there, that is why they fly so smooth, and only giving as much control as the plane requires. Someday hopefully I will get that far along I am getting better about being proactive instead of being reactive.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Thank you for answering that. I am only a couple of months into my control systems learning, I know that real and perceived latency is always a controversial topic, fortunately my reactions are slow enough that anything under 0.5 seconds is largely wasted on my slowness!

No worries. :) I only know this about the 22ms because of the way the Spektrum radios bind up and having my voice notifications set to state it when it completes binding; my Inductrix and my 5" quad are the only two that bound to 11ms by default; the others went to 22ms. :)

myshoeistoobig

Hello! there is a new wrinkle to this. I tried again a few different times to get this to work this past weekend. I discovered that the RX goes into bind mode without the bind plug installed. I think that no matter what, the RX when powered on goes into bind mode and does not retain the previous "handshake". I am going to see if I can get it repaired. I would really like to give the telemetry system a shot.

FDS

Elite member
I would return that RX. Get another or spend a bit more and buy the Lemon RX telemetry receiver, its very good.

myshoeistoobig

Hobbyking was great about the return, they just credited my account. I have a similar OrangeRX coming from them (bought on sale), but it is en route from China and is taking forever. (Amazon just spoils us).
I will give the Lemon Rx a shot too. It is nice to have multiple RX ready.